Deco m9 periodically disconnects

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-29 11:05:47
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4

Hi

Hope one of you can solve an issue I have with the m9 

I have the system for more than 1 year and every month or so two of my decos (I have 4 decos) disconnect for no apparent reason. 

The fix I apply is cutting power and then restart again. The thing is it only happens to two of my decos. The other two are not affected 🤔 

Wifi signal is ok, but this should not be normal, right? 

Does anyone have any idea on what's wrong here? 

Thanks

Matt

Options
4 Reply
Re:Deco m9 periodically disconnects
2020-07-30 03:44:11

@Matt_d 

Hello,

As per your description, it seems that the main Deco is stable but the 2 satellite Decos are dropping, please help confirm the below and we will help fix it:

1. What is the network topology/network diagram? Is the main Deco working as a router? How do you connect these devices together? Please tell us the MAC address of the 2 satellite Deco units, how far between these 2 and the others?

2. How often do they drop the connection? What is the LED status on both of them? When they disconnect from the network, any notification on the Deco app? Like this Deco is offline? At that time, please connect your computer to it and click here to get the IP and gateway.

Meanwhile, try to exchange the locations between the two and verify whether it is the Deco itself or the network environment which affects the performance. 

3. Who is your ISP and what kind of modem are you using?

Any updates, please let me know.

Options
2020-07-30 06:59:15

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Let me try to answer your questions.

1) The main deco is working as a router, but is connected to the router of my ISP (where I switched off the router function). All the devices are connected through the Mesh

technology.

The space between the units are not too great. The main router and the unit in the bed room are ~6 meters apart. The unit on the 2nd floor is another 6 meters apart from the

unit in the bed room. 

The MAC address of the units are

a) Bed room  50-D4-F7-38-4B-E5  

b) 2nd floor 98-DA-C4-3A-1F-0B   

2. They drop off connection every 6 to 8 weeks or so. When they disconnect, the Deco app also tells me they are offline. If I then try to reboot them from the app it does not work.

I need to cut the power and boot them up manually, but then they do connect to the network again 

I'll try to switch locations next time it happens, as it is only the 2 units that are dropping. The other units donnot seem to be affected.

3. My ISP is a Dutch ISP, KPN. They provided a ZTE H368N modem.

Hope this additional information helps assess the issue.

Best regards

Matt

Options
2020-08-03 07:07:45

@Matt_d 

Hello, thanks for all the details.

As per your description, distance and interference may cause the two satellite units to drop, it is suggested to relocated the two units or swap with the other two and monitor first.

Thanks.

Options
2020-08-04 19:31:39
Thanks for the suggestion They dropped again, so I've now changed the units as per your description. Judging from the channel strength as displayed in the app I see two bars so that should be ok, right? Relocating the units is difficult as I then have to create new power sockets. I'm hoping to avoid that Best regards
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 737

Replies: 4

Related Articles