Why should all Decos be connected to the main router?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-18 07:39:54 - last edited 2020-07-18 07:41:42
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4

I my home, there is one main router which connects to ISP via Fiber, and 2 switches.

I bought 3 Deco M9 and 1 Deco M5.

I noticed they can not work unless I connect all Decos directly to the main router.  The problem is there are only 4 ports in the main router. Now I have to use all of them for Decos, and connect all other devices,  including the IP TV, to Decos. I noticed there is significant bandwidth downgrading after them were connected to the deco v.s. connected to main router.

Anyone can share me the reason? My main router is HuaWei HG8244H.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Why should all Decos be connected to the main router?
2020-07-21 07:05:23

@walkinmud 

Hi,

With your computer connected to the Huawei HG8244H modem or the switch directly, please check whether you can access the internet and the IP address obtained. 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/838/

To do a comparison analysis, please connect one Deco M9 to the modem or the switch and connect your computer to that M9 and check this info as well. 

If this works fine, then refer to the below FAQ to add the other 3 Deco units into the network one by one:

Adding an additional unit to your TP-Link Deco network

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 685

Replies: 1

Related Articles