Deco X60 appears to reboot regularly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-04 08:53:30
Model: Deco  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.3 build 20200330 Rel. 41420

nearly on a daily basis I lose connectivity to the Deco devices when using one of my devices ( usually my surface 4 pro )

When I check the Deco routers, both master and slave are showing a solid red light.

After a bit ( which I assume corresponds to a reboot cycle ) the light turns green again and connections can be re-established.

During this period, there is no internet outage or other issue with the ISP router.

I know this for sure since my work pc is connected to the wifi signal from the ISP router itself and is connected to work with VPN

This VPN does not disconnect at any time, nor does the ISP wifi drop during the "issue" with the DECO devices.

Is there any way to enable some sort of debugging because none of the items in the app allow for troubleshooting.

The DECO's are running in AP mode ( I had trouble accessing some device wired to the ISP router if I didn't )

any guidance into debug would be appreaciated

Options
22 Reply
Re:Deco X60 appears to reboot regularly
2020-06-09 12:50:06 - last edited 2020-06-09 12:52:06

@bartvincke 

Exact same issue here.  X60 units will drop WiFi and reboot many times a day.  Light goes from green to yellow to red then back to green.  Then I get a notification the malware database was updated.

This is the SECOND set of X60s - we sent the first set back thinking it was a HW issue but the second set is doing the same thing.  Unless there is a 'fix' they too will go back to Costco.

Ours are running in Router mode and I have confirmed that there is no internet outage at the cable modem during these reboots.

Any hope?

Options
2020-06-09 15:17:16

@bartvincke what I managed to find so far is that the issue occurs when my surface pro 4 is used.

all drivers and firmware up to date.

I suspect the deco and the marvel avastar nic don't like each other.

in any case, a full wifi crash (all ap's)  due to a single device connecting should never happen so I do expect Tp-link to look into this matter and provide a stability fix in the firmware.

Options
2020-06-10 19:07:37
I have noticed more updates to the database lately, but for me it's one a day max. And not every day. I do wish they would update this less frequently though. Once a month seems fine to me. Not sure where to direct that complaint though.
Options
2020-06-10 20:08:57

@bartvincke Me as well.  There is no event that I can pinpoint that causes the reboot either.  Typically once a day at a random time throughout the day.  (Yesterday at 7:20 am, today at 3:20 pm) For what it's worth, I do not have a Surface Pro.  The ISP's modem is fine during these reboots.  My computer hardwired into the modem continues to operate normally during these "outages."

Options
2020-06-10 20:50:08

@bartvincke I spoke with "support" through their chat feature.  The agent told me that this is due to the security database update.  In order to apply the security database update, the units need to go offline, and there is no option to schedule the push.  He told me to "be patient."  Apparently randomly going offline is acceptable to TP-Link.  He also said that turning off the security feature will not fix this.  "Notification in advance" or "scheduling security updates" is not in upcoming firmware updates.  This is a showstopper for me.

Options
2020-06-10 21:45:12

@imikem Wow, if what they told you is accurate that would be a deal-breaker for just about anyone. 

We are sending back our second set of X60s back to COSTCO as they continue to reboot 'at random' that that is simply not something we can live with having two adults on conference calls and WebEx meetings all day and two teenagers on school meetings and playing games.  Crazy.  

Options
2020-06-11 15:01:41
Honestly, I hope tons of complaints here make it a priority to fix through a firmware update. The first couple of months there was an update like once a month, now it's once a day/every 2 days. Does anybody from TP-LINK even read this forum, or are we just chatting amongst ourselves? Where to direct a complaint about it? Does anybody know? I mean a formal one, not chatting with a customer service agent.
Options
2020-06-12 00:03:15
Options
2020-06-22 20:11:13

Well that was short lived.  A few days of zero problems, and then today the units have rebooted 3 times.

I upgraded to the latest release firmware of 1.2.4 Build 20200527 Rel. 42769.  I do NOT have any Surface Pros.  There is something systematically wrong with this hardware.

IPTV/VLAN- Disabled

MAC Clone - Disabled

TP-LINK DDNS - Disabled

SIP ALG - Disabled

Fast Roaming - Disabled

Operating Mode - Router

Malicious Content Filter - Off

Intrusion Prevention System - Off

Infected Device Quarantine - Off

Options
2020-06-24 13:36:35

@bartvincke in my case the situation appears to have changed after the latest firmware update last week.

This one included a surface pro fix ( which I use ) so I had high hopes

( So far ) it no longer crashes the whole mesh but twice now during the last week the Deco I'm connected at suddenly cuts out, starts blinking red and importantly does not recover anymore.

This is different then before where all deco's used to go down , now only the connected one, and before it was a restart, all deco's recovered without me unplugging or using the reset button, which is something now I do need to do with that one deco device.

The devices however are less impacted as they unnoticeable roam to another deco and continue working.

Options