TL-WR841N - CONFIGURATION: Access Point vs. WLAN Router

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-06 11:12:38 - last edited 2020-07-13 06:11:16
Model: TL-WR841N_EU  
Hardware Version: V9
Firmware Version:

Hi community!

Some months ago I bought this TP-Link router (second hand), in order to connect a desktop PC by LAN, a netbook (by LAN or WLAN), a smartphone and a printer - these two unities only by WLAN.

The TP-Link router is connected with internet through a Fritz!Box (main DSL router).

I had quite no problems, to get that. Only for the printer I had to set a dedicated IP address, to avoid often new printer login.

But sometimes I get repeatedly conncetion breaks. Are they due to a bad internet locally or to a not correct configuration of the TP-Link router?

I searched on the TP-LINK support web and I found two interesting contributions:

1. How to set the WLAN on the router (https://www.tp-link.com/de/support/faq/1015/) - This is also, how I set my TP-Link router.

2. How to use the router as access point (https://www.tp-link.com/de/support/faq/962/)

I don't know, which is the best configuration for me, because I cannot understand this: why the two configurations are different for a use, that is the same?

Or is there a difference between a router with WLAN and an access point router?

Can you help me, please?!

Thanks a lot in advance

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TL-WR841N - CONFIGURATION: Access Point vs. WLAN Router-Solution
2020-07-10 13:14:30 - last edited 2020-07-13 06:11:16

@chameleon 

Hello, thanks so much for your detailed information.

Basically, a wireless router is a combination of a wireless access point and a wired router, it routes data packets across a network. While an access point only connects Wi-Fi devices together. Refer to the below link for more details:

What’s the difference between the Access Point Mode and Router Mode on the TP-Link wireless router?

Back to your initial inquiry, you may keep the existing settings on your WR841N and leave it working as a router, as you need to build a sub-LAN. However, you may not be able to visit the printer which is not in the same sub-LAN.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:TL-WR841N - CONFIGURATION: Access Point vs. WLAN Router
2020-07-09 07:37:59

@chameleon 

Hello, please confirm some details before I can tell whether your settings are correct or not:

1. What is the detailed network diagram, is it Fritz!Box DSL modem router (LAN)-(WAN) WR841N (LAN)-printer? If the Fritz!Box is a DSL modem router, it will be suggested to configure the WR841N to work as an access point, otherwise, there will be double NAT in your network and there might be an issue on your printer.

2. What is the WAN IP address on the WR841N? What is the IP address you gave to the printer?

3. What if you connect the printer directly to your Fritz!Box modem router, will it work?

Thanks.

Options
2020-07-09 10:10:12

@Kevin_Z 

thanks a lot for your replay!

actually, I did only need some information about the differences between the two configurations, that for me look like equivalent  ...

... but, no problem here are the data

THE CURRENT CONNECTION CONFIGURATION

Extern Line <-> WAN port of FRITZBOX!-7362-SL (DSL modem) <-> LAN Port <-> WAN port of TP-Link

TP-Link <-> LAN port <-> Desktop PC

TP-Link <-> WLAN <-> Netbook (but sometimes through LAN port)

TP-Link <-> WLAN <-> Smartphone

TP-Link <-> WLAN <-> Printer with dedicated (permanent) IP: 192.168.0.102

MY WISHES FOR MY SUBNETTING

* relativ independent from the main router concerning the administration of unities connected with the TP-Link (like a  sub-router)

* not accessibility at all to the unities comnnected with the TP-Link (like a sub-router)

TP-Llink SETTINGS

A - Network - WAN

WAN connection type: Dynamic IP

IP Address:              192.168.178.31 -> I think, this one has been assigned by the FritzBox!

Subnet Mask:           255.255.255.0

Default Gateway:     192.168.178.1  -> I thinkl, this could be the internal IP address of the Fritz!Box

Primary DNS:           192.168.178.1 (not active)

Secondary DNS:       0.0.0.0

Host Name:               TL-WR841N

B - Network - LAN

MAC Address:     C4-6E-1F-8C-CF-26

IP Address:          192.168.0.1

Subnet Mask:       255.255.255.0

IGMP Proxy:         enabled

C - Wireless Settings

Wireless Network Name: XXXX

Region:              Germany

Mode:                 11bgn mixed

Channel Width:   auto

Channel              auto

D - Wireless Security

Version:              WPA2-PSK

Encryption:         AES

E - DHCP Settings

DHCP Server:       enabled

Start IP Address:  192.168.0.100

End IP Address:   192.168.0.199

Default Gateway:  192.168.0.1

Primary DNS:        0.0.0.0

Secondary DNS:   0.0.0.0

FRITZ!Box SETTINGS

I am not able to give surely information about the settings of the FRITZ!Box because this ist not mine. It belongs to the renter of my apartment and he has no interest about my subnet.

Here the defaullt data - I don't think they are manual changed

IPv4-Address:               192.168.178.1
Subnet mask:                255.255.255.0
DHCP-Server:               activated

Network Address:         192.168.178.0
IPv4 Address range:     192.168.178.2 – 192.168.178.254

192.168.178.1               reserved for the FRITZ!Box

192.168.178.255           reserved for Broadcast

192.168.178.20   – 192.168.178.200    reserved for the DHCP server

192.168.178.201 – 192.168.178.254    reserved for FRITZ!Box users with VPN access

169.254.1.1                   reserved IPv4 Address for emergency (not changeable)

ABOUT YOUR FURTHER QUESTIONS

Question: What if you connect the printer directly to your Fritz!Box modem router, will it work?

Answer: Until few months ago my smartphone was connected with internet through the WLAN of FRITZ!Box. Further it was not possible to set a WLAN connection with my Netbook.

Then the renter began cutting the WLAN connection and at the end he changed its pasasword. So I decided to bild a subnet.

About issues with internet: I don't really know, if they are due of the connection. I think also, the connection in my region ist not always good.

About issues with printer connection: after he had got a dedicated IP address, I have not recorded any issues more

Options
Re:TL-WR841N - CONFIGURATION: Access Point vs. WLAN Router-Solution
2020-07-10 13:14:30 - last edited 2020-07-13 06:11:16

@chameleon 

Hello, thanks so much for your detailed information.

Basically, a wireless router is a combination of a wireless access point and a wired router, it routes data packets across a network. While an access point only connects Wi-Fi devices together. Refer to the below link for more details:

What’s the difference between the Access Point Mode and Router Mode on the TP-Link wireless router?

Back to your initial inquiry, you may keep the existing settings on your WR841N and leave it working as a router, as you need to build a sub-LAN. However, you may not be able to visit the printer which is not in the same sub-LAN.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-07-12 18:30:06

@Kevin_Z 

Tanks very much for your answer an the reference link!

You wrote:

Only for information:

from PC in TP-Link Subnet, through WLAN, I can print, get the print orders list, see and (as admin) change the printer settings  - at least since the printer has a dedicated IP.

About the experencied interruptions of internet connection:

I am now sure, it does not depennd at all from TP-Link configuration or something similar. I surfed 2-3 days with my PC directly connected with the FRIT!Box (the main Modem-Router) and the connection was also interrupted more times - no significative difererences compared with the connection through TP-Link als Sub-Router.

PS: I don't know, how I can mark this thread als "done" or "solved" ...

Options
2020-07-13 06:11:07

@chameleon 

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

I will mark this post as solved then.

Have a nice day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2141

Replies: 5