Setting up TP-Link as slave to DSL Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-01-25 04:01:25
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TD-W8960N

Hardware Version : V4

Firmware Version :

ISP : Be Internet

I have a router supplied by my ISP which is effectively locked down, the wireless on that router give me a massive 35 Mbps (yes i know... awesome) so I wanted to get something that would allow me to stream movies wirelessly in the house. The setup I had before was Thompson DSL router downstairs (ISP router) running the DSL connection and Wireless, a TP-Link 200Mbps Power over Ethernet connecting upstairs to a Netgear ADSL Wireless router (somewhat flaky device). This router had DHCP disabled and a static IP address, I had configured wireless with the same SSID, password and channel as the ISP router and they were all happy and everything was working (most of the time except when the netgear would crash or the 35MB wifi was too slow to achieve what I wanted).

What I would like to do is this... ISP router downstairs with wifi disabled so it just handles DHCP and DSL connection, router upstairs (New TP-Link) running new WiFi, DHCP disabled (static IP address for Router) but connected to router downstairs through TP-Link Power over Ethernet.

I was hoping it was as simple as the Netgear router where disabling DHCP was enough for it to see the other router and just work but it isn't doing that :(

I can ping the ISP router but cannot get to the internet, does anyone have any solutions for this?

thanks in advance
Options
2 Reply
Re:Setting up TP-Link as slave to DSL Router
2013-01-25 09:26:13
Try to assure that there is not IP conflict between the routers.You could try to set a static IP on the computer for a test.
Options
Re:Setting up TP-Link as slave to DSL Router
2013-01-26 03:41:17
Managed to solve the issue... instead of disabling DHCP I set it to forward to primary router.

Thanks for your help
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3120

Replies: 2