Weird issue with Apple TV

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-09 21:10:53
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

Weirdest issue ever with my Apple TV 4 and Deco X60. Works fine all day long but at 10:50pm it will stop streaming. Connection is still there, it does a Speedtest fine, but streaming it won't. Doesn't matter if it's Netflix, Amazon, Disney, it won't stream a thing and tells me there's no connection. Connection is fine on all other devices such as iPhone, iPad, MacBook etc.  Any idea what's going on? 

Options
11 Reply
Re:Weird issue with Apple TV
2020-06-18 20:33:59

@MLVC 

Hi!

Sorry, I have no answer to your problem, but I've been experiencing much the same thing and would love a solution. Misery loves company, and perhaps bumping this thread will draw in someone who can help?

This started for me when I replaced my Apple Airport Extreme router with a Deco X20 system about two weeks ago (early June). Everything seemed to be working fine, but I started having problems with some of my Apple TV HD (ATV-HD) streaming service apps. Streaming goes along fine for a while, then it just stops. When I back up and re-start the stream, it tries to start up for a few seconds, then I get some variation of a message (depending on the streaming platform) telling me, "Sorry, we're having trouble playing this right now, but we're working on fixing it. Try again later, or check your internet connection." This happens for all three of the PAID (somehow this detail seems noteworthy) streaming services I use (Netflix, Hulu and DisneyPlus), but does not appear to affect my FREE YouTube streaming, which continues to work even when the others won't. When one goes down, all three are affected. My short-term fix is to re-start the ATV-HD, but this usually results in losing my place in whatever program I was streaming, and having to start at the beginning and try to fast-forward to wherever I left off. Then things will go along again fine for while (about 60-90 minutes, or two or three 30-40 minute streaming episodes) until streaming hangs up again. My issue doesn't happen at the same time every day, as described by the OP, but at roughly the same 60-90 minute interval after a re-start of the ATV-HD.

I thought at first it was something to do with the Deco's Antivirus protection, so I shut that completely off with the Deco mobile app and rebooted everything, but that seems to have made no difference.

I had NONE of these streaming problems until I installed the X20, so it has to be something to do with that system. For the record, the only reason (besides age) that I replaced my Apple Airport Extreme was that it was not working nicely with my wife's work laptop, which she absolutley needed in order to work from home (which she is now permanentlly doing). On the plus-side, the X20 has completely SOLVED that issue -- she hasn't had a single dropped work call or video conference yet, even when we've been having streaming problems with the ATV-HD. So for that reason alone, the X20 is staying...I just need it to work for everything.

I will also say, I have an older Apple TV (second generation) in our basement, which I've connected wirelessly to the X20. It worked when I set it up with the Deco originally, but I frankly haven't had the time to check whether it's having the same issues as our newer ATV-HD. That older ATV rarely gets used, but I should look into that anyway for comparison.

Besides this ONE THING, my Deco X20 has been working REALLY WELL for all our other connected devices (laptops, phones, Sonos, wife's work devices) and I like the functionality provided by the Deco mobile app. There has to be a solution for this issue.

Here's hoping someone can help!

Options
2020-06-19 10:56:38

@PerGar67 I "solved" it by plugging the Apple TV in the Deco X60 unit. Has been flawless since. I'm using quotation marks because I don't consider that a proper solution, and I do wonder what's causing it. It can't really be the intention to buy extra units just to get your Apple TVs working, but for now it will have to do. We have two Apple TVs so I moved the Deco units around so they're both hardwired. Not a very elegant solution but as long as it works right?

Options
2020-06-19 15:59:01

@MLVC Fortunately for me, hard-wiring both ATVs to the Decos with ethernet cables is indeed an option, but I was hoping to avoid that, largely because I wasn't sure going to that effort would make any difference...I've used up all the swear words I know already. It's good to hear from you that the hard-wiring option works, at least. That will be the next step for me, I guess. Agreed, it's not the most elegant solution, but a solution it is. Thanks for sharing.

Hey, any forum moderators from TP-Link out there seeing this? This is obviously not how this is supposed to work. Given the sheer number of Apple TV's surely in use with other Deco systems out there, plus the relatively small number of people reporting this problem, it would seem there's GOT to be a solution to this, and it's probably nothing more than some deep-dive network setting or toggle that needs adjusted. I'm not a network techie, but when the product packaging advertises "easy set-up with the Deco app," I shouldn't have to be. 

Thanks!

Options
2020-06-19 16:24:14

@PerGar67 It just seems not really anybody from TP-Link is interested in this forum :(

PerGar67 wrote

@MLVC Fortunately for me, hard-wiring both ATVs to the Decos with ethernet cables is indeed an option, but I was hoping to avoid that, largely because I wasn't sure going to that effort would make any difference...I've used up all the swear words I know already. It's good to hear from you that the hard-wiring option works, at least. That will be the next step for me, I guess. Agreed, it's not the most elegant solution, but a solution it is. Thanks for sharing.

