DECO M9 PLUS IS NOT ROAMING

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-24 12:09:44 - last edited 2020-05-27 15:27:12
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.11 Build 20190926 Rel. 55727

Hello

My Deco network is installed with 1 deco acting as a router connected to my internet modem, the 2 other are connected via Wifi. The network is set to 2,4 Ghz for compabtility reasons with my Wifi printer. Fast roaming was intially off (defaulted at installation). The deco speed test gives a good internet connection of 60Mbps

I use the setup for 2 weeks now and I experience the problem that my clients "remember" the last Deco connected, so they don't switch to the nearest Deco with the strongest signal. This works for normal internet use, but when using zoom, or Microsoft teams, sometimes I get a signal for poor internet connection and I'm cut off.

I've read the FAQ "Get to Know Fast Roaming / Seamless Roaming on a Deco System", and some other users issues.

So I tried it with the fast roaming option. This does not seem to bring a solution. My Acer Aspire3 laptop doesn't switch at all, and my Galaxy S8 anly switches only after serveral minutes. So far for the roaming expercience

In the Deco app I can't see on which Deco my devices are connected, so I have to use the Android app Wifi Sweetspots and the Windows Xirius Wifi Inspector to see it.

The only workaround is to swithch of the clients's wifi and to reconnect so it uses the nearest deco.

I'm well aware of erverything that is mentioned in the FAQ, but I don't understand why it doesn't seem to work on any of my devices and why de Deco app doesn' offer more visibility on which deco my device is connected.

When is this getting solved? Because I'm considering of sending the kit back, while it is still new...

I'm expecting a clear answer on this one. Thanks in advance

Koen

PS: in the proces of switching to fast roaming my LG smart TV doesn't offer my Synology NAS as a DLNA server anymore. Switching back to fast roaming off doesn't solve this...

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:DECO M9 PLUS IS NOT ROAMING-Solution
2020-05-27 15:27:06 - last edited 2020-05-27 15:27:57

@TP-Link_Deco 

Meanwhile I did some further troubleshooting...

I checked everything again for the beginning and I solved the roaming problem:

First of all I found this good article about roaming on the TP-link site, it really should be pinned on top of the smarthome/deco community . I found it via google 

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/592/

Solution for the roaming

On the deco app I set the "Fast Roaming switch on"

For my laptops I increased the wifi roaming agressiveness to the setting "Highest". They now switch to the nearest/strongest Deco. Not in a split second but in acceptable timing.

(Free) Tools used for the the troubleshooting

- Advanced IP scanner to discover the IP adresses within a subnet/range. The Deco app isn't good enough for troubleshooting (one should be able to have a reporting capability for a subent, for devices connected to a Deco, .. instead of clicking on each device to see it's Ip adres..

- Xirius Wifi Inspector on the laptops to check if the laptop is really roaming

- Wifi Sweetspots and WiFiAnalyzer Android Apps  to check if my Samsung smartphone is really roaming

Conclusions after 2 weeks of usage

1) The Deco M9 Plus is a good product

2) The commercial promise that its easy to install is only partially true

3) If you have problems you need additional (non TP Link)  tools to find the solution, the App is too simple

4) TPlink support for Deco should go further than only saying "The client could not be compatible" or "The client desides to roam or not". It is true, but to find a solution a customer needs more info/knowledge

5) I shared this info to help others because I saw some unresolved cases about Deco roaming. So please complete the pinned articles on top of the Deco community with this kind of info (The manual and the app aren't sufficient)

Anyhow thx for the help, and hopefully you do something with this feedback...

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:DECO M9 PLUS IS NOT ROAMING
2020-05-26 11:06:21

@KoenCrabbe 

Hi Koen,

Normally, the Deco system will recommend the client device to roam to the closest Deco unit when the device is moving around. However, whether to roam or not depends on the device itself.
Some devices may stay connected to the original Deco unit rather than connect to the closest Deco, possible reasons include the following:
1) The device doesn't support the roaming protocol. Then it won't roam until it disconnects from the Deco unit.
2) The device may regard the signal strength of the current connection is still strong enough and don't want to roam to another Deco unit. It's decided by the roaming threshold which is set by the vendor of the device.

For the features to see which client is connected to which Deco, we will release a new firmware soon that has added this feature, please wait patiently.

Have you tried to reboot the smart TV and the Synology NAS? If not, you can have a try.

Options
2020-05-26 18:37:35

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hi, can you put a date on "will soon release". Is there anywhere a feature roadmap and where can I find it? 

Thx

Koen 

Options
2020-05-27 09:21:28

@KoenCrabbe 

Hi Koen, 

For now, there is no exact ETA about when the firmware will be released. It is very suggested to keep an eye on the official website and wait for the updates. 
With the new firmware, you can click on a client on the Deco app, and then click on the settings icon at the top right corner, then you can see which Deco does the client connected to.

Options
Re:DECO M9 PLUS IS NOT ROAMING-Solution
2020-05-27 15:27:06 - last edited 2020-05-27 15:27:57

@TP-Link_Deco 

Meanwhile I did some further troubleshooting...

I checked everything again for the beginning and I solved the roaming problem:

First of all I found this good article about roaming on the TP-link site, it really should be pinned on top of the smarthome/deco community . I found it via google 

https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/592/

Solution for the roaming

On the deco app I set the "Fast Roaming switch on"

For my laptops I increased the wifi roaming agressiveness to the setting "Highest". They now switch to the nearest/strongest Deco. Not in a split second but in acceptable timing.

(Free) Tools used for the the troubleshooting

- Advanced IP scanner to discover the IP adresses within a subnet/range. The Deco app isn't good enough for troubleshooting (one should be able to have a reporting capability for a subent, for devices connected to a Deco, .. instead of clicking on each device to see it's Ip adres..

- Xirius Wifi Inspector on the laptops to check if the laptop is really roaming

- Wifi Sweetspots and WiFiAnalyzer Android Apps  to check if my Samsung smartphone is really roaming

Conclusions after 2 weeks of usage

1) The Deco M9 Plus is a good product

2) The commercial promise that its easy to install is only partially true

3) If you have problems you need additional (non TP Link)  tools to find the solution, the App is too simple

4) TPlink support for Deco should go further than only saying "The client could not be compatible" or "The client desides to roam or not". It is true, but to find a solution a customer needs more info/knowledge

5) I shared this info to help others because I saw some unresolved cases about Deco roaming. So please complete the pinned articles on top of the Deco community with this kind of info (The manual and the app aren't sufficient)

Anyhow thx for the help, and hopefully you do something with this feedback...

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-05-28 10:02:11 - last edited 2020-05-28 10:02:35

@KoenCrabbe 

Thank you very much for the share and feedback.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2027

Replies: 5

Related Articles