Optimum setup for Deco M5 with VirginHub 3.0

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-18 14:03:18
Model: AC500  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: 1.4.4

MODEL AC1300 - I've recently purchased the wifi extender Deco M5 as we had blackspots in the house.  This has fixed the issue however not sure if I'm maximising the internet speeds.  Some threads talk about disconecting the router and using as modem etc.  

I have one disc plugged directly to the Virgin Hub with the other two strategically placed around the house.  I also have Sky Q which are operating via Virgin Hub as cannot pick up the Deco M5.  Is this something to do with 2g/5g?  

As a non techy can someone provide simple recomendations to adjust the settings on the Virgin Hub and the Deco so I'm operating the most efficient process.  I seem to have sacrificed speed for access everywhere and ideally want both.

Many thanks

Options
4 Reply
Re:Optimum setup for Deco M5 with VirginHub 3.0
2020-05-20 12:05:51

@stujomiles 

Hi, 
Deco provides 2.4G and 5G at the same time, if you have a device that supports both Wi-Fi bands, it should be fine to connect the device to the Deco. If the device only supports 2.4G or 5G, you can also switch off one Wi-Fi band on the Deco app to have a try.

For the speed problem, how many speeds do you have when connected to the virgin hub by an ethernet cable directly? How many speeds do you have when connecting to the main Deco by an Ethernet cable?
When connecting a device to the main Deco's Wi-Fi network, how many speeds do you have on your device?

By the way, whether the main Deco is the two slave Deco's source Deco? On your Deco app, you can click on the Internet icon and click on a slave Deco to see this source Deco of the slave Deco.

Options
2020-05-20 12:16:47

@TP-Link_Deco thanks for reply.

My question is would it be optimum and consitent speed around the house if I changed the Virgin Hub to modem only and had the main Deco plugged into that.  The two slave decos are linked to main deco.  Issue is Sky Q only operates 2g.

The speed is fluctuating up to 99 for download and down to 0.40Mbps averaging around 25.  This is very low compared to my previous speeds which maintained at 100mbps but obviously didn't have the coverage across house.

I just want the deco to provide consistent speeds and wondered if their was an optimum set up I should complete with the Virgin Hub 3.0

Stu

Options
2020-05-21 09:51:30

@stujomiles 

On your Deco app, you can click on the Internet icon and click on a slave Deco to see this source Deco of the slave Deco. And only you can see the signal strength from the source Deco, with this information, you can place your Deco in a suitable location.

Which mode have you configured on the Deco? Router or AP?

If they are working in the Router mode, you can set up your VirginHub 3.0 works in the modem router mode, and then configure the Deco works in the AP mode, and check if the speed will be better.

If Sky Q only operates on 2.4G, you can enable the guest network and turn off the 5G on the guest network, then connect the sky Q to the 2.4G guest network.

Options
2020-05-22 10:18:19
When I put Virgin Hub 3.0 into modem mode it drops internet access. I plug the main deco into the hub put nothing. I've also put Sky Q onto the guest network 2.4g however now Sky Q keeps freezing. Are there suggested advanced settings for Virgin Hub 3.0, the channels to use and best way to get the most out of Deco? It seems intermittent at moment causing outages on Sky Q and Deco. Although we do get more coverage but at expense of speed and stability.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3894

Replies: 4

Related Articles