Hey, any forum moderators from TP-Link out there seeing this? This is obviously not how this is supposed to work. Given the sheer number of Apple TV's surely in use with other Deco systems out there, plus the relatively small number of people reporting this problem, it would seem there's GOT to be a solution to this, and it's probably nothing more than some deep-dive network setting or toggle that needs adjusted. I'm not a network techie, but when the product packaging advertises "easy set-up with the Deco app," I shouldn't have to be. 

Thanks!

Options
2020-06-22 20:59:00

MLVC wrote

Hi,

Weirdest issue ever with my Apple TV 4 and Deco X60. Works fine all day long but at 10:50pm it will stop streaming. Connection is still there, it does a Speedtest fine, but streaming it won't. Doesn't matter if it's Netflix, Amazon, Disney, it won't stream a thing and tells me there's no connection. Connection is fine on all other devices such as iPhone, iPad, MacBook etc.  Any idea what's going on? 

@MLVC i have the exact same issue with Deco X60 and apple tv. Everything else works except streaming apps on apple tv. Tp link are you listening!!!!!

Options
2020-06-24 20:29:50

@MLVC 

Hi! Sorry to bring this up again, but I'm hoping your experience with this can shed some light on my situation...

So you solved your Apple TV streaming issue by connecting it directly to the Deco network with an ethernet cable. Did you have any problems setting that up? I've plugged the ethernet into my ATV, and the ATV says it's connected to the ethernet, but it can't access the internet. Whah? Were you able to set up your network connection automatically, or did you have to do it manually? Will I have to get an advanced certification in network administration to make this happen? This is really annoying.

Thanks!

Options
2020-07-01 11:00:18 - last edited 2020-07-01 11:01:04

No, not issues whatsoever when it's plugged in. Both Apple TVs hasn't faltered once when connected through ethernet. I didn't have to do anything regarding settings, just plugged in the ethernet cable and the Apple TV switched the connection from wifi to ethernet automatically.

Options
2020-07-02 13:10:04

@MLVC Wow, that would be nice.

So I did get my main Apple TV ethernet hard-wired, but now my problem is that streaming of all apps works for a while, then I start having connection problems again as before. I've found that DisneyPlus ONLY works without interruption when the Apple TV is ethernet hard-wired, but I eventually get connection failures with Netflix and Hulu. And conversely, Netflix and Hulu work flawlessly ONLY when I have my Apple TV connected wirelessly to my network, but DisneyPlus eventually loses connection. So the net result is that I cannot stream everything with one connection or the other -- I have to change connection methods depending on the app I want to stream. Oh, and when I do that, I almost always get one of my Decos going offline during the process, so I end up having to re-boot my entire Deco network. And I've spent a fair amount of time drilling down and modifying network settings (IP, DNS, etc.) with both the Apple TV and Deco system, but that seems to generate more problems than solutions. 

This is definitley NOT how this stuff is supposed to work.

But meanwhile, wireless connections for ALL other devices connected to my network have been rock-solid, which has been great for my wife's work purposes. So the only issue I have is with the Apple TV staying reliably connected to the network via one method or the other depending on which app I'm using to stream video -- but it's a BIG issue.

Well, it's good to know that you've solved your problem...it gives me hope that there HAS to be a final solution to this.

Options
2020-09-04 03:33:50

@PerGar67  @S_J 

Hello all, sorry to respond late.

Make sure you are tagging a TP-Link Admin next time if you want a timely response. Unless we are tagged we do not see that new responses have been added. We do not subscribe to every thread so rely on Tagging to ensure responses.

Firstly, it's glad to hear that @MLVC solved his issue by hard-wired his Apple TV to his X60, while for @PerGar67 it's still not an option. Could you please help confirm some details and we will try our best to figure it out?

1. What is the detailed network layout, how are the 3 Deco X60/X20 connected to each other, and is the main X60/X20 working as a router or AP?

2. Who is your ISP and what is the model number of your modem they provided?

3. If the Apple TV is connected to the Deco Wi-Fi, 2.4GHz, or 5GHz? What if you connect one to the main X60 Wi-Fi directly and confirm again if there is still an issue?
4. What if you change the X60 to AP mode?

Thanks.

Options
2020-12-08 09:24:54

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hello,

now I have the same problems with my P9 after update to the lasted firmware for 2 days. :-(

All other devices works fine. And all my 3 Apple TV HD have interruptions after 15-30 minutes for ~1-2 minutes. Apple TV+ and Disney+
Speedtest 110-155Mbit Upload ~25Mbit 

br Gerhard 

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 5015

Replies: 11

Related Articles