Devices connect to router but have incorrect IP address

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-06 16:55:20 - last edited 2020-07-10 12:42:41
Model: Archer A20  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.8

First off, the model of my router is an Archer AX50 (not the AX20). The AX50 was not listed in the dropdown so I selected something close.

I've been having this issue for a while now and it happens on multiple devices. 

When I connect to the wifi routher, the devices connect OK but the IP addresses the devices get configured with are not in the range of my router's subnet.

For example, with a Gateway IP of 192.168.1.1 and the subnet of 255.255.255.0, the IP addresses my devices get configured with are in the 172.16.12.XXX range and the gateway is 172.16.12.1. 

On my Android phone, if I forget the network and reconnect, that sometimes fixes the issue. Sometimes simply diconnecting and reconnecting does it. Neither remidy the situation 100% of the time. On my iPad I simply can not get the correct settings. The steps that help the Android do not help the iOS device. If I set static IP addresses/gateways the devices work as expected. 

Any idea as to why this is happeing and how to correct it?

Thanks!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Devices connect to router but have incorrect IP address-Solution
2020-07-09 14:57:52 - last edited 2020-07-10 12:42:41

@Kevin_Z 

It's a simple home network. One routher is connected to by a dozen or so devices.

All but two are wireless.

The wired devices always get the correct IP configureation.

If I assign a dedicated IP address in the DHCP range to a given MAC address the devices get that IP address and correct gatewy/subnet configuration.

As of now I've configred dedicated DHCP addresses to the MAC addresses of the two devices (Samsung Galaxy phone & iPad) that were experincing this issue.

That is a sufficient workaround for my problem so I'm not pursuing it further.

Thanks for the reply!

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Devices connect to router but have incorrect IP address
2020-07-09 07:25:57

@MAllgood 

Hello, may I have the detailed network diagram that how the devices are connected? Who is your ISP and what is the WAN IP address on the AX50? Please show us some screenshots by logging into its web UI.

How about the wired devices, are they always getting the correct IP address?

Is there any special setting on the AX50? If possible, please reset it to factory defaults and set it up again.

Thanks.

Options
Re:Devices connect to router but have incorrect IP address-Solution
2020-07-09 14:57:52 - last edited 2020-07-10 12:42:41

@Kevin_Z 

It's a simple home network. One routher is connected to by a dozen or so devices.

All but two are wireless.

The wired devices always get the correct IP configureation.

If I assign a dedicated IP address in the DHCP range to a given MAC address the devices get that IP address and correct gatewy/subnet configuration.

As of now I've configred dedicated DHCP addresses to the MAC addresses of the two devices (Samsung Galaxy phone & iPad) that were experincing this issue.

That is a sufficient workaround for my problem so I'm not pursuing it further.

Thanks for the reply!

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-07-10 12:42:31

@MAllgood 

Hello, thanks for getting back with these details. Glad to hear that the DHCP address reservation solved the issue now.

We will also ask our engineer to check if we can reproduce this issue in our lab and update you.

Good days.

Options
2021-08-30 17:08:11

@Kevin_Z 

I am having the same issue with my ip assignment.  My network is 192.168.254.x and some devices are getting assigned 192.168.10.x for random devices.  I worked around it as a bandaid and just assign static IPs to devices I can.  For other devices like echos and magic jack, I think I will have to figure out what Mac addresses they are and reserve IPs for them.  This problem just started happening after 2 years of not touching any setup.  I have not found root cause.  I have now bought and replaced my frontier router with a archer c6.  I have a archer c9 as an access point.

Options
2021-08-31 02:18:48

@Dna2 

Can you provide a detailed network layout that how are the Archer C6 and Archer C9 connected to the network? Which one is the DHCP gateway, which means which one is handling 192.168.254.x?

Please check and ensure the DHCP server on the access point is disabled. BTW, is 192.168.10.1 the IP address of the access point?

Options