Can I plug a wired connection (PC) on a secondary Deco M5 that's connected to the Main through Wifi?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Can I plug a wired connection (PC) on a secondary Deco M5 that's connected to the Main through Wifi?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-06 12:53:12
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

So my main Deco M5 is connected to the modem first floor of the and a secondary is routed via Wifi Backhaul at the second floor of the house. 

Question is can I plug a PC in the secondary Deco M5 via a wired ethernet connection? Will it make a difference in performance?

Currently it's Main Deco M5 wirelessly connected to 2nd Deco M5 where the PC is connected via Wifi.  (Deco - - - > Deco - - - -> PC)

Plan is Main Deco M5 wirelessly connected to 2nd Deco M5 connect Ethernet Cable to PC (Deco - - - > Deco ---> PC)

Thinking one less wireless connection will make it faster. 

Wireless connection = "- - - >"

Wired Connection = "--->"

Options
10 Reply
Re:Can I plug a wired connection (PC) on a secondary Deco M5 that's connected to the Main through Wifi?
2020-07-08 16:20:07 - last edited 2020-07-08 16:20:27

> Question is can I plug a PC in the secondary Deco M5 via a wired ethernet connection? Yes.

> Will it make a difference in performance? Possibly.

Options
Re:Can I plug a wired connection (PC) on a secondary Deco M5 that's connected to the Main through Wifi?
2020-12-03 14:25:13
Hi! I'm planning to have a wired ethernet from the deco m5 to the PC, may I ask if you were able to do that?
Options
2020-12-03 17:05:24

@agd Yup! I was able to. Works perfect! 

Options
2021-03-08 03:36:27

@GabZ 
How were you able to do that? Did you make any changes in the settings. When I tried it, it wouldn't work for me.

Options
2021-07-14 11:32:07
I wasn't able to do that. Please share if you could
Options
2021-07-14 13:55:51

@Leoccl 

When it works, all one has to do is connect PC to Deco with Ethernet cable.

If it does not work for you, try this:

Connect PC to Satellite Deco with Ethernet cable

Reboot PC

Open command prompt, run "ipconfig /all" and share the output. It will be similar to the following:

Also, it would help if you could tell if you run Deco in Access Point or Router mode.

Options
2021-07-14 17:17:05

@Alexandre. Thank you.

I have a MacBook Air and I'm connecting the ethernet cable via a Thunderbolt bridge directly to the secondary Deco. I have gone through MacBooks Network settings, and I couldn´t manually configure a  DNS connection..

Options
2021-07-15 02:03:01

@Leoccl 

Hi, did you use a Thunderbolt-to-Ethernet adapter to connect the MacBook Air to the secondary Deco and It turned out MacBook Air could not get internet service from Deco?

Options
2021-07-15 07:56:01

@TP-Link correct. But wifi is working

Options
2021-07-16 03:52:28

@Leoccl 

Hi, Did you use the Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter on MacBook Air to get internet service from other routers before?

And have you already made the following configuration on the Mac:

https://kb.netgear.com/30009/How-do-I-configure-the-Apple-Thunderbolt-to-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter-for-use-with-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-modem-router

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 10375

Replies: 10

Related Articles