Is it smart to have your guest network on 2.4GHZ and your main network on 5.0 GHZ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Is it smart to have your guest network on 2.4GHZ and your main network on 5.0 GHZ?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-14 18:16:10 - last edited 2020-07-17 09:52:01
Model: Deco X60  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there,

I'm using an app to scan WIFI in the neighbourhood. Seems like everybody is on the same WIFI-channel crying. Including my own main and guest network.

So the question arises: Is it smart to have your guests on 2.4GHZ and my main network on 5.0GHZ? ( I noticed that 5.0GHZ is less crowded ) Because this would make it a bit less 'crowed'. Does my reasoing make sense or is it just something I missunderstood? laugh

Additional questions:
1. Does my DECO X60 automatically switch WIFI-channels? I read somewhere it does, but I can honestly confirm that it does not.
2. Will there ever be a setting to manually choose a WIFI-channel? I found lots of hate about this topic, but I just wanted to know IF it will ever happen. I'm not asking WHEN. I'll be happy if I know it's coming ^^.

Thanks for the feedback!

Kind regards,
Dimson

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Is it smart to have your guest network on 2.4GHZ and your main network on 5.0 GHZ?-Solution
2020-07-17 09:51:55 - last edited 2020-07-17 09:52:01

@Dimson 

Hello, thanks for asking.

Theoretically, the Deco will select the best channel automatically to have good Wi-Fi performance and it is unable to change the Wi-Fi channel or channel width on the Deco manually. 

If you notice that your Deco Wi-Fi network is sharing a channel with several other networks, don’t worry. Crowded isn’t the same as busy, even though some channel scanning apps tell you one specific channel is bust, they don’t always measure other sources of congestion and interference. Non-Wi-Fi signals (like those from microwaves, Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, garage door openers, baby monitors, etc.) can all congest a channel but may not show up in a scan. So it’s possible that a channel can appear empty, while it is, in fact, saturated with other kinds of interference.

If your Deco Wi-Fi network is using a crowded channel but you aren’t experiencing slow speeds, don't worry. Your point is always scanning its environment to choose the channel that is most likely to give you the best Wi-Fi.

BTW, you may try to enable the 2.4G only for the guest network and enable 5G for the main to give it a go, then monitor the performance, which may be a good try.

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.  

Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Is it smart to have your guest network on 2.4GHZ and your main network on 5.0 GHZ?-Solution
2020-07-17 09:51:55 - last edited 2020-07-17 09:52:01

@Dimson 

Hello, thanks for asking.

Theoretically, the Deco will select the best channel automatically to have good Wi-Fi performance and it is unable to change the Wi-Fi channel or channel width on the Deco manually. 

If you notice that your Deco Wi-Fi network is sharing a channel with several other networks, don’t worry. Crowded isn’t the same as busy, even though some channel scanning apps tell you one specific channel is bust, they don’t always measure other sources of congestion and interference. Non-Wi-Fi signals (like those from microwaves, Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, garage door openers, baby monitors, etc.) can all congest a channel but may not show up in a scan. So it’s possible that a channel can appear empty, while it is, in fact, saturated with other kinds of interference.

If your Deco Wi-Fi network is using a crowded channel but you aren’t experiencing slow speeds, don't worry. Your point is always scanning its environment to choose the channel that is most likely to give you the best Wi-Fi.

BTW, you may try to enable the 2.4G only for the guest network and enable 5G for the main to give it a go, then monitor the performance, which may be a good try.

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.  

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 599

Replies: 1

Related Articles