Modem is managing IPs instead of Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-05 21:03:37
Model: TD-W8961N  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.0.0 Build 170919 Rel.21648

Hello, the situation is like this, i have 3 devices:
- 1 Wireless ADSL Modem/Router TD-W8961N
- 2 Wireless Routers: WR641G/642G v4 (Which i will call Router A) and a WR720N (Router B)

My ISP works with Dynamic IP.

If i connect the Router B to the modem everything works fine, the modem assings an IP to the router and the router handles the other devices that are connected to it.

The problem starts when i connect the Router A to the modem, by default the Router A LAN IP Address is 192.168.1.1 which is the same one the Modem has by default and makes Router B to connect to Router A instead. 

I changed the Router A LAN IP address to 192.168.2.1 and everything started to work fine again, Modem is giving IP address to Router B.

What i noticed was that although Router A has internet connection and every device that is "connected" through Router A's Network also has internet, they are not being given an IP by the Router A but the Modem instead, i also noticed that the Modem does not give an IP to Router A at all, it seem that Router A is forwarding every device to receive an Ip by the Modem instead but i haven't touched that at all, everything is default but the wireless settings and LAN IP. Another problem that is caused because of this is that everytime i restart the modem, Router B connects to Router A Network, so i have to Release/Renew so Router B connects to the Modem Network again.

What might be the cause that My Modem and Router A are behaving like this? and how could i solve this situation so the Modem gives only 1 IP to each Router and that each Router Manages the rest of the devices?

Options
1 Reply
Re:Modem is managing IPs instead of Router
2020-07-13 10:14:42 - last edited 2020-07-13 10:19:40

@Altor 

Hello,

In order to better assist you, please help us to confirm the following information:

What is your network topology? 

What operation mode did you use on both the modem and router? 

What IP address did you get from router A? Here is a FAQ you can refer to find it: https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2375/

What did you mean that when you reboot the modem, you need to Release/Renew on router B? How did you do it, from the web interface of this router?

Did the router A able to get the Internet from the modem when you reboot the modem?

From our description, you want the router A and router B to get only one IP (the same IP) from the modem, right?

May it help and have a nice day!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 352

Replies: 1