Disappointed by P9 diagnostic tools

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-24 08:47:48 - last edited 2021-07-13 01:11:56
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 Build 20191117 Rel. 66543

Hello,

I have just purchased and installed a Deco P9 three-pack.

I am very disappointed by the diagnostic tools available. 

1. First, I was really surprised that there is no web interface, the phone app is fine, but way more clunky to configure a host of settings and generally get your system installed and working well.
  2. The app gives me no information about the signal strength or data rates between the P9 nodes. I want to know what band are the DECO units backhaul links working on, is the wifi and power line backhaul working? And how fast and stable are those connections? How else am I supposed to arrange the nodes within the house?
  3. The app also gives no information on which DECO node, and on what standard a particular device is connecting to, further complicating debug if a certain device is having poor performance

Googling around the place I see app screenshots of other Deco models that seem to give more information, but the P9 app gives you nothing more than "working well", which is rubbish as you can turn a P9 unit off and it takes minutes to update that status.

I had to install a bunch of iperf3 clients/serves and run around the house trying to adjust the positions in a very ad-hoc manner. This significantly improved the performance but most of your customers won't know how to do this and would have been disappointed by the initial performance I was getting. I am still yet to see who stable everything is.

Another annoying issue is that the DHCP controls are very primitive, you cannot define the range of the IP addresses it hands out. It feels like the firmware for this product is still half baked and badly needs further work.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Disappointed by P9 diagnostic tools
2020-05-26 12:00:18

@JaseBob 

Hi, 

The new firmware for the Deco P9 will be released soon. With the new firmware, you can see the features you mentioned above. However, it may have a little differences but we will improve the features of the Deco all the time.

Options
2020-05-26 14:23:17

@TP-Link_Deco Since posting I have been reading other threads and this P9 firmware has been promised for a long time and you've never committed to a delivery date. I think I'll return the product as it is not ready for sale.

Options
2020-05-26 14:49:40

@TP-Link_Deco how soon? is there a release date?

I'm sure there are many here who would be happy to beta test the release also.

Options
2020-05-28 07:49:32

Hope the Deco P7 Firmware will be also updated! The current firmware is very poor as it lacks a lot of features. Performance is also poor.

Options
2020-05-29 22:02:21

Hello TPLink - Any update at all on a release date for updated software/firmware for Deco P9. I beginning to think I made  mistake in buying it! Please give everyone an estimated date even!!

Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 912

Replies: 5

Related Articles