Slow & Unstable Archer AX50

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Slow & Unstable Archer AX50

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
44 Reply
Re:Slow & Unstable Archer AX50
2020-07-27 03:58:04

I have similar issues with my newly bought AX-3000. I have done speed tests with my old TP-link router bought more than 5 years ago prior to unpacking my new AX-3000, hoping to see an improvement.

With the new AX-3000 and 5G wireless, i do see an improvement in download speed but the upload speed (especially when connect to foreign servers - e.g. US) have gone down significantly.

Reading through the posts on this forum and internet has found no solution at all... except seeing the inability of TP-link to resolve a known issue for at least 7 months and no more thinking like "it's only the minors whom are affected making the noises" whenever the IT-ware shop sales say "it's okay".

I only wish I stuck to my original plan buying ASUS router but unfortunately it was OOS at my local store. I guess now we know the reason.

I am hoping to have a better gaming speed when i change my ISP to a 1G broadband in near future, now with this router, it seems I am a step further from realizing that... 

Suggestion of what can be done to TRULY solve the issue is welcomed.

Thanks and sorry for the semi-rant.

Options
2020-07-29 13:53:32

I was getting poor very poor upload and download speeds with QOS set to standard (default), but had my laptop configured for "high priority" in the client menu. I should have been getting 250Mbps/350Mbps upload/download on my fiber connection, but was getting 30/5 consistently. I was able to test this consistently when switching between a wired connection from my laptop to my provider's modem in routing mode and the AX50 in router mode. 5Ghz wireless connection to both routers showed similar results. 

After updating the firmware to 1.0.8 Build 20200426, several reboots, checking/switching cables (cabling was all fine), I turned off priority for my laptop, still with standard QOS set, speed improved dramatically to 200/80-100, which is close enough to normal on the downloads, but still way below on upload speed.  This was with IGMP proxy & snooping turned off (under the IPTV menu). Wireless Multicast Forwarding was on. 

I retested with IGMP proxy & snooping (v3) turned on (everything else is the same) and speeds differences were negligible when compared with those settings off. I read some other posts suggesting that IGMP can hurt performance, but I didn't necessarily experience that. 

On top of IGMP turned on, I then tested with all Antivirus enabled (malicious content filter, IPS & Infected Device Quarantine) via the Tether app. I also applied some parental controls applied to specific devices and also turned priority back on for my laptop. No major download/upload differences noticed.

Honestly it this has been maddening - I've got it to a point that download speeds are near what they are when compared to my provider's modem, but uploads are 60-70% less and I can't explain it. This is not ideal for doing screen-shares and video conferencing which many of us are doing now. I gotta think this should be addressed via a firmware upgrade, but who knows. 

If anyone has any ideas on why uploads are so far off, please let me know.

I really like the Tether app - its actually pretty good and I do want the other security features it offers, it just seems like there are some other bugs in the machine that are contributing to performance issues. There is no good reason why a 3 year-old Zyxel C3000Z (provider router) would be out-performing a brand new wifi 6 AX50 device with latest gen Intel dual-core processor. Something is out of whack...

Options
2020-07-31 01:58:30

@Wolly  @P.M.  @raxeon  @b0x  @IzK 

Hello all, sorry to respond late.

If you all encounter the slow upload speed when connected to the AX50/AX3000, please help provide below details and we will escalate the case to the engineers to investigate, thanks:

1. Who is your ISP and what is the model number of your modem? What kind of connection type on the AX50/AX3000, Dynamic or PPPoE?

2. What is the download/upload speed you can get when you connect a computer directly to the ISP modem?

3. Without any other devices connected, connect one computer to the AX50/AX3000 directly and go to speedtest to run the test for 3 times and show us the screenshots of the test results. BTW, simplify your network layout if there are other routers or RE in your network, just leave the modem and the AX50/AX3000 on, disconnect other devices and run the speedtest.

And please tell me the wired link speed at that time, how to get that? You can refer to the below link.
https://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-2265.html

4. Do you enable any QoS setting on the AX50/AX3000? Kindly show me the QoS setting page on your router. For the AX50, please launch the Tether app and go to Homecare page-QoS, check and ensure it is on the Standard Mode, then get back to the Clients' page, check all the clients connected to the router and ensure the High Priority is disabled.

5. You can refer to the below instruction to narrow down the issue as well.
https://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-2170.html

Good day.

Options
2020-08-12 19:37:46
Hi Kevin_Z 1. NET Claro Brazil - Model 1.0 - Dynamic (ISP modem is in Bridge mode); 2. 250Mbps Downstream / 22Mbps Upstream; 3. Without QoS, I get corrected speeds; 4. That's the point. If I enable QoS, choose any option and bond router with TP-Link's account, I get problems.
Options
2020-10-28 15:13:57
I'm looking at buying a new router and this particular model seems like a good proposition, at least on paper so I just want to find out if your issues with this router was resolved in the end?
Options
2020-10-30 01:53:31
Issues were never resolved. IMO, stay away... the Acer products seem more stable and better performing. Good luck!
Options
2020-10-30 10:07:59

@IzK 

Hello, have you tried my previous suggestions? If all the suggestions don't help, please provide some specific issue description and detailed information, then we can ask our engineers to help you out.

Have a nice day.

Options
2020-11-04 13:54:17

@Kevin_Z 

1. Who is your ISP and what is the model number of your modem? What kind of connection type on the AX50/AX3000, Dynamic or PPPoE?

Reply>> ISP: SingTel, Model No.: Archer AX50(US), Connection Type: Dynamic IP 

2. What is the download/upload speed you can get when you connect a computer directly to the ISP modem?

Reply>>

Wired connection (Cat 6 cable)

Wireless Connection

3. Without any other devices connected, connect one computer to the AX50/AX3000 directly and go to speedtest to run the test for 3 times and show us the screenshots of the test results. BTW, simplify your network layout if there are other routers or RE in your network, just leave the modem and the AX50/AX3000 on, disconnect other devices and run the speedtest.

And please tell me the wired link speed at that time, how to get that? You can refer to the below link.
https://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-2265.html

Reply>> Refer to the results above.

4. Do you enable any QoS setting on the AX50/AX3000? Kindly show me the QoS setting page on your router. For the AX50, please launch the Tether app and go to Homecare page-QoS, check and ensure it is on the Standard Mode, then get back to the Clients' page, check all the clients connected to the router and ensure the High Priority is disabled.

Reply>>

So as you can see, i have done all that has been requested... twice (the first time in April... refer to my earlier posts) and this matter is still unresolved.

Awaiting your solution.

Options
2020-11-04 13:55:35

@b0x 

Hi @b0x, after your post, did they ever get back to you with a solution?

Options
2020-11-05 01:09:51

@IzK 

Hello, thank you very much for the detailed info.

As we tried to explain to you earlier that the QoS setting may affect the speed or bandwidth in the network, we hope you could try to disable it and confirm, you need to launch the Tether app and go to Homecare page-QoS, check and ensure it is on the Standard Mode, then get back to the Clients' page, check all the clients connected to the router and ensure the High Priority is disabled.

Thank you.

Options
Related Articles