Deco X20 frequent loss of internet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco X20 frequent loss of internet connection

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
39 Reply
Re:Deco X20 frequent loss of internet connection
2021-02-22 15:56:09 - last edited 2021-02-22 15:57:47

@gumgum im getting intermittent connection problem, my skype call is not stable at all. below is screenshot of me pinging my gateway (deco the router).

​​​​​​​

when using deco app, i can see deco router is getting 500 mbps, but speedtest on my phone which is just 6-7 feet away, im getting 40-50 mbps (connected to wifi6). please do something about, i feel like this is totally unacceptable.

Options
2021-03-02 19:47:46

@gumgum

im having the same issue. I just set up this network last night with the three pack deco x20's and I've had several times the network just says "WiFi connection has been lost" on our iPhones!! I have a new Nighthawk cm1200 modem that I replaced about two weeks prior to installing deco's, on purpose so I could rule out an issue with modem stability first. We are on Cox Gigablast and have no issue if any item is hardwire connected to the tp-link 8 port switch that is connected to the main deco.

if this keeps happening I may have to return this because I need a stable up to date network for my kids distance learning and this should not be happening!

Options
2021-04-24 18:47:56

I have a similar issue - newer iPhones, with current IOS software, connect to a Version 1.0 Deco X20, have a consistent loss of throughput. The upstream providers modem is an Arris model CM3200A. I have disabled the Private Address feature on the iOS devices with no success. Deco is current, running on 1.5.0 Build 20210121 Rel. 54794.

Any insight is appreciated.

Options
2021-04-25 01:39:51

@ValuedCustomer 

Hi, were IOS devices the only devices that would drop the connection?

May I know the model number as well as the operating system on the iPhone?

Did any Deco turn red when the connection lost?

Please try to turn off the Mesh technology of the iPhones on the Deco APP to have a look;

Thank you.

Options
2021-04-25 02:06:46

@TP-Link 

IOS devices definitely show this trait more frequently.  The devices are : iPhone 12 Pro, IOS 14.4.2; iPhone 11, IOS 14.4.2;  iPad 7th generation, IOS 14.4.2

The other devices including IOT seem to be fine, but admittedly are not as often checked.

The Deco did not turn red.

I need to understand the impact(s) or turning off the meshing - WHICH IS WHY I BOUGHT THE X20 - as I do not want to give my wife another thing to complain about. If you have ever been with a woman for more than 5 minutes you understand my situation.

Options
2021-04-25 03:29:28

@ValuedCustomer 

Thank you for the information.

As for the Mesh technology, each mobile device has its own switch on the Deco APP and does not affect other devices connected to the Deco;

You could only do the test on one device just in case the device does not have good compatibility with the Mesh technology;

At the same time, please also try to do the IP address reservation on the Deco APP for all the IOS devices and check whether it would improve the stability; (Deco APP>More>Advanced>Address reservation)

At the same time, in case the issue continued, we would like to forward your case to the senior engineers for further help;

Could you please help me collect the following information:

1. How often did the IOS device drop the connection, and how did you restore the internet connection, disconnect and connect the Wi-Fi again, or it would come back automatically?
  2. Is your network diagram like ISP-- Arris model CM3200A—main Deco X20---<Wi-Fi Backhaul> the 2nd and 3rd Deco X20?
  3. Could you please log into the web UI http://tplinkdeco.net and help me save the system log?

Thank you.

Options
2021-04-26 01:24:38

@TP-Link 

I went to Deco APP>More>Advanced>Address reservation and selected the Apple devices, so far it does not seem to make a difference.

I could use some clarification on the reference from TP-Link that "(each mobile device has its own switch on the Deco APP and does not affect other devices connected to the Deco); You could only do the test on one device just in case the device does not have good compatibility with the Mesh technology - specifically, need TP-Link to explain the steps needed.

To TP-Link's questions:

1. How often did the IOS device drop the connection, and how did you restore the internet connection, disconnect and connect the Wi-Fi again, or it would come back automatically? Reply : it seems that 2-3 times per hour is a minimum, sometimes the performance is so bad that devices just stay on the AT&T mobility service, and it's much faster / better behaved.  Wired computers in the house do not have this issue.
  2. Is your network diagram like ISP-- Arris model CM3200A—main Deco X20---<Wi-Fi Backhaul> the 2nd and 3rd Deco X20?  Reply : Correct.  There is no other wifi extender for the same SSID.

From tplinkdeco.net: 

Performance

CPU Load

12%

Memory Usage

78%

Options
2021-04-26 03:06:11

@ValuedCustomer 

Hi, there is a new firmware that you could have a test, and please refer to your message box.

Thank you.

Options
2021-06-12 15:01:17

@gumgum 

I've come across the very same issue.  You cannot revert firmware, which I think is completely stupid, you can with traditional routers, so that didn't work for me either - failure messages.

My wifi has been stable for a week now.  I disabled guest network and 5GHz, only 2.4GHz operating. Anything on ethernet backhaul is stable as well.

Hope this helps in some way.

Options
2021-09-07 16:46:43

@TP-Link I still have routine connection drops -- every 2 minutes my connection to the x20 decos drops for 5 seconds before resuming. This makes videeo conferencing very hard. I don't have this problem when I replace the Deco with some older wifi router I have around the house. My decos all have the latest firmware 1.5.0 Build 20210121 Rel. 54794.

Options
Related Articles