validate mesh setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

validate mesh setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
validate mesh setup
validate mesh setup
2020-05-11 11:19:27
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.2.11

Hi all, 

Just installed my Deco M9 plus package with two nodes. Upon configuration via the app I had both nodes connected via cable to the WAN-router. Then I changed it to disconnect one node to the WAN, but instead plug this cable into the first node. 

so my setup is:

WAN router -- node 1 (they are next to eachother)

node 1 -- node 2 (via Ethernet cable). Node 2 is located on 1st floor of the house. 

How can I validate if the mesh technology is active and working, in other words... will the connected devices switch connection automatically from node 1 to node 2 and vice versa upon change in signal strength? 

Thanks! 

Options
11 Reply
Re:validate mesh setup
2020-05-15 12:40:51

@BasK 

In your case, the network diagram is no problem, the two Deco units build a mesh network via the wired connection.

Normally, when a client moves from one Deco to the other one, the Deco system will recommend the client to roam to the closest Deco unit when the device is moving around. However, whether to roam or not depends on the device itself.

Options
2020-05-18 09:53:05 - last edited 2020-05-18 11:18:20

@TP-Link_Deco 

Ok. I was searching for a way to validate if it actually works that a client connects from one unit to the other. (since I changed my physical network config after the initial setup via the Deco app).  Addition: I have found the command 'netsh wflan show interfaces' to see which BSSID you are connected to as a way to identify the current access point. And indeed, changing AP's goes very smoothly and fast is my first impression.

Another question is if a unit needs to have a wired connect to the WAN router. I understand the units communicate wirelessly amongst eachother, but, I have an area in the house with lesser coverage and I'm thinking to put a additional unit in the middle of that area to cover this gap. However, I can't provide a Ethernet connection for this extra unit to the WAN router. 

Options
2020-05-20 09:50:42

@BasK 

Deco units can connect to each other via Wi-Fi. If you want to add a new Deco into the existing Deco network, please check if the signal strength is good enough from the existing Deco network on the location where you plan to place the new Deco. If yes, then you can add a new Deco into the existing Deco network to expand the Wi-Fi range.

Options
2020-06-17 09:22:43

@TP-Link_Deco 

I have an entirely different question, but definitely important! 

I have a pretty strong WAN bandwith. I've measured it many times and it's quite steadily 500Mbps downstream. 

Me and my wife both work at home (Corona) and she MS Teams calls a lot. She's having immense connection issues and I have to revert my laptop to 4G hotspot via my phone , otherwise the connection is useless. Internally we have good signal strength to the Deco nodes. Both nodes are wired to the WAN router.

The traffic from both our clients is nothing in relation to the capacity indicated by the speed test. I've given her device high priority and also chat regarding the type of data traffic. 

None of this helps. As soon as I connect to our wifi network again I can hear her conversation getting troubled. There's a direct effect. 

She's using the 'K3 laptop' device and for me it's the 'PPUTC181'. My traffic is a bit higher than hers probably due the virtual desktop I'm running for work reasons. 

What could be the issue why we can't work together on the wifi given the above capacity? 

See: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rNMlm9A9P9GUdIRuX-mHZVyPSnFPM69K/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1haPcNKahaqX4VB57N0VIw1OlHONUbGsu/view?usp=sharing

Many thanks,

Bas de Kort

Options
2020-06-17 09:49:15

@TP-Link_Deco 

And to add, I have now connected the 'K3 laptop' device with a LAN-cable to one of the Deco nodes (which defeats the purpose of having this product obviously, but for testing and emergency only) and then there are no issues with the MS Teams calls combined with me working as well from device. 

So that confirms the fact that both our devices on wifi somehow conflict, interfere. It's not a capacity related problem. 

Options
2020-06-19 09:49:42

@BasK 

Just double confirm, are the two Deco nodes connected to the front router via cable directly?
If so, it's not suggested to do that if Deco nodes work in the Router mode, when Deco works in the router mode, only the main Deco need to connect to the front router by a cable.

When only the 'K3 laptop' connected to the Deco's Wi-Fi, will it work properly with the MS Teams calls?

What's the model number of the 'K3 laptop' and the model number of the laptop's wireless adapter?

Options
2020-06-19 11:00:38

@TP-Link_Deco 

Just double confirm, are the two Deco nodes connected to the front router via cable directly?
If so, it's not suggested to do that if Deco nodes work in the Router mode, when Deco works in the router mode, only the main Deco need to connect to the front router by a cable.

Indeed, both of them have their own wire to the main router (provided by the ISP). I can just pull the wire from the node that is on 1st floor. On ground floor I have the Deco node located just next to the ISP router. 

When only the 'K3 laptop' connected to the Deco's Wi-Fi, will it work properly with the MS Teams calls?

Yes, if if I disconnect my client from the Deco network then the 'K3 laptop' client doesn't have the network issues.

What's the model number of the 'K3 laptop' and the model number of the laptop's wireless adapter?

Model number: Dell Latitude 5480

Wireless adapter: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10YC3zTQZrTSFOew0C0ntwxJoN-MBydJE/view?usp=sharing

Options
2020-06-24 09:44:10

@BasK 

Please check if the wireless adapter of the K3 laptop has installed the latest driver. If not, please try to update the driver.

Currently, the latest driver version of the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 is 20.70.0.5.

Options
2020-06-25 10:52:23

@TP-Link_Deco 

I will do that, thanks. 

Then I have a question if there is a command or facility in the Deco app to check the connection strength in between nodes. 

I am thinking of moving the second ('wireless)' node to another place in the house, so that there is better coverage outside of the house, however the connection to the first node may suffer from this. Current coverage from outside is only around 34% 

Options
2020-09-04 10:38:54

@TP-Link_Deco 

Another question please: I have order a SmartThings Multipurpose Sensor (IM6001-MPP) 

I was able to connect this sensor with the Deco Home app. 

Then I started using Automation. I was able to define a trigger + action. Trigger/action: when door opens send notification.

Two questions:

a) I am not able to add a second trigger. What I want to do: when door closes send notification.

b) I expected the notification to be on the OS of my phone like whatsapp sends you a notification upon incoming messages. The notification is IN the deco home app. Is this feature available or (hint) something for future version of the app? 

Kind regards,

Bas de Kort

Options