tp-link WiFi Router(s) and Heat Related Issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

tp-link WiFi Router(s) and Heat Related Issue

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
29 Reply
Re:tp-link WiFi Router(s) and Heat Related Issue
2021-01-08 07:02:47

@FLROBBY 

Hi, thanks for bringing this up again. Generally, it is normal for a Wi-Fi router to be warm/slightly hot to the touch, maybe the AX50 is hotter than that of other devices. Check this:

1. Make sure it is not covered and is able to dissipate its heat.

2. Place it on a flat, hard surface where the air can circulate freely around it and heat can escape. Make sure to keep it in a vertical or upright position for better heat dissipation and a cooler device that’s less prone to overheating.

3. If possible, use a fan to cool the router, a regular fan or USB fan is fine.

4. Set the Wi-Fi Transmit Power to low (if the setting is currently set to high), and see if this helps.

However, if you do worry about the high temperature of the AX50, you may contact the reseller where you purchase it to confirm if you can return it, or you can contact the local support team to confirm this, thanks:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/contact-technical-support/#Hotline-Support

Options
2021-01-11 07:42:27

@Kevin_Z 

The temperature is the same , no mater if wifi is low or high. And why lower the wifi power? It will be no difference between this router and other cheap 60 - 70 USD with lower wifi coverage. I have 51 grads under the router where is motherboard and no on the top where is cooling radiator on the chips, at 24 grads room temperature. But if we ignore temperature, the router performs very well ( except USB 3.0 which is in fact an USB 2.0 if we take in consideration the maximum of 34 Mb/s read data transfer rate).

The problem will be in the summer, when room temperature will reach 27-28 grads when i am not at home to start air conditioning.

Options
2021-01-22 23:57:56 - last edited 2021-01-22 23:59:35

@Razvan974 

Mine heats up and either reboots itself or hangs on a red internet light until its rebooted or it cools down enough to back to green (I have an Archer 7). It's sitting on a desk, well ventilated, connected to my CPU via Ethernet. Sometimes I'll have Google Docs open and nothing else when it starts to overheat. This is daily thing some weeks and is extremely annoying. Doesn't help that logging into the GUI to check for firmware updates from TP-Link is next to impossible for me.

Followed all the registration BS instructions and the site rejects every single one of the passwords, including "admin". Not sure what else to do other than to return this and get something else.

Options
2021-03-20 21:01:54

I too have this problem, just purchased it today i placed the router with plenty of free space around it on a hard flat surface but the heat is really worrying it very uncomfortable to touch. I too will return it as a dangerous fire risk.

Options
2021-03-24 07:27:48

@Godzilla 

@Kevin_Z 

guys it is about a year now, we need some sort of firmware update.. I repeat the router is so hot, the print on back label was able to erase with a touch, and it is located vertical mounted on the wall with spacers, in a COLD corridor

I still can't understand why you released this router in 2020 with a chip produced in 2014-2015 year.. and didn't stick to ARM as always. And on top of that are doing nothing to mitigate the issue and just abandon this model

Options
2021-03-25 08:45:34

@AntonK 

There are no updates for the expected time for the new firmware of the AX50, if the situation is not improved after doing the changes or modifications as per our previous suggestions, we will suggest you contact the local tech support team to confirm if they will have more suggestions on this.

Options
2021-07-16 20:54:32

@Godzilla Had the AX50 for about 6 months and kind of "set it and forget it", however my wifi performance has flucuated, so inspected the AX50 and remarkably hot when I picked it up. I powered it down and placed it on a 2 inch stand for ventilation. It is nearly as hot and it radiates enouph to heat the the wooden shelf it is suspended over. Looking at the post TP -Link has no effective advice the fixes the issue, does not seem alarmed with these reports and leads one to believe this is no concern. OK, if TP link seems to think this is fine, they are liable for any damage their product creates, knowing this is a well reported issue and others have express concerns as it being so hot it could start a fire. I will be monitoring this unit several times a day. If it gets too hot to touch, it will be taken out of service and I will ask for a refund. Also, I am a light user...just a few devices connected to wifi...no games, minimal streaming, no running a business from home, but the performance remians incosisisten and frequently slows...I dont see how any processor can function when that hot. Maybe you have resolved, and if so great...let me know what I need to do, or if I can get some type of replacement as I have loved your products in past years. 

Options
2021-09-13 03:18:35

I am so disappointed with this router, I have had it for 3 months and it started loosing its internet connection, orange light. I tried everything thinking it was a conflict on my system, power supplies, modem, etc. After an hour or two of wasted time and dozens of rebooting the power it would start working again for no reason. Several days later it would go orange light again. I have finally tracked it to the router getting too hot. I pull the router out of line and give it a 10 minute soak in the food freezer and it is working again. This recovery should not be necessary. The reported adding a fan should have been added by the manufacturer not consumer.

TP, I have many of your products, this is the first time I have had issues, but your lack of attention or acknowledgment of this issue has made me consider other brands for my needs in the future. 

Options
2021-10-09 17:19:47

@Kevin_Z 

Mine died last week. Less than a year old. Just lost a customer, congrats. 

Options
Related Articles