VR400 as a modem and interface management.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-06-30 07:34:01
Model: Archer VR400  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: Archer VR400(EU)_V2_170719

Hi community,

Here is my question / problem.

My setup is the following.

VR400 connecting to my ISP (DSL connection), then a router connecting on LAN4/WAN interface to do the authentication. 

For the management, I first connected Lan 1 onto my router in order to have the management interface available from within my network... but for some reasons, it caused some network havok and I had to remove the connection. Which brings me to another problem, if not connected to my internal network, how can I manage it?

So, for the management interface (e.g. the interface where the web console is available from) I'd like to restrict it to LAN1-2 or 3 but not 4 as it is used for the internet connection.

My idea was to group the interfaces into a VLAN (e.g either Lan1-3 together or Lan4 and the bridged interface together) just to prevent unwanted traffic and add some security whilst giving me access to the management interface via local address. 

I've been looking in the doc and various forums/website without finding an answer... 

So, is it doable ? And if yes, how could that be achieved ? 

Thanks in advance,

TheFx1

Options
3 Reply
Re:VR400 as a modem and interface management.
2020-07-01 06:51:09

@TheFx1

Hi, I have checked from our senior engineers about your issue. Sorry that your demand can't be achieved. 

The VR400 is used as the bridge modem and it only takes effect of transferring the data from the telephone to Ethernet. Another router is used as DHCP NAT device.

You can't across the NAT device to enter the management page of the bridge modem.

The VR400 has no DHCP function, no other use but only transferring the data signal.

Options
2020-07-01 10:20:42

@Sunshine 

Thanks a lot for your answer. 

The question was not related to the DHCP, it is more to secure the access to the web interface of the VR400 from only LAN interfaces (e.g. 1,2 or 3) from my intranet and preventing the web interface from being accessed from the LAN4 interface which I use for the connection to the internet.

Best regards,

FX.

Options
2020-07-04 14:45:48

@Sunshine 

I have upgraded the firmware of my VR400 to the last one available on tp-link website (Archer VR400(EU)_V2_200701) and I have a few questions.

- first the banner at the bottom when connected shows a beta version of the firmware 

- On top of this I do not have the interface grouping available anymore 

Have a look at the screenshot attrached (version at the bottom) and missing menu on the side.

So is the firmware a beta one ? And if yes, when will we get a GA firmware? 

Will the firmware include again the interface grouping functionality ? 

If this funtionality is gone, can I roll back to a previous firmware without problems ? 

Thanks in advance and best regards,

FX

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1052

Replies: 3