TD-W9970 modem only, bridge mode, Archer C7, Talktalk

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-28 18:34:17
Model: Archer C7  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

Hi all

My ISP is Talktalk on a fibre package and my objective is to improve my home network and wifi. With this in mind, I purchased an Archer C7 router with a view to using it with the Talktalk-supplied modem-router in bridge mode (so it would be modem only). To my great frustration, I just could not find a solution to the problem of putting the Talktalk device in modem-only mode. In the end, I bought the inexpensive TD-W9970 modem-router with the sole intent to use it in modem only mode and connect to the Archer C7. Unfortunately, this has not been straight forwards and I'm asking for some help. 

I think I may have got the sequencing of the necessary steps confused maybe. So, for initial setup of the TD-W9970, it prompts to select ISP and Talktalk VSDL is an available option. As the TD-W9970 is a router-modem, would I need to run the complete setup first by selecting the Talktalk option to enable the device to 'handshake' with the IPS; and then set try to set the device into bridge mode. Or, would I run setup for the TD-W9970 in bridge mode from the very beginning (but how then does the modem 'talk' to the IPS - excuse the pun).       

Despite the above, I somehow connected it all up and am actually typing this over internet provided through the Archer C7 router. On the TD-W9970, the DSL light is on and the internet light is off - implying that I have somehow managed to get it running in bridge mode. But here's the odd thing - despite me using the live connection made through the Archer C7 router to write this, the internet light on the Archer C7 is red which indicates no internet. So, I'm not fully convinced that the problem is so am still posting this asking for help.  

I would greatly appreciate some step-by-step guidance on how to set up the TD-W9970 in modem-only mode, to use with an Archer C7 router, over a talktalk fibre IPS.

It also doesn’t help that the TD-W9970 is model V3 and there’s only a V2 user guide available on the support page.

Paul 

Options
3 Reply
Re:TD-W9970 modem only, bridge mode, Archer C7, Talktalk
2020-05-29 03:21:21

@PTK2106 

Please refer to the below FAQ to set up the TD-W9970 into a pure bridge modem (Network-WAN):

How can I set up my TP-Link modem router as a pure modem?

And here is the instruction to set up the WAN connection on Archer C7:

How do I install TP-Link Archer router to work with a DSL Modem (PPPoE-new logo)?

Options
2020-05-29 10:12:54

Hi @Solla-topee 

Please can you clarify a few things before I make another attempt at this:

- Do I have to run through the setup of the W9970 (selecting Talktalk as the ISP in the Quick Setup), and then run the setup on the Archer C7, all before going back into the W9970 settings to then make the change to bridge mode (as per your link to the instructions)? I ask this because it's the exact sequence of events which is somewhat confusing. It's not clear if I need to set up each device initially through their quick setup sequences first, which would initially result in double NAT; but then once this this done, only then but the modem-router in bridge mode because the connection to the ISP has at that point been established. 

- Would I expect the Internet light on the W9970 modem-router to turn off once it is put in bridge mode?

- Any thoughts on the situation I describe with the Archer internet light being red yet I'm still able to access the internet?

- I am on a Talktalk fibre package. It has been really quite difficult to find the correct ISP settings for use with a third party modem. I would greatly appreciate if you could advise on the appropriate settings for fibre Talktalk ISP setting. I realise you are not Talktalk but I have wasted much time on this and I'm sure that TP-Link has useful information on this.

I look forward to your response

Many thanks

Paul

Options
2020-06-03 02:03:11

@PTK2106 

1. Yes, you may go through the setup process on the TD-W9970 first to change it into the bridge mode and then go through the setup process on the Archer C7 to configure with PPPOE on its WAN.

2. When you change the TD-W9970 into the bridge mode, the internet LED will be off.

3. If the internet LED on the Archer C7 is off, which means it cannot connect to your PPPOE server through the bridge TD-W9970. You may have a simple test again by switching the TD-W9970 into modem router mode and ensure you can connect to the Talktalk server. If not, which means there might be wrong parameters given by Talktalk or we didn't configure it correctly.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 11374

Replies: 3

Related Articles