Deco M5 wifi channel change

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-20 23:41:12 - last edited 2020-07-21 03:43:39
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.4 Build 20200221 Rel. 65392

How can I change the wifi channel?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M5 wifi channel change-Solution
2020-07-21 03:43:05 - last edited 2020-07-21 03:43:39

@SusanaPB 

Hello, thanks for asking.

Currently, it's unable to change the channel on the Deco M5 as it will select the best channel automatically to have good Wi-Fi performance and it is unable to change the Wi-Fi channel or channel width on the Deco manually.

If you notice that your Deco Wi-Fi network is sharing a channel with several other networks, don’t worry. Crowded isn’t the same as busy, even though some channel scanning apps tell you one specific channel is bust, they don’t always measure other sources of congestion and interference. Non-Wi-Fi signals (like those from microwaves, Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, garage door openers, baby monitors, etc.) can all congest a channel but may not show up in a scan. So it’s possible that a channel can appear empty, while it is, in fact, saturated with other kinds of interference.

If your Deco Wi-Fi network is using a crowded channel but you aren’t experiencing slow speeds, don't worry. Your point is always scanning its environment to choose the channel that is most likely to give you the best Wi-Fi.

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.  

Recommended Solution
Options
42 Reply
Re:Deco M5 wifi channel change-Solution
2020-07-21 03:43:05 - last edited 2020-07-21 03:43:39

@SusanaPB 

Currently, it's unable to change the channel on the Deco M5 as it will select the best channel automatically to have good Wi-Fi performance and it is unable to change the Wi-Fi channel or channel width on the Deco manually.

If you notice that your Deco Wi-Fi network is sharing a channel with several other networks, don’t worry. Crowded isn’t the same as busy, even though some channel scanning apps tell you one specific channel is bust, they don’t always measure other sources of congestion and interference. Non-Wi-Fi signals (like those from microwaves, Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, garage door openers, baby monitors, etc.) can all congest a channel but may not show up in a scan. So it’s possible that a channel can appear empty, while it is, in fact, saturated with other kinds of interference.

If your Deco Wi-Fi network is using a crowded channel but you aren’t experiencing slow speeds, don't worry. Your point is always scanning its environment to choose the channel that is most likely to give you the best Wi-Fi.

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.  

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Deco M5 wifi channel change
2020-09-15 02:38:58

@Saurabh_S 

Hello, 

We have already responded to this kind of feedback several times that this has been forwarded as a feature request to the developers, they will publish new official firmware in the near future, which will optimize the current channeling picking mechanism, it is suggested to wait for the new updates and confirm if that will help address any of your concerns.

You may think choosing the wireless channel manually on a mesh system is easy, but it is not, which may give you the risk to lose the satellite Deco node when changing the channel manually and thus ruin your Deco WiFi system. All other mesh system doesn't allow users to change the channel manually, don't you think there is a reason? Do you think it is just our developers that meditate such a feature? We need to take this into serious consideration if we need or we can to do this change, which requires a lot of research in the market, I think an IT professionalist just like you should understand it.

Good days.

Options
2020-10-13 17:58:20

@SusanaPB 

HW Ver: 3/US

I have bought this in Bangladesh. I need the solution urgently, as my Android devices cannot see the 5 GHz network running on channel 40. I need to change it to Channel 149-165 range.

Thanks in advance.

Tanveer

Options
2020-10-14 08:18:10

@TP-Link_Deco 

I am agree with you, but also you need to thing TP Link mesh router must be choice best cannel for my device but its not do this but same time others company mesh router choice good channel for those device, which connected with there mesh router.

So, You told me its not easy and its may be make problem for connected with one device to another device but automatically TP Link mesh router not choice r8 cannel for my all device. We have 6 mobile in our home and every device have good 5 ghz capability, but TP Link Deco M5 not connected those device with 5 ghz its all time connected with 2.4 ghz and also here have issue. its connected with channel 6 and which one already use lot of around our home. So, what you said now Sir?

Tariqul I. Support Admin APT COM https://aptctg.com
Options
2020-10-14 11:24:01

@TanveerBD 

Currently, the Deco M5 5G only works on band 1 and it doesn't support band 4 (149-165) channels. I have sent you a PM, please check and confirm.

Good days~

Options
2020-10-29 22:35:55

@TP-Link_Deco 

My atag one thermostate only accepts wifi channel 1, 6, 11.. 

And my deco uses 9.. Results i cannot find my thermostat unit with my ipad or iphone.. 
I need to change the channels! 

And i know it's never gonna happen, you know why? Because you dont give a F. 
I made up my mind already, never buy any TP LINK related equipment every. This is garbage you sell.

utter garbage

Options
2020-10-30 05:37:07

@Tukker 

Hello, apologies that you are not satisfied with the current firmware, while we have already mentioned this that this manual channel selection request has been forwarded to our developers to evaluate, and we will release new firmware that support channel optimization feature, you may confirm then if that would help.

BTW, if your thermostat unit can connect to the Deco network, then we don't think it is an issue with the channel when you cannot find it on the iPad or iPhone. It is suggested to check some settings, such as the working mode of Deco, the thermostat unit is connected to 2.4GHz or not, then you can connect your iPad or iphone to the same band to give it a go.

Thanks.

Options
2020-11-05 12:42:24

Hey, all:

Just to note: the Deco's (probably as decided by the "Main" unit) may choose different channels after a reboot.

I just observed that.

Yes, it would be nice to have a selected set of channels for it to "initially choose from" for those cases where one has devices with restricted channels.  If the "signal environment" has changed significantly, one could try rebooting the mesh to see if it finds 'better' channels.

Options
2020-11-23 11:21:29

@Dan_C. as of firmware 1.5.1 there is a new option in the mobile app for 'Network optimization' that makes the decos move to a less saturated channel, I have tried this out and it indeed moved my channels, still cant choose a specific channel, but does seem to get around the reboot option that was a bit trial and error if we are being honest

BigE0n
Options
2020-11-28 12:27:39

@SusanaPB 

The first thing to say, that this latest software update 1.5.1 Build 20201022 works very well, in general everything has improved, highlight how now it identifies well all connected devices, that network optimization works very well when it is used, the connection speeds are good and I am delighted. I find a problem with two DAIKIN air conditioners, installed a short time ago and that I control with my smartphone over Wi-Fi, it turns out that the WLAN adapter they have does not support the use of Wi-Fi on channels 12 and 13 and only works on the frequency 2.4 Ghz. It turns out that with the new software, ´de the DECOS M5 touch the network optimization and it moved me in 2.4 Ghz from channel 8 to 13 which effectively totally unoccupied, but immediately I lost the connection with my two split DAIKIN with the smartphone. I have been able to make me change to another channel, I have restarted the DECOS but it does not change. With this problem I find out that there are quite a few devices in Europe that behave like my DAKINS, and that for example in the USA the 2.4 Ghz Wi-Fi frequency only goes from channels 1 to 11 .. My request is if it would not be possible in a new software update, for M5 that individually the user can cancel channels 12 and 13 of 2.4 Ghz if he considers it necessary. Thanks a lot.

Options

Information

Helpful: 7

Views: 27120

Replies: 42

Related Articles