OpenVPN assistance with configuration

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-10 13:09:10 - last edited 2020-07-24 10:04:32
Model: Archer C2300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.0.3 Build 20180810 Rel. 62903

Hi all,

currently, I am having trouble setting up my OpenVPN solution. I am located in Poland, UPC is my ISP and their cable modem model I am using is CH7465LG-LC.

I am trying to configure OpenVPN on the Archer C2300 behind the UPC cable modem and I am facing some issues.

What I managed to do so far is this:

- Archer device is configured as a router, not as an Access Point, otherwise, I would not have access to the OpenVPN functionality

- DHCP is set to Auto and I all my devices are getting IP addresses from the UPC cable modem, where DHCP is activated

- My ISP is using IPv4 and IPv6 (from what I can see on the cable modem config)

- I have linked my Archer device with the tplinkdns service and have an assigned URL. I can see from logs that the DNS resolution is recognizing my public IPv4 address

- OpenVPN service on the Archer device is activated, the certificate was generated and the profile exported and imported onto the OpenVPN client on my test device

Now I cannot connect to the OpenVPN service and I assume that either IPv6 might be the problem, my OpenVPN client config is not correct, or that I neet do setup port forwarding on the cable modem.

I would appreciate your input on how to continue my troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Aleks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:OpenVPN assistance with configuration-Solution
2020-07-24 06:46:14 - last edited 2020-07-24 10:04:32

Hi @Kevin_Z,

I managed to make it work.

It turned out that my ISP was using IPv6 on their UPC device, which caused some issues.

After changing it to IPv4 I was able to configure the device as "modem only" (no necesarry port forwarding) and my C2300 was able to recognize incoming openVPN connections.

Thanks,

Aleks

Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:OpenVPN assistance with configuration
2020-07-22 12:19:25

@Aleks.Boel 

Hello, thanks for reporting this issue.

Please help verify some details and we will try to figure it out:

1. Please provide us your network topology, is it ISP cable modem (LAN)-(WAN)C2300(LAN)-PC?

2. Please check the VPN Tunnel: login the web interface, and on the VPN Server-> VPN Connections, confirm if there is a VPN connection enabled and show us the status. 

3. Check the Firewall and Anti-Virus software on the server. Generally, Windows Firewall would block the packages from the VPN Client, disabling the firewall on Windows PC for "public" and "private" network will be helpful. Windows Firewall is located at "Control panel->System and Security->Windows Firewall/Windows Defender Firewall".

4. Can you ping the IP of the C2300 and the server from the outside?

Thanks.

Options
2020-07-22 13:46:08
oh thanks
Options
Re:OpenVPN assistance with configuration-Solution
2020-07-24 06:46:14 - last edited 2020-07-24 10:04:32

Hi @Kevin_Z,

I managed to make it work.

It turned out that my ISP was using IPv6 on their UPC device, which caused some issues.

After changing it to IPv4 I was able to configure the device as "modem only" (no necesarry port forwarding) and my C2300 was able to recognize incoming openVPN connections.

Thanks,

Aleks

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-07-24 10:04:56

@Aleks.Boel 

Hi, glad to hear that it works, congrats.^_^

If need any further help, just let us know.

Good day

Options
2020-07-28 14:45:40

@Kevin_Z 

Out of curiosity - is there a possibility to adjust some parameters (MTU size, encryption ciphers etc.) on the OpenVPN server which is running on the Archer device?

I have noticed that my UPC ISP bandwidth is not fully utilized (500 MBit download/30 MBit upload) when connecting to the Router from another ISP connection.

I only get 10 MBit download (30% of the 30MBit upload) and only 5 MBit upload (1% of the 500 MBit download) when performing a speed test while being connected to the VPN tunnel.

Thanks,

Aleks

Options
2020-07-29 05:40:46

@Aleks.Boel 

Hello Aleks,

Sorry that there is no such parameters can be modified on the router VPN settings to improve this connection speed.

Good days.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1211

Replies: 6

Related Articles