Sonos won't connect to Archer AX6000

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-28 10:13:45 - last edited 2020-09-08 01:19:09
Model: Archer AX6000  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20200427 rel.80857(4555)

Hi

Recently changed my router from a Linksys WRT1900ACS running Luci firmware to a TP link Archer AX6000 - my Sonos speakers refuse to connect to the 2.4GHz wifi on the AX6000. 

Sonos kit:

2x One, 1x One SL, 1 x Play:1, 1x Ikea Symfonisk bookshelf - I’ve upgraded to S2.

All my non-Sonos 2.4GHz kit works fine with the new router. I’m running with duplicate SSIDs for 2.4 and 5 GHz I’ve tried with and without smartconnect. I’ve also tried setting up a totally new 2.4 GHz SSID. I’ve tried turning AP isolation on and off (usually off on my non guest networks). Speaker location isn’t an issue here - I’ve been trying the below with the speakers a short distance from the router. 

Tried the following via the app:

Going through the ‘changed router/wifi settings’ journey

Wiping the app and factory resetting the speakers.

Joining the speakers using the ‘accessory configuration’ process (Apple native)

Joining the speakers using the ‘select SSID and type in password’ process

Connecting one speaker with a wired connection (this all works until I disconnect the wired speaker at the end of the process.) I didn’t check whether the wireless speakers connected over Sonosnet were also visible as airplay devices. I don’t want to run with one wired sonos (this will involve digging out my old powerline ethernet kit to keep the speakers in the same places - I’d rather not).

No matter what the process, the Sonos app generally fails at the step of adding my wifi network (in a couple of cases the app appears to complete this process but then I can’t see any speakers).

Interestingly the speakers are connecting to the router - I can see them in the list of DHCP leases, and I can ping them, they just aren’t visible in the app. Makes me think there is some kind of peer to peer comms thats not working between the speakers/phone running the app. 

In the end, I reconfigured the old Linksys router to be an AP (no firewall or DHCP services) added a different SSID and plugged it into a TP-Link LAN port. The Sonos speakers work fine with that, only wrinkle is that the phone running the Sonos app has to be on that new SSID to add new speakers - it can be on the main SSID (same subnet) to use Sonos (either natively or Airplay2).

So I have things working again, but I don’t want to run both routers long term. Any ideas?

Justin

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Sonos won't connect to Archer AX6000-Solution
2020-09-08 01:17:34 - last edited 2020-09-08 01:19:09

@Eroc 

Hi, we have released official firmware in early August, you may check it on your local website:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/archer-ax6000/#Firmware

Good days.

Recommended Solution
Options
25 Reply
Re:Sonos won't connect to Archer AX6000
2020-06-28 11:25:03

@JustinW 

Hi, apologies for all trouble or issues you've encountered with this AX6000 router.

Can you please try some troubleshooting suggestions first and see if we could make it work properly?
1. Please try to change the 2.4G wireless security to WPA2-PSK, AES, save it.
2. Go to Guest Network and enable 'Allow Guests to Access Each Other', save and reboot the router.

If the above suggestions don't work, please try to update the AX6000 firmware to the below one:

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202006/20200624/ax6000v1_us-up-ver1-1-2-P1[20200623-rel23579]_beta_2020-06-23_18.34.36.zip

Do reply to let the community know, thanks.

Options
2020-06-28 14:14:24

@JustinW 

Had a similar issue with my Roberts radio. Router wasn't giving the radio an ip address. Same as above i chaned the security setting and radio came on. Went back to original wpa2 and radio stayed on. Also gave radio a  reservation  or static ip. Worked ever since.

Options
2020-06-28 16:11:00
I had the same problem
Options
2020-06-28 18:06:33
Hi, My 2.4 network was already set to Wpa2-psk and aes (aes is the only option available in this firmware it seems). I tried the guest network setting (although guest networks are disabled). With no luck. I’ll try the firmware later when my Family aren’t using the network. Justin
Options
2020-06-28 19:19:26

@JustinW I got my router 5 days ago and from day one  I faced a lot of issues : 

1- WIFI not stable sometimes will not work and I must reset my Wi-Fi on my iPhone device.

2-OPENVPN seems not working after setting it up everything when I export the config file the remote server it shows my public IP instead of the dynamic domain name.

3-Theere is no login authentication to the VPN sever therefore if anyone get the config file and load it in his device, he will be able to connect to my VPN / network.

2-DHCP lease time now limited to 3 days only I recommend this to be maximum of 7 days. 

3-There is no network ports status page to show the details of which ports are in use and what is the link speed.

4-The IP reservation in the DHCP I have too added manually but and a lot of new router when you display the connected devices click on the IP address it will show you a list of option for the same IP , i.e. Block IP , reserve it in DHCP , limit the internet speed .. etc. 

4-For the VPN SSL why you do not integrate, and use Lets Encrypt free SSL instead of using local generated SSL certificate.

I hope someone from TP-Link to share these issues to their firmware developers’ team:

Thank you

Options
2020-06-28 21:39:43

So, the beta firmware provided seems to have solved the problem, all my Sonos devices are working directly connected to the AX6000.

I'll see what the stability is like during the next few days and report back!

It would be great to know when the firmware moves from beta to full release, or the fixes go into a new release.

Thanks!

Justin

Options
2020-07-02 14:28:44

So far this build seems better, I've had some cases where an airport express, acting as an airplay2 gatway has had some drop outs. This connects on 2.4Ghz. But this hasnt occurred with the Sonos devices as yet. 

luckily, I'm not facing the issues these guys are with what I think is the same version. 

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/210860?page=5

I'm going to set up some monitoring with telegraf to see if I have any drops on 5GHz

have noticed a problem with one windows 7 laptop with an intel adapter that wont connect if ax is on. So I turned that off on 2.4 for now. I don't know if thats new with this beta firmware. May look at driver updates there. 

Options
2020-07-07 08:15:45
Is the beta firmware for the EU region or just US? I have the same problems with 5 GHz and thought it might be worth trying. Thanks
Options
2020-07-07 12:36:16

@Transmission1 

I'm based in the UK, and it worked fine for me. Haven't checked which channels etc are available, suspect that would be the main reason for the regionalisation. 

Justin

Options
2020-07-09 12:54:15

This is still quite fragile. 

I decided to split my ssids (most of my devices were sticking to 2.4 most of the time). I dont use smart connect due to its documented behaviour on tp-link of only switching devices between networks every 24 hrs. 

so I renamed the 5Ghz network, assuming this would not impact the 2.4 Ghz. i could connect my phone to either network. 

However, Iimmediately lost the ability to see my sonos kit, and an airport express I was using as an airplay2 adaptor. My phone was connected to the new 5Ghz network at this point. (I didnt try connecting via 2.4 at this point, wish I had). 

so I switched the 5Ghz name back to match the 2.4 name. At this point the config was exactly the same as before. 

still couldn't see the sonos and airplay devices even with my mobile on 2.4. 

router reboot didnt help. 

I toggled the guest network isolation (which has been suggested before.) with no luck. 

in the end, locking the 2.4 to ch6 20 mhz brought it all back (this was set to auto before -when it was working). 

Its almost like config changes corrupt other parts of the config or have unintended consequences. 

I'm beginning to think about returning the router (but may have an issue with this, having flashed it, and had it for more than 14 days). Not impressed so far. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6697

Replies: 25