Slow & Unstable Archer AX50

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Slow & Unstable Archer AX50

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
44 Reply
Re:Slow & Unstable Archer AX50
2021-05-15 15:09:38 - last edited 2021-05-15 15:13:12

Hello,

I have more or less the same problem with this router. 5 GHz is definitively not working properly.
Just after starting the router in AP mode (Access Point), everything works perfectly: speed and range as expected with 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi.
But after 1 or 2 days the speed of 5 GHz becomes unstable, then connection no longer allows access to the internet and finally it is not even possible to connect to it at all. At the same time, the 2.4 GHz still works well.

Restarting the router solves the problem for 1 or 2 days: impossible to use this router without restarting it every day so ...

I tried to remove all the advanced options (OFDMA, smart connection, Airtime Fairness, automatic channel and width selection, multi-user MiMo) to keep only the most basic AP (with DHCP managed by my box). I even reduced the AP to WiFi 5 usage only (802.11 n / ac instead of ax) and selected channel 44 to avoid DFS channels and their constraints.
Nothing helps, the 5 GHz systematically breaks down in 1 or 2 days.

Does somebody found an idea to correct the problem and avoid a return?

Model: Archer AX50 v1.0 (WiFi 6 - AX 3000 Mbps Bi-bande Gigabit) Firmware Version: 1.0.9 Build 20200708 rel.55037(4555)
Options
2021-05-18 02:03:53

@Pizzahut 

Are you talking about the wireless connection or the internet connection? Please confirm the internet LED status on the AX50 when the internet disconnects, if it changes to orange/red when the internet drops, that means it disconnects from the modem/internet. Please ensure you have s stable connection from your ISP first, then ensure the connection between the modem and the router is good, you may try with a different cat5e or cat6 cable between them.

If the internet LED is always green, but the wireless network is not stable, then check if it is the 2.4G or the 5G network not stable, then try to run a Wi-Fi analyzer to review the channels in the network, choose a clear channel, and change the channel width to 20MHz if it is the 2.4G not stable, and change it to 40MHz if it is the 5G, reboot the router and confirm. BTW, who is your ISP?

Options
2021-05-18 02:22:31

@THA 

Have you tried to reset the router to factory defaults? Please reset it by pressing and holding the RESET button on the back panel until all the LEDs flash off then on, then reconfigure it from scratch, DON'T change or modify any advanced settings on it, just set up the internet access and change the wireless network name and password to your own, then connect to the devices to the 5G network to confirm if the issue persists. 

When manually choose a wireless channel, please install a Wi-Fi analyzer to review the channels, then choose a clear channel, change the channel width to 40MHz for the 5G network.

Options
2021-05-18 13:41:28

@IzK 

I resolved the issue by replacing my TP Link AX 50 with Asus RT-AX58U and no more connection drop issues.

There is something wrong with AX50 hardware and software. After using it for a while, it will start dropping connection , my guess is it is over-heating a lot.

anyways that will be my first and last experience using TP Link Router. I will not buy TP Link router anymore.

Options
2021-05-18 14:09:48

Pizzahut wrote

@IzK 

I resolved the issue by replacing my TP Link AX 50 with Asus RT-AX58U and no more connection drop issues.

There is something wrong with AX50 hardware and software. After using it for a while, it will start dropping connection , my guess is it is over-heating a lot.

anyways that will be my first and last experience using TP Link Router. I will not buy TP Link router anymore.

@Pizzahut 

laugh You are right! This is the best solution! yes

Yes... the design doesn't seem to allow the heat to dissipate quickly enough.

Can't agree with your last 2 statements more! 

Options
2021-07-06 08:28:22

@Kevin_Z 

Kevin_Z wrote

@THA 

Have you tried to reset the router to factory defaults? Please reset it by pressing and holding the RESET button on the back panel until all the LEDs flash off then on, then reconfigure it from scratch, DON'T change or modify any advanced settings on it, just set up the internet access and change the wireless network name and password to your own, then connect to the devices to the 5G network to confirm if the issue persists. 

When manually choose a wireless channel, please install a Wi-Fi analyzer to review the channels, then choose a clear channel, change the channel width to 40MHz for the 5G network.

Hi Kenvin,

Thanks for your reply

Especially for you, I reset again the router to factory defaults.

Then just set up the internet access for AP:

• change the wireless network name and password,
  • but also change the wireless network security to WPA2 + AES, because security is not an option.
  • To finish, I changed the channel width to 40MHz for the 5G network, following your recommendation.

--> after 3 days, I can confirm that the issue persists. :-(

5G connection no longer allows access to the internet (iPHONE, XIAOMI smartphone, Surface Laptop, HP Laptop...) and I need to restart my AX50. At the same time, the 2.4 GHz still works as a charm.

Waiting for your support again... sorry

Best regards,

THA

Model: Archer AX50 v1.0 (WiFi 6 - AX 3000 Mbps Bi-bande Gigabit) Firmware Version: 1.0.9 Build 20200708 rel.55037(4555)
Options
2021-08-15 03:13:04

I'm having the EXACT same issue as a few of the people in the thread, I have gig internet 1000+mbps up and down. (directly plugging the WAN into my laptop tests well over 900mbps down/up constantly) My highest recorded 5ghz speed with this router is 400 mbps, otherwise it's around 200-250mbps normal. (my old router I bought for $50 with a custom firmware handles 600mbps on 5ghz). I've wasted over 3 hours trying to troubleshoot this thing and yes I've tried all the above solutions and many more. I will be returning my ax50 and moving on in a few days if there's no real solution/response.

Options
2021-08-15 12:11:12

HI All,

I also have AX50 router that facing same problem as mentioned by previous few reply. Even try reset whole router and just done few basic setup to test the stability and in fact, the result will come back with the same problem after 1-2 days. Is there any other solution for this? I'm still suspecting it should be the overheating issue that causing this to be happen. or probably the firmware itself that causing the issue.

thanks in advance.

IzK wrote

Bought & installed the Archer AX50-AX3000 in April (1+ month back). Experience has been very poor.

Internet throughput is worse than my 2 yrs old AC router from SingTel. Using the same machine at the same location, speeds achieved are less than half of that by the AC router. Router is already running the latest firmware. Unit also runs hot. 

Did not get better throughput.

Did not get better range.

Did not get better usage experience.

All the reasons for the purchase is not met. Can i get a refund?

Options
2021-08-15 12:13:22

@Kevin_Z 

HI Kevin,

I also have AX50 router that facing same problem as mentioned by previous few reply. Even try reset whole router and just done few basic setup to test the stability and in fact, the result will come back with the same problem after 1-2 days. Is there any other solution for this? I'm still suspecting it should be the overheating issue that causing this to be happen. or probably the firmware itself that causing the issue.

thanks in advance.

Options
2021-08-16 07:27:51

@Strains  @Ray87 

Can you please confirm the QoS settings on the AX50 router? Please refer to the below guide to disable it, then monitor the 5G speed again:

[Solution] Slow speed on Archer AX50

When the speed drops on the AX50, how about the link speed on the computer? Is it the same as that when the actual speedtest is normal? You can refer to the following guide to check the link speed on a computer:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/

How about the 5G wireless settings on the AX50? Which wireless channel is it on? You can try to install and run an app like Wi-Fi Analyzer on your phone or laptop and test, then set a channel with less congestion according to the test results on the AX50.

Options
Related Articles