Range extender AC750

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Range extender AC750

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Range extender AC750
Range extender AC750
2020-06-21 15:16:25
Model: RE205  
Hardware Version: V20
Firmware Version: 1

Hi I've just set up my range extender which has helped but isn't quite what I thought it would be. Anyway, I thought devices automatically connected to the extender when they came into range/ left the range of my main router, but it doesn't seem to do so. Is this how they are supposed to work or do you need to connect to the ext option when you scan for WiFi on your device? I'm a bit of IT luddite so any help would be appreciated 😊

Thanks

Options
6 Reply
Re:Range extender AC750
2020-06-22 08:21:52

@Fireman71 

Hi, may I know the model number of your host router? Is it also a TP-Link Onemesh router?

Are all of your devices preferring to connect to the extender's network even they are next to the router? Or some specific devices? May I have the model of the wireless adapters on those devices?

Options
2020-06-22 17:43:29

@Solla-topee hi. Thanks for your reply. The model is a RE 205. I'm not having any problems connecting any device to it, I'm just not sure how it is supposed to work and whether I have set it up properly. I can find my router and then an EXT and also a 2.4 and aren't sure if my mobile devices should automatically connect to the strongest signal as I move around the house and if not, how do I know whether to connect to the ext or the 2.4?

Thanks

Options
2020-06-23 01:00:28

@Fireman71 

Hello, 

If you already have the _EXT wireless signal and you can access the internet, which means the setup is successful.

Generally, the clients will choose better and stronger signal wireless automatically and we cannot change their choice by changing settings on the extender.

For a wireless device roaming issue, you may refer to this FAQ below:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/592/

Options
2020-06-23 07:32:10

@Solla-topee Hi. Thanks for your reply. I'm reassured I've set it up correctly. Just one last question, what's the difference between the 2.4g etx and the ext signal? Is the ext for the 5g frequency and how does the client determine which to connect to?

Thanks

Options
2020-06-23 08:16:13

@Fireman71 

Hi, if you didn't change the name of the extender, generally, the EXT is for the 2.4G by default, and the EXT_5G if for the 5G wireless of the extender.

Whether the device will connect to the 2.4G or 5G or EXT will depend on their own choice, basically, they will choose the stronger wireless to connect.

Options
2020-06-23 09:11:24

@Solla-topee thanks.👍

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 679

Replies: 6

Related Articles