Deco P7 Access Point mode does not work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-22 12:41:06
Model: Deco P7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.2 Build 20200408 Rel. 73944

I recently switched from my Internet Provider and since then my Deco P7 does not work as it should be.

My previous setup:

IP Modem/router is DHCP server, Wifi switched off. An ethernet cable is connected between the modem/router and the main Deco on the 1st floor.

The same for the Deco on the 2nd floor (Ethernet cable between Deco and Modem).

On the 3rd floor the Deco is connected via a powerline to the moden (so Modem -> cable to Powerline adapter next to modem -> Powerline adapter on 3rd floor has cable connected to Deco).

Deco is set in AP mode. This all worked very smooth. So my mobile devices are on the Wifi from the Deco, IP addresses handed out by modem.

On the 1st floor I have my TV-device from my IP connected via a cable to DECO.

On the 3rd floor, behind my DECO i have a switch connected via cable. From there my Playstation and PC are connected.

Since my new IP I have troubles.

Modem/Router from IP is still DHCP server, Wifi turned off. When I enable AP mode via the app, I am connected to Wifi but not to the internet. Also my TV signal fluctuates.

I now have my Deco's set as Router mode, problem is I cannot connect the other Deco's via cable with each other, only via Wifi. And that does give me a lot of speed drop.Via Powerline it's not that great but could get about 50 mbps. Now I only get 10 Mbps.

I tried connecting my 3rd floor Deco via the Powerline adapter (cable) but then I cannot connect to it (I won't get an IP address), the Deco is also out of range of the 2nd floor Deco. The light of the Deco is blinking red, then solid green for a minute or so, then blinking red again and so on.

Another issue is that my mobile devices are on a different IP-range than my cable-connected devices.

Am i missing a configuration setting?

Below my network overview how I would want it (and how it was before my IP change), where the deco's are sending a Wifi signal.

Now I only have the Main deco connected with a cable.

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco P7 Access Point mode does not work
2020-07-23 07:26:00

@gewoonmaikel 

Hello,

May I check more details with you?

1. Who was your ISP before and what was the model number of the old modem/router? What was the WAN connection type on the main Deco on the 1st floor?

2. Who is your current ISP now and what is the model number of the current modem/router? What is the WAN connection type on the main Deco on the 1st floor?

3. In your current network layout, what if you connect to the Wi-Fi of the 1st floor main Deco, will the internet work? How about the LEDs on it?

4. Is it possible to connect the Deco on the 2nd floor to the main Deco on the 1st floor directly instead of connecting to the modem/router?

Thanks a lot.

Options
2020-07-23 08:05:49

@TP-Link_Deco 

1. Who was your ISP before and what was the model number of the old modem/router? What was the WAN connection type on the main Deco on the 1st floor?

- My previous ISP was KPN (Dutch), the modem/router was an Experia Box V10 from ZTE (ZXHN H369A).

- I don't know exactly what you mean with WAN type connection? And how to check this? Do you mean Dynamic, as it was setup this way?

2. Who is your current ISP now and what is the model number of the current modem/router? What is the WAN connection type on the main Deco on the 1st floor?

- My current ISP is T-Mobile with a Zyxwl T-50 modem/router (VMG8825-T50).

- Again, don't know for sure the WAN connection type, when I check the advanced menu -> IPv4 it is set to Dynamic IP.

3. In your current network layout, what if you connect to the Wi-Fi of the 1st floor main Deco, will the internet work? How about the LEDs on it?

- My current layout: The main Deco on the 1st floor is directly connected to the modem via a cable. The deco is set to Router mode. I can connect my mobile to the wifi of the main Deco and I have connection to the internet. So I am on a different IP address than the modem (Modem has 192.168.1.xx and Deco has 192.168.68.xx so my mobile has an ip of 192.168.68.xx). when I set my Deco in AP mode, I can connect to the Deco, but I don't have internet connection.

- The led is green in Routermode, in AP mode it's blinking red, turning green for a short time, than blinking red again (and this process repeats itself).

4. Is it possible to connect the Deco on the 2nd floor to the main Deco on the 1st floor directly instead of connecting to the modem/router?

- Unfortunately this is not possible. As of now the Deco on the 2nd floor is connected to the main Deco via Wifi (same for Deco on 3rd floor which is connected to the 2nd floor). However this does give me a slight speed reduction.

- With my previous ISP the layout was as described in the picture, so all Deco's connected via Ethernet cable to the modem (3rd floor Deco had Powerline adapters between the modem and Deco).

Many thanks in advance for helping me :-)

Options
2020-07-23 09:39:39

@gewoonmaikel 

Hello, thanks for all the details.

When the main Deco is working as a router, the IP address on the devices connected to it will be in 192.168.68.x, which will be certainly different from that on the devices connected to the Zyxwl T-50 modem/router directly. Is this the reason why you need to configure the main Deco into an access point?

What if you change the Zyxwl T-50 modem/router into bridge mode and try to dial up on the main Deco? Please try to confirm with T-Mobile and check if we can do this.

As per your description, the 2nd and 3rd are connected wirelessly in the network now and it seems that the connection between the three Decos is not stable, please ensure the wireless signal on the two satellite Decos are good enough to build the wireless connection. If not, we need to relocate them and find a better signal, or we need to connect them with Ethernet cables.

Thanks again.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 605

Replies: 3

Related Articles