Varying internet speed through Deco system.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-30 15:14:28
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 1.1.4

Hi, I'm a newbie to the Deco system, but managed to set all three nodes up no problem.

Where I live I have a limited internet with only one option- Wireless system Domestic Broadband - 8Mbs Download/ 1 Mbs upload

This is generally sufficient. I set up my three pack of Deco M5 throughout my house.

Main Deco in living room connected to main internet cable ( a dual ethernet/ powered cable directly from the dish) and the two satellite Deco's -one in bedroom, one in office (in bungalow) - signal source - 2 bars on each.

All seemed to work fine - I could hook up to the internet throughout the house.

However, I noticed all three Deco's indicator lights intermittently going from green to red - for only a second or two - but constantly every 30 seconds or so. And the internet signal would drop out entirely for maybe 10 seconds - enough for my Google home mini to stop streaming music.

I looked through the forum and decided to test the internet by connecting it directly to a computer and doing a Speed Test to see what was coming into the house from my internet provider - the results were consistent enough Download 8Mbps / Upload -1Mbps. I repeated the test and it was pretty consistent. See two tests in a row:

But when I connected the internet cable back into the Main Deco, then using a second ethernet cable to the same computer the Speedtest via the Main Deco varied wildly. Sometimes the Download speed was correct, but moments later it could drop away completely and sometimes the upload would be fine but the download gone and vice versa.

I also did ethernet tests on the other two Deco's directly into the same computer

The Office one also jumped over the course of half an hour like this:

Download/ Upload

8.37/ 0.65

3.64/ 0.00

1.67/ 0.89

Bedroom:

7.40/1.36

3.14/0.00

6.49/1.03

So my problem is that the internet once it's going through the Deco system seems to keep jumping up and down and cutting in and out. Any suggestions welcome.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Varying internet speed through Deco system.
2020-08-03 10:59:25

@Mickomix 

Hello,

We will get some details to do further analysis and try to fix it. 

Is the main Deco working as a router or an Access Point? What kind of modem are you using, cable modem, or DSL modem? 

Please connect your smartphone to the Deco's wifi and login to the deco app; click the settings button and then choose advanced>>IPv4>>Internet connection type and uncheck obtain DNS automatically and change the primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and click save.

Additionally, please refer to the below troubleshooting to check the QoS settings on the Deco app again:

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/faq/2429/#case%201  (Case 1)

After that, please run the speed test again and check whether it works.

Have a great day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1088

Replies: 1

Related Articles