Deco P9

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco P9

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
Deco P9
Deco P9
2020-07-27 20:23:12
Model: Deco P9  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 Build 20200513 Rel. 52023

I have four P9 units. Two (kitchen, garage) are hooked up to ethernet, the other two (hall, bedroom) are via Wifi. I have the system set to Access Point so that my main router is handling DHCP duties. The main router's wifi is turned off. For the Deco P9s I have Fast Roaming and Beamforming turned on. 

Questions:

1) How can I tell if the powerline backhaul is working? I don't see any mention of this feature in the Android app. 

2) How can I change the Deco P9s' wifi channels for 2.4 and 5.0 ghz? I want to move them away from the neighbor's channels.

3) The bedroom P9 has a clear line of sight to the hall P9, 25 feet away. But the Android app shows the bedroom P9 is getting its Signal Source from the kitchen P9, which is about 35 feet away, and blocked by two external walls, one internal wall, and a kitchen full of appliance. I'm thinking that's why if I hold my phone next to the kitchen, garage or hall P9s, it gets 240 Mbps on Speedtest.net, but next to the bedroom P9 it only gets around 90 Mbps. Is there any way to force the bedroom P9 to get its Signal Source from the hall P9 instead?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco P9
2020-07-28 01:25:21

@Anthony2816 

Hello, I will answer your questions one by one:

1) How can I tell if the powerline backhaul is working? I don't see any mention of this feature in the Android app. 

A: Please ensure you are running the latest Deco app on the Android phone, click on the Network/global icon and you will see all four Deco P9s in the mesh network, click the specific one to check if the PLC backhaul is established.

2) How can I change the Deco P9s' wifi channels for 2.4 and 5.0 ghz? I want to move them away from the neighbor's channels.

A: Currently, it's unable to change the channel on the Deco devices as they will select the best channel automatically to have good Wi-Fi performance and it is unable to change the Wi-Fi channel or channel width on the Deco manually.

3) The bedroom P9 has a clear line of sight to the hall P9, 25 feet away. But the Android app shows the bedroom P9 is getting its Signal Source from the kitchen P9, which is about 35 feet away, and blocked by two external walls, one internal wall, and a kitchen full of appliance. I'm thinking that's why if I hold my phone next to the kitchen, garage or hall P9s, it gets 240 Mbps on Speedtest.net, but next to the bedroom P9 it only gets around 90 Mbps. Is there any way to force the bedroom P9 to get its Signal Source from the hall P9 instead?

A: Sorry that there is no option to force connect to a particular Deco yet. For the issue you reported, please log into the web UI of the Deco device by tplinkdeco.net and show us where is this bedroom Deco in the Deco map and we will check further:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2641/

May this helps.

Options
2020-07-28 01:41:51

@TP-Link_Deco 

Okay, for issue #1, I clicked on the icon, and it indeed shows all four P9s. But when I click on them individually, I don't see anything about PLC Backhaul. For example, the Bedroom one shows a picture of the P9, the name I've given it, the MAC, the IP, the down- and upload speeds, the Signal Source (Kitchen, via 2.4 & 5 GHz), and then a list of the connected clients.

File:
Screenshot_20200727-183750_Deco.jpgDownload
Options
2020-07-28 01:57:05

@TP-Link_Deco For issue #3, I can't connect to the P9s via web browser.

Using my ethernet-linked desktop computer, or my Wifi-linked laptop...and two different browsers, if I go to http://tplinkdeco.net/ I get:

This site can’t be reached

tplinkdeco.net’s server IP address could not be found.
Try running Windows Network Diagnostics.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

And if I go to 10.0.0.2 (through 10.0.0.5) I get:

This site can’t be reached

10.0.0.2 refused to connect.
Try:

Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1302