Deco X60 LAN IP Changes After Reboot

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2021-03-24 02:30:30 - last edited 2021-04-27 10:08:31
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.5

Deco X60, purchased couple weeks ago, immediately updated to 1.0.5 firmware so can't speak about previous behavior.

Currently, the device is unable to save the LAN IP address that I manually enter (Settings >> Advanced >> LAN IP). I don't want to have the standard IP address 192.168.0.1, I change it to 192.168.<some_number>.1, and it works just fine, up until it's rebooted! After reboot, it decides to jump back to the previous 0.1 value. Moreover, after a few reboots, it decided to use 192.168.4.1 number. How can this be fixed to accept the user input and never change the LAN IP?

I have internal DNS server setup for pihole, and couple more devices with address reservation to use static IPs. This random change of main IP causes all those devices reconfiguration which is really inconvenient. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Interestingly, the manual DNS servers entries never get changed, whatever I enter stays there. Would be great if LAN IP doesn't think a "smart" way and just follows the user entry. Can this be done pls?

Just wanted to add that I read the other posts suggesting to change the DNS server to not be in the LAN IP range, but I'm not sure if that would help as I need to access that same DNS server device in the internal network to check the pihole logs etc, or connect to it via VNC. Changing the DNS IP to out-of-range value doesn't help in this situation.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco X60 LAN IP Changes After Reboot-Solution
2021-03-24 11:34:09 - last edited 2021-04-27 10:08:31

@TP1979 

Hi, did you use the Pi-hole IP as the DNS server under IPV4 WAN settings?

if yes, it would be the IP conflict that caused the constant changes of the LAN IP address;

Deco will use the following parameters to detect whether there is a conflict.

LAN IP+subnet mask==WAN IP+subnet mask 

LAN IP+subnet mask==WAN DNS+ subnet mask

And if there is a conflict, Deco will change the LAN IP automatically, especially after restarting Deco.

For more details, please have a look at this link: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/203366?replyId=531168

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco X60 LAN IP Changes After Reboot-Solution
2021-03-24 11:34:09 - last edited 2021-04-27 10:08:31

@TP1979 

Hi, did you use the Pi-hole IP as the DNS server under IPV4 WAN settings?

if yes, it would be the IP conflict that caused the constant changes of the LAN IP address;

Deco will use the following parameters to detect whether there is a conflict.

LAN IP+subnet mask==WAN IP+subnet mask 

LAN IP+subnet mask==WAN DNS+ subnet mask

And if there is a conflict, Deco will change the LAN IP automatically, especially after restarting Deco.

For more details, please have a look at this link: https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/203366?replyId=531168

Thank you very much.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco X60 LAN IP Changes After Reboot
2021-03-24 16:20:19 - last edited 2021-03-24 16:46:54

@TP-Link 

Thanks for reply and details. So what would be my option to enable Pi-hole for X60? DNS server has to be in the network right? Would it be possible to add a switch in advanced options to disable the IP change?

I have a reserved IP address for PI-hole server, out of DHCP range, not really conflicting with any other IPs, so if Deco tries to resolve IP conflicts it has to consider these facts as well, or just leave the setup to the user who knows what to do. Can we pls have an option to customize this via switch to turn off the IP resolve? Or, what would be my option to set this up properly using PI-hole DNS server?

EDIT: as I dig more, the router looks like have DNS rebind protection permanently enabled, which is causing this conflict. Would it be possible to add a switch to turn this off if DNS server is within the local IP range, but outside of DHCP?

Options
2021-03-25 01:10:31

@TP1979 

Hi, Did you use the guest network on the Deco?

If not, you could consider using the Pi-hole DNS under DHCP settings;

Thank you very much.

Options
2021-06-12 14:55:50

Same thing is happening to me on a DECO AX5700.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1033

Replies: 4

Related Articles