M9 Plus Functionality After Adding Other Deco Models

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-14 17:38:02
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.2.11

I will appreciate help on this. I just installed 3 M9 Plus Decos (V2 with fw 1.2.11) and they seem to be fine so far. But my house is large and I am considering adding more Decos, most likely 3 M5s, to expand the mesh. My question is: will the mesh retain the M9 specific functionality; such as Zigbee, bluetooth support, etc; if I add units other than M9?

Further to it, I am aware from the previous posts of the V2 fw issue and that the available update is still beta. Does this issue affect the decision of what units to add?

Thank you in advance.

Options
7 Reply
Re:M9 Plus Functionality After Adding Other Deco Models
2020-06-17 10:25:21

@AMH 

Other Deco models do not support the Zigbee, Bluetooth feature. So if you need these features, it's suggested to buy the Deco M9 Plus.

The new firmware for the Deco M9 Plus V2 will be released soon, and it won't affect the decision of what units to add, our Deco models are compatible with each other.

Options
2020-06-17 13:00:45 - last edited 2020-06-17 13:03:44

@TP-Link_Deco 

Thank you for the reply. Just to be clear, if I buy M5s to exapnd my M9+ mesh, do I lose M9 functionality at the mesh level or at the node level? In other words, will the M9 nodes stop supporting Zigbee if I add M5 or M3w to the mesh? BTW, the current setup configuration is router-slaves.

Options
2020-06-19 10:00:42

@AMH 

For the Zigbee and Bluetooth features, when Deco M9 Plus works with the M5, the Deco M9 Plus still has these features, for example, the Zigbee device need to near to the Deco M9 plus to connect the Zigbee signal, Deco M5 does not provide Zigbee signal.
However, for some other features, such as switch on/off the 2.4G/5G Wi-Fi, because the current firmware of the Deco M3W does not support this feature, so when Deco M9 Plus works with M3W, this feature will disappear on the Deco app.

Options
2020-07-19 15:32:43 - last edited 2020-07-19 15:35:06

@TP-Link_Deco 

Thank you for replying. The issue here is that it is not clear what M9 features will be lost when mixing it with other Deco models. You mentioned some but is this all? TP needs to clarify this. I suggest that for every deco model you publish a matrix of model (other decos) and features. This way the customers will know for sure what, if any, features will be lost if they include other deco models in their mesh. This is not difficult to do and will spare TP and its customers a lot of headeache.

Best Regards.

Options
2020-07-21 11:56:39

@AMH 

Hello, sorry for any misunderstanding caused by the different specs.

Basically, when building a Deco network with different models, some features will disappear if one of the Deco units doesn’t support them. For example, if Deco M5 supports Fast Roaming while Deco M3W does not, then the Fast Roaming feature will disappear if you add the M3W unit into the M5 network. But don’t worry, these features will be added in future firmware updates.

Good days.

Options
2020-09-29 17:06:49
Hi AMH, Have you received any feedback about the “downgrade” is at mesh or node level?
Options
2020-10-11 15:03:09

@Alvin_Tan 

Hi Alvin, I did not receive any feedback other than what you see in the thread. I ended up buying more M9+ to avoid loss of features in a mixed mesh and to avoid updating different models in one mesh. I highly recommend this strategy.
Regards,

AMH...

Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 850

Replies: 7

Related Articles