TD-W9980 Firewall blocks wireless traffic to LAN

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-20 10:01:10 - last edited 2020-06-22 03:44:50

Hi I am having a problem with my ageing TD-W9980 wireless router whereby it is blocking access to my LAN from wireless devices. I recently added a wired NAS to my LAN and can access it fine from any ethernet connected device but wireless connection fails as host unreachable, I cannot ping the NAS from the wireless lan either. When I turn off the router firewall it connects fine so I thought it would just be a matter of adding a specific rule to the firewall. However, whatever rule I apply it still blocks WLAN to LAN traffic. I had the same problem setting up a wireless printer and in the end I gave up and attached the printer by USB. Can anybody help me sort this out please?

Oh I forgot to say internet access from the wireless devices is fine.

Options
5 Reply
Re:TD-W9980 Firewall blocks wireless traffic to LAN
2020-06-30 05:58:10

@PBB14 

Hi, for your issue, we would like to confirm the below information first.

May I know the whole network topology in your home?

Is the TD-W9980 connected to an Access Point or other device which has Wi-Fi function?

Options
2020-06-30 11:16:14

@Sunshine  Thanks for your reply.

I have currently replaced the TD-W9980 with another spare router and the problem disappeared straight away, so it definitely is the TD-W9980 causing the problem. However the spare router is an ISP supplied router and  lacks configurable options so I would like to get the TD-W9980 working if I can. 

Here are the details you requested.

Please see the attached  network diagram for the layout of the following items.

TD-W9980 is the main wireless router providing VDSL internet access, DHCP server for the entire network and supplies the WLAN for upstairs.

NAS, Win 10 PC and upstairs powerline network extender connected to TD-W9980 LAN.

Powerline Network extenders connected via house electrical wiring.

Downstairs powerline extender, BluRay & TV connected to BT HH 5 wireless router.

The BT HH 5 has DHCP, firewall and VDSL disabled and is  used as a LAN & WIFI extender.

Both WLANs have the same SSID & passwords but have different channels.

ALL ethernet connected devices can connect to NAS OK. ALL wireless connections to the downstairs HH 5 can connect to any Ethernet device including NAS and have internet access OK.

ALL upstairs WLAN devices have internet access but NO access to Ethernet LAN, (cannot ping or connect).  If I disable the TD-W9980 firewall the upstairs WLAN connects OK to Ethernet LAN. I have tried many firewall rules but none allow WLAN to see the LAN. I have checked that the TD-W9980 does not have client isolation enabled. I have also factory reset the router and re installed the latest FW.

Options
2020-07-02 08:46:57

@PBB14 

Hi, for your issue, I have checked it from our senior engineers who discussed your issue hard.

We have no better suggestion than turning off the firewall of the modem TD-W9980 currently.

Really so sorry for that.

Actually, it has little influence when you turn off the firewall of the modem.

If you don't want to turn off the firewall of the modem, it is suggested that you can try our new modem Archer VR2100 which is new and better for you.

Good day!

Options
2020-07-02 13:25:21

@Sunshine Thank you for taking the time to investigate. That new Archer VR2100 looks really cool.

Options
2020-07-03 07:23:17

@PBB14 

Hi, thanks for your praising. :)

Please feel free to contact us again whenever you need our help! 

Have a nice day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 907

Replies: 5