ARP binding not working -> WOL from internet not working on Archer C6

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

ARP binding not working -> WOL from internet not working on Archer C6

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
26 Reply
Re:ARP binding not working -> WOL from internet not working on Archer C6
2020-11-16 19:21:14

So, a new firmware update came out about a week ago, after nearly one year, and the problem remains. ARP binding list is, apparently, not read after a reboot. The settings remain there, but are not effective until I turn them off and on again.

Come on, Tp-Link! It doesn't seem like a very complicated problem to solve. It's like there's a line missing in the boot instructions! 

Options
2020-11-17 06:21:16 - last edited 2020-11-17 06:21:43

@Geeohgo The worst bit is that either this is a case isolated to specific units for some odd reason, or... and this is scary, TP still doesn't understand the issue or cannot reproduce it (I've made a support request and got... nothing but the usual, with the end result being that TP-Link can't see the issue on their end).

Options
2020-11-19 10:31:41

@Shaamaan  @Geeohgo 

Hello, apologies we didn't respond to this issue you reported. 

We would like to escalate your case to our engineers, and they will help follow it up, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox and respond.    

Thanks for your cooperation and support. Good day.

Options
Re:ARP binding not working -> WOL from internet not working on Archer C6-Solution
2020-11-25 13:21:14 - last edited 2020-11-25 22:12:58

Great news, everyone!

As you can see from the message above, I was contacted by a very nice and helpful engineer from TP-Link and, after exchanging a few messages and sending them a backup file from my Archer C6v2, they were finally able to pinpoint the problem.

There seems to be an issue with the IPv6 protocol and the ARP binding. As soon as I disable IPv6, the ARP binding entries stick and work as they should, even after a router reboot or power down.

As I don't need IPv6 now (and probably won't for a while), this completely solves the problem for me, although there's obviously the need for a firmware update addressing this issue, especially for people who need IPv6 and ARP binding.

Anyway, I'd like to thank Mr. Hank Zhang from TP-Link support for his attention and effort to solve the problem.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-11-25 22:09:11 - last edited 2020-11-25 22:14:13

I'd just like to chime in that I was in contact with the same person, and have come to the same conclusion. This also is a nice explenation for why this wasn't always a reproducable issue, since it seems IPv6 still has some growing to do and isn't always available.

Personally for the time being I'll still be using my old router for, well, routing since it supports both IPv6 and a static ARP bind. I'm also really against TP-Link's design philosophy where it's not possible to use the same MAC address for both a static DHCP entry and an ARP binding at the same time; my old router permits this and this causes no issues, and I'd say if someone creates a static DHCP entry then an ARP binding to go along with it would be a very sensible thing to do.

Granted, my old router doesn't have a built-in interface for static ARP binds but it's possible to script them in anyway.

Options
2020-11-26 10:58:40

@Shaamaan 

Thank for sharing your opinion about the issue, as mentioned by Hank that this will also report to the R&D team, they will see how to resolve this maybe in the future firmware updates, we hope you could wait.

Options