X60 unstable after "database security update"

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-18 21:38:00

I have had Deco X60 for a few weeks, working fine. 

Starting this morning, the network got unstable after a Database Security Update was pushed. Tech support told me to reset the Decos and re-configure the network picking a different Deco as Main, which I did.

After resetting everything, things worked for about 1 hour when the same database security update was pushed again, crashing everything.

TP-Link, what is going on??? Beta-testing on users is not OK. You should also allow for accepting / not accepting these updates

Options
14 Reply
Re:X60 unstable after "database security update"
2020-05-20 12:18:55

@ReallyHopeful 

Hi,
After the database security is updated, how about the LED status on the Deco? Does Deco still has a solid green light when the problem happens?
How do you recover the internet connection? By reboot Deco or the internet will recover automatically?
Do all of your clients have no internet at the same time? Do the clients still connected to the Deco's Wi-Fi name?

We will keep recording the request that allows for accepting/not accepting database security updates. Then we can forward it to our product engineer and they can work on it. If there are any updates, we will upload it to our official website. 
Good day.

Options
2020-05-20 17:18:43

@TP-Link_Deco In sum, my Deco X60s had been up and running for 3 weeks or so. All good, I have 25 clients on the systems. Then I got an alert message that a "database security update" had been pushed to the system. From that point, internet speed was intermittent / slow, Zoom calls were dropped, then started again, dropped again: ie., the system was unstable. Basic troubleshoot of rebooting the cable modem, rebooting the Decos did not help.

So I reset to factory all Decos, and reconfigured the network as I would do if the units were brand new. The Decos went up and running, all green. The system was fine for 1 hour, then I got an alert that the "database security update" had been uploaded. It looks like the reset to factory brought back the Deco to a status pre-security update, but then your central system pushed it through again. The same mess happened again. System unstable, packets dropped, websites taking forever to load, internet connection dropping entirely, then up again. It affected all Decos, all clients.

After seeing no response from you, I re-packed the Decos X60 and returned them. I think they are potentially a good product, but with people working from home you cannot screw an update so badly. It is just poor update practice. You should put an alert out that an update is available. A few people will upload it, you'll get warnings, deal with them... but you would avoid that a bug-filled update affects all your customers. It is enough that an engineer had a happy hour before coding that you lose customers.

So, problem solved for me. I moved to another vendor.

Options
2020-06-11 20:35:01

@TP-Link_Deco I am seeing the exact same issue with the X20 system. When can I expect a fix for this issue? My system is 1 day old and have had 4 security updates which bring the system down completely for 2-5 minutes each time. I am thinking of packing it up and shipping it back as well. Really disappointed in my purchase at this time because of how unstable it is.

Options
2020-06-11 20:56:52

@TP-Link_Deco 

I also noticed that the database security update happens when I have the HomeCare Antivirus turned off. Is there a way to disable the database update completely? I don't really want it active and it seems to cause nothing but stability issues

Options
2020-06-12 00:05:06
Options
2020-06-12 12:03:36
Thanks! I really wish they'd just release a firmware update, or release way less security updates, to fix this issue.
Options
2020-06-12 13:43:56

@imikem 

Thanks for the post! I have tried enabling and then disabling the 3 antivirus options. We will see if this fixes the issue. It would be great to have a fix for these things. I do have a Surface Pro as well so that may have been part of the problem as  well. Really unfortunate for the product to have these issues

Options
2020-06-12 13:46:02

Just in case anyone requires it, they also provided me this link.

How to Update the Firmware of Deco
https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1599/

Options
2020-06-12 14:54:24 - last edited 2020-06-14 13:38:35

@ReallyHopeful 

I have had similar issues.  I am on Day 3 now. Been stable since disabling Fast Roaming.  My primary device that would use Fast Roaming is a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 which supposedly supports the three protocols needed.

Options
2020-06-12 21:31:49

@TP-Link_Deco 

Another outage today during my work day - causing me to drop out of virtual meetings. I am going to pack it up and send it back if I don't hear today about an official fix for this. It is pretty ridiculous to have this many outages in a device that is 2 days old.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2606

Replies: 14