Range extender loosing connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-05 05:48:55 - last edited 2020-06-05 10:24:54
Model: RE450  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I am trying to configure a WiFi network where I have my router connected via modem with DHCP enabled. I have connected 1st range extender via WPS with the same host SSID ( DHCP DISABLED). The device is working fine. When I am trying to configure another extender to the network via WPS, the extender connects for few hours and after few hours loose its connection.

i have tried to setup the second extender through the first range extender also but unfortunately it gets a self assigned up series without the DHCP enabled also. I am unable to understand why it's happening.

Both the extenders as well as the router are running on the latest firmwares.

Any help would be appreciated.

Options
5 Reply
Re:Range extender loosing connection
2020-06-10 03:37:37

@Pranav236 

Are both the two range extenders the same model RE450? 

We can use multiple extenders together to extend the wifi range, while to ensure the performance, it is not suggested to use them in a daisy chain, in this way, the last extenders will have the lower signal strength and speed. Instead, it is suggested to connect the extenders to the main router directly to extend the wifi range. 

Options
2020-06-10 07:41:12

@Solla-topee 

i have one extender as RE650 (first extender) which is directly connected to the router through WPS and the other one RE450 (second extender) is also connected to the router through WPS mode with DHCP off. The network works for a bit and then the second extender (RE450) gets a self assigned ip address while the first extender (RE650) is still connected to the network. 

i have tried restoring the device to factory defaults and configured it again but unfortunately same problem persists. Even tried with a different range extender, the issue is still the same.

Have restored my router also to factory defaults and configured it again but again no luck.

Options
2020-06-10 08:27:28

@Pranav236 

Hello, thanks for the detailed info.

Is the firmware of the RE650 already the latest? If not, update it and try to reconfigure it via the web UI: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1411/

BTW, confirm the wireless password of your router is correct.

Meanwhile, try to disable the DHCP server (Settings-Network-DHCP Server Settings) on the RE650 when you set it up via the web UI.

Options
2020-06-10 08:40:27

@Solla-topee 

On both the extenders DHCP IS OFF and both the devices have latest firmware. 

I have tried to configure the devices numerous times through web, then also the same issue. 

I am not able to understand which device has the issue. One extender is still connected on the network while the other device with the same settings as the former one gets a self assigned ip. 

it's not a router issue as one of the extender is still connected to the network and neither the extender issue as I have tried it with the different range extender as well.

i think I will have to assign a static ip on the device which is loosing connection while keeping the dhcp on the first one.

Options
2021-02-10 21:41:23

@Pranav236 

I've been getting the runaround by tp-link they're not going to help you one bit. I was told on the phone and confidentiality that they know there's an ongoing issue and it was going to be replaced since then I've been told that this phone conversation never happened and the email that I got that says please take a picture and if possible the proof of purchase which they wouldn't have been worded that way if they knew I didn't have it which I've been saying from the beginning.

Funny how this is still continuing on. And I told there is no issue with the Wi-Fi extender but yet there's another forum post with dozens upon dozens of people saying the same thing

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1198

Replies: 5

Related Articles