AX50 - Router does not observe 5 GHz Wi-Fi channel settings after some time

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-24 20:45:02 - last edited 2021-08-09 01:46:04
Model: Archer AX50  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.8

Hi,

There doesn't appear to be a lot of official support from TP-Link in this forum, but I'll try my luck anyway.

I've had my new Archer AX50 running for three weeks now and there is one major issue with the 5 GHz Wi-Fi that's been annoying me.

My AX50 is the EU version, therefore I can use channels 36 to 64 and 100 to 140 in the 5 GHz band. 

I also have a computer with an Intel AX200 Wi-Fi 6 card that supports 160 MHz channel width.

Following the Wi-Fi standard, I have two choices to accommodate a 160 MHz wide channel, either by combining channel numbers 36 trough 64 or 100 through 128. 
I opted for the "block" from 100 to 128, because channels 36 to 64 are already occupied by some neighbor's routers.

Now to my problem.
It has turned out that the 160 MHz wide channel will stay at channel # 100-128 for anywhere from approx. 8 hours to 3 days (but most often around 1 day) before it changes to a 80 MHz wide channel placed a channel # 36-48. (which happen to be the only non-DFS channels)
Once this has happened it will remain like this until I either switch Wi-Fi off and on again or reboot the router. Only by doing this am I able to restore my 160 MHz wide channel placed at channel # 100-128. 

My best guess is that the router might be detecting radar interference and thus changes channels (which is what DFS is about), but the rules allow the channels to be reused once the radar interference is gone, which, however, never happens with my AX50. It seems it will just stay at channel # 36-48 (80 MHz width) forever. (well, actually the maximum time I waited was about two and a half days before I ran out of patience and rebooted the router)

So I'd like to have the following two points addressed by TP-Link support:

1. If the AX50 had to divert from my manually set channel number or channel width for whatever reason, why does it not change back to that channel and channel width when it's possible again? 

2. Why is there no indication whatsoever on the AX50 itself that tells me it switched away from the manually specified Wi-Fi channel? 
I have to use external software (like inSSIDer, Acrylic, etc.) to check whether the AX50 is operating at the channel and channel width I specified or not. 
The very least I would expect is an entry in the System Log. Better would be an entry in the System Log plus some indication via the front panel LED.

My 5 GHz Wi-Fi settings:

After 5 GHz Wi-Fi has been switched on (green marked row in the list is my router):

After router has switched channels on its own:

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:AX50 - Router does not observe 5 GHz Wi-Fi channel settings after some time-Solution
2021-08-09 01:45:57 - last edited 2021-08-09 01:46:04

Hi @draguindin and anyone who are requesting the firmware to choose a DFS channel on the Archer AX50, please describe the issue you're experiencing in detail first, such as why do you need to choose a channel manually, how does it affect the network, how did you determine the issue was caused by the channel, etc, we will then confirm the issue and help. Thank you.

Recommended Solution
Options
22 Reply
Re:AX50 - Router does not observe 5 GHz Wi-Fi channel settings after some time
2020-05-26 12:32:24

@woozle 

As you mentioned in your thread, both band 2 (52-64) and band 3 (100-140) are DFS channels. With DFS channels selected on the router, it will need to do a scan with a local radar all the time. If the selected DFS channel is occupied it will renegotiate to an open and non-DFS channel automatically.

This is not a product issue as all the Wi-Fi devices should obey the local laws and regulations.

Options
2020-05-26 18:14:01 - last edited 2020-05-26 18:29:50

@Solla-topee 

Yes, when the router detects radar signals on a currently used 5 GHz DFS channel then it has to stop using that channel within 10 seconds and switch to another available channel.

Furthermore, after the router has detected radar on a DFS channel, it is not allowed to use that channel for at least 30 minutes (called "non-occupancy period").

However, at the end of that 30-minute period the router may check if that channel is now free from radar signals and thus available for use. If there is no radar detected for a specified period of time (apparently either 1 minute or 10 minutes, depending on the channel and/or region), then the router can switch its Wi-Fi transmission to the original channel again.

That last step appears not to be happening on the Archer AX50. After it switches to channel 36 (using channel width 80 MHz) it seems to just stay like that forever and TP-Link should investigate this issue.

Options
2020-05-27 02:49:48

@woozle 

Your explanation sounds quite reasonable and logical, I will ask our senior engineers to contact you through your email.

Please check your email box and he will follow up your case.

Options
2020-05-28 21:15:59

@Solla-topee 

Thanks! I am looking forward to it.

Options
2020-06-04 08:13:19

@woozle 

Did you get any luck?

@TP-Link 

I know it take time to develop/fix, but any progress report would be nice - even a simple acknowledgement that this isn't working as intended and being worked on.

Thanks.

Options
2020-10-12 06:46:53

@Kennylives 

Hello,

This issue may need to escalate to our engineers and they will email you, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox and respond.    

Thanks for your cooperation and support. Good day.

Options
2020-10-12 19:34:39

@Kevin_Z 

Hello Kevin,

Is there a new beta test firmware available now?

The last test firmware that I received did unfortunately not solve this issue. That was about three months ago.

Options
2020-10-14 07:21:38

@woozle 

Hi, please confirm with our engineer directly, as you have an email communication with him before, thanks.

Options
2021-01-15 19:26:51

@woozle 

Hi. I have the same problem.

Basically, on 5GHz i have some neighbours that use channel 48 and sometimes I see channel 148.

This is why I choose channel 64 which is empty in my area (on this channel i get my best link - 1728Mbps).

Let me know if you find a solution to this problem.

Regards,

Serj

AX50 | TX3000E
Options
2021-01-16 13:40:44

@Serj 

Yes, after the post above yours the engineers provided my AX50 with a new beta test firmware and ever since the router has stuck to the channel that I manually selected.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 6101

Replies: 23

Related Articles