OPEN VPN and security issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-26 20:41:37 - last edited 2020-07-29 07:09:31
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20200427 rel.80857(4555)

Hello , 

I got my new (TP-Link AX6000 router 5 days ago and I set it up and it's working fine. I was also able to set up the Openvpn server to access my network from any remote network and this also works fine for me but only the problem which is a security issue is there is no VPN authentication / login  required to connect to the Openvpn server ? !

Is there any option to resolve this issue? or will this be fixed in the coming update as now if someone gets the config file he will be able to connect to my network.

Also, I use a dynamic name registered with TP-link but when I export the VPN config file the remote address it shows my public dynamic IP not the registered name with TP-link. I tried to reboot the router and re-enable the VPN but had the same problem.

Other enhancement I request to be added in the new coming firmware update for this router:

1-There is no ports status info page ? so you will not know from the router GUI panel which ports are connected and what is the port speed i.e. 10 , 100 or 1000. and this option available in all routers i.e. Asus , linksys , netgear and many others   

2-If you need to reserved IP address in DHCP you have to enter it manually but on all other routers i.e. Asus 2900 once you go to the clients page click on any IP it will display an list of options for the same IP / device such as reserving the IP , block the connection or set an internet limit.

Seems to me TP-Link firmware needs some improvement and some bugs to be fixed and hope this will be soon.

Regards

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:OPEN VPN and security issues-Solution
2020-07-29 07:09:26 - last edited 2020-07-29 07:09:31

@Al_Aamry 

Hello,

As far as I know, the OpenVPN config file is secured and encrypted when you configure it on the router, there is no other authentication for the clients to login but data is secured.

As for the VPN config file showing a public dynamic IP issue, I'm afraid it is the current design. You may modify the configuration file and change the IP address to the domain, which should work.

As for your other suggestions, we will forward it to the developer and they will evaluate the feasibility.

Thanks a lot for your valued suggestions again.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:OPEN VPN and security issues-Solution
2020-07-29 07:09:26 - last edited 2020-07-29 07:09:31

@Al_Aamry 

Hello,

As far as I know, the OpenVPN config file is secured and encrypted when you configure it on the router, there is no other authentication for the clients to login but data is secured.

As for the VPN config file showing a public dynamic IP issue, I'm afraid it is the current design. You may modify the configuration file and change the IP address to the domain, which should work.

As for your other suggestions, we will forward it to the developer and they will evaluate the feasibility.

Thanks a lot for your valued suggestions again.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:OPEN VPN and security issues
2022-01-10 14:24:41

@Kevin_Z I don't think you completely understand the security issue here. Your response is inaproppriate. If somebody get that config file from you. You are in hell of a trouble. No more doesn't matter if your connection is secured. They are connected to your VPN.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1557

Replies: 2

Related Articles