Deco M5 Speed Issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 Speed Issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco M5 Speed Issues
Deco M5 Speed Issues
2020-07-23 15:33:58 - last edited 2020-08-25 01:47:58
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.4 Build 20200221 Rel. 65392

NOTE: I don't know if that's the correct Hardware version

Recently, my Deco M5's (I've  3 set) have been giving me consistently slow speeds compared to what I used to get. I've a 500mb connection the test on the Deco confirms that, hard wired devies hit that. I used to be able to get 500mb on my wifi devices (Huawei Mate 20 Pro and PixelBook) but the last month or so, it's been somewhat capped to 300-350mbps. I've hard rest my ISP's modem, I've rebooted the entire Deco network and still the same thing. Consistently 300-360mbps. 

Any advise on what I can do??

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Deco M5 Speed Issues-Solution
2020-08-25 01:47:53 - last edited 2020-08-25 01:47:58

@TonyReilly 

Hello, apologies for the super late reply.

Please help verify more details and we will try to figure it out ASAP:

1. What is the current network topology/layout? Is the main Deco M5 working as a Router or AP?

2. With your computer connected to the modem directly, please verify the actual speed you can get via speedtest.net again. Also, please confirm the wired link speed as the instruction below:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/

Please then connect your computer to the main deco and test the speed you can get from it via speedtest.net as well and check the wired link speed.
Note: Please show us a screenshot of the speed test result.

Additionally, please refer to the below troubleshooting to check the QoS settings on the Deco app again:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2429/#case%201  (Case 1)

After that, please run the speed test again and check whether it improves.

Good days.

Recommended Solution
Options
14 Reply
Re:Deco M5 Speed Issues
2020-07-23 19:19:46

Just to follow up here... this is 100% an issue with the M5 Deco's. 

I've tested and tested and tested and I can't get any device to get a speed above 360mbps, when they all used to get the max speed of my connection (500mbps when connected to the main Deco unit in the same room). 

Can someon please advise what can be done to resolve this as I'm loosing a bunch of bandwidth for no reason.

Options
2020-08-20 10:22:57

@TP-Link_Deco Any upate here? I'm on 1.4.7 now and still no difference. My broadband just got upgarded to 1gig and I'm still stuck on the 360mb max wifi on my M5's! 

Options
2020-08-20 12:22:40

@TonyReilly Try these things:

- Turn off Anivirus

- Set the QoS throughput to max 1024 up/down. This will get you maximum throughput. Reboot the deco devices when you make this change as well. 

This brought my speed back to around 85% of the ISP download speed (450Mbps)

Options
2020-08-20 14:32:44

@pvdven Thanks.

Never had the Antivirus turned up.

Always had the QOS to the 500down 50up, but made the changes you suggested there and it's still the same.

It just seems odd that on 1.4.0 I was getting 500+mb when connected to main Deco, and now, consistently I'm only getting 360mb. 

I'm curious to see when I get my new modem and the 1gig connection will that increase, or will I still be locked to 360mb, cause if I am, I'll be returning these under EU rules that they are not fit for purpose and don't perform as advertised.

That or HOPEFULY @TP-Link_Deco might actually acknowledge there's an issue and inform us a fix is on the way within X time.

Options
2020-08-21 07:23:30

I'm on 1.2.4 (AP mode), wondering if it's 'safe' to upgrade to 1.4.7 now.

I only have a 100Mbps Internet connection.

Options
2020-08-21 08:11:45

@McFly If it was me, and things are working, I wouldn't upgrade. I'd love to downgrade if I could, but there doesn't seem to be any way to do that.

Options
Re:Deco M5 Speed Issues-Solution
2020-08-25 01:47:53 - last edited 2020-08-25 01:47:58

@TonyReilly 

Hello, apologies for the super late reply.

Please help verify more details and we will try to figure it out ASAP:

1. What is the current network topology/layout? Is the main Deco M5 working as a Router or AP?

2. With your computer connected to the modem directly, please verify the actual speed you can get via speedtest.net again. Also, please confirm the wired link speed as the instruction below:

Please then connect your computer to the main deco and test the speed you can get from it via speedtest.net as well and check the wired link speed.
Note: Please show us a screenshot of the speed test result.

Additionally, please refer to the below troubleshooting to check the QoS settings on the Deco app again:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2429/#case%201  (Case 1)

After that, please run the speed test again and check whether it improves.

Good days.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-08-25 07:59:04

Hi @TP-Link_Deco ,

Screen shots attached. 540mb was connected to my modem, the 510 was connected to the Deco. 

The speed test in the Deco app, registers between 490 and 500 consistently. 

Main Deco is directly connected to my modem and is in, I think router mode. 

The 320mb result is connected to the main deco, in the same room, approx 6 feet away. Anything before firmware 1.4.4. i was getting the 500+mb in the exact same spot and since 1.4.4, I might get 360mb, if I'm lucky. 

QoS has always been set to standard and I've removed the high priority devices as well and I've set the total bandwidth to be available to be 1024 up and down (I'm currently on a 500mb package, but I'm just waiting for my 1gig modem to arrive)

Oh and I've figured out that I'm on a V1 deco setup.

Please let me know what further details I can supply to try and resolve this.

Kind regards,

Tony

Options
2020-08-26 20:16:04

@TP-Link_Deco Just to confirm, I have upgraded my modem and broadband account to a 1gig and the max wifi speed I'm getting is 360mb. The speedtest in the Deco app is reporting 900mbps down, so the speed is there, but something in the last couple of firmware updates is killing the wifi speed.

Options
2020-08-27 08:10:22

@TonyReilly 

Hi, thanks for all the details.

Just follow up, what is the link speed on your computer or phone when you are testing the wireless speed which is no more than 360M down? Have you confirmed this on different wireless clients? Here is a guide to confirm the link speed:

Please clear the bandwidth on your QoS settings and leave it on auto, then reboot all the Deco devices to confirm again.

BTW, what is your detailed network layout? How are the modem, deco devices connected to each other? When you test the wireless speed by connecting the computer to the main Deco, leave the other Decos disconnected, then confirm again.

Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3408

Replies: 14

Related Articles