RE305 "access point mode" the same as "ethernet backhaul"?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-05-30 11:18:20 - last edited 2023-12-14 01:28:38
Model: RE305  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version:
Hi,

I'm looking for the simplest and cheapest wired mesh network (one router with one satellite).

My vision is a C7 router with a wired connection to an RE305 in access point mode. According to the RE305 product page, I could plug "the Ethernet cable into its Ethernet port to easily turn your wired internet connection into a dual band wireless access point."

Isn't that essentially an ethernet backhaul? Since I would be freeing up the second wireless band that would normally be used for wireless backhaul (true wireless extension). tp-link seems pretty adament in suggesting that no Onemesh products support ethernet backhaul (see Q5: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2690/ ). I also chatted with support and they kind of gave me a non-answer about access points and wouldn't address if they were the same thing or had essentially the same function. Or am I misunderstanding the concept of ethernet backhaul?

Thanks in advance
ttyng
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:RE305 "access point mode" the same as "ethernet backhaul"?-Solution
2020-06-02 08:27:50 - last edited 2023-12-14 01:28:38

@ttyng 

Nope, RE305 "access point mode" is not the same as "ethernet backhaul" and RE305 doesn't support the ethernet backhaul, which is stressed in the FAQ you pointed to.

Update:

Update:

Hi, It is planned to support EasyMesh over Ethernet Backhaul under Range Extender mode.

It will start with RE315_V1 and gradually be added to other EasyMesh-supported extenders.

RE315 Supports EasyMesh Over Ethernet Backhaul

Note:

1. An extender needs to support EasyMesh (over Wi-Fi) first, then supports EasyMesh over Ethernet Backhaul.

2. Ethernet Backhaul only works when both your main router and satellite extender support EasyMesh over Ethernet Backhaul.

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:RE305 "access point mode" the same as "ethernet backhaul"?-Solution
2020-06-02 08:27:50 - last edited 2023-12-14 01:28:38

@ttyng 

Nope, RE305 "access point mode" is not the same as "ethernet backhaul" and RE305 doesn't support the ethernet backhaul, which is stressed in the FAQ you pointed to.

Update:

Update:

Hi, It is planned to support EasyMesh over Ethernet Backhaul under Range Extender mode.

It will start with RE315_V1 and gradually be added to other EasyMesh-supported extenders.

RE315 Supports EasyMesh Over Ethernet Backhaul

Note:

1. An extender needs to support EasyMesh (over Wi-Fi) first, then supports EasyMesh over Ethernet Backhaul.

2. Ethernet Backhaul only works when both your main router and satellite extender support EasyMesh over Ethernet Backhaul.

Best regards.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1143

Replies: 1