RE300 Obtaining IP Address

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-30 20:29:08
Model: RE300  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.5 Build 20191114 Rel. 34543

Hi, I've recently purchased one of these network extenders, but I've noticed that every so often all my devices will be thown off the network and then they will fail to get an IP address. I'm using a BT home hub as my main router and this to extend my network into my office. The extender has a great signal and all the lights on the front as lit up white. If I restart it it will work fine for a while and then same issue again. When it drops I have no way to access the UI to see what's happening so have to just reboot. Is there a fix for this?

Options
10 Reply
Re:RE300 Obtaining IP Address
2020-07-31 00:48:49 - last edited 2020-07-31 00:51:24

@Dunjamon 

Hi, sorry to hear that you have trouble with the extender. For your issue, we would like to confirm the below information first:

1. May I know if the extender and main router have the same Wi-Fi name or different one?
If it is the same one, It is suggested that you can change a different Wi-Fi name for the extender.

2. Can you check if the main router can provide stable connection for your wireless clients? 

3. Since the extender is dual band product, may I know if the issue happens both on 2.4GHz and 5GHz band? How about the frequency of the issue?

4. May I know the distance between the router and the extender? Did you put RE in very close to router (within)and check stability?

5. Can you send us a photo of the IP address on computer/ wireless clients: https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/838/

6. May I know when and where you bought the extender? Does it work well before? When did the issue begin?

Look forward to your reply.

Good day.

Options
2020-07-31 07:33:49

Hi @Solla-topee, see below the info requested. Thanks

1. They did have the same name, but then I noticed this issue so I reset everything and they have different names now

2. My main router has a stable connection to everything and I've never had any issues with it

3. Issue occurs on both bands. I've given them different names and tried each one individually

4. The distance between them is about 5 meters or so. I had them next to each other for the setup, but didn't leave them like that for long. I wouldn't have expected that to make any difference however

5. Here is a screenshot of my phone connected to the extender

6. I only bought the extender on Monday from Amazon. The issue has been there ever since

Options
2020-08-13 09:43:49

@Dunjamon 

Good day,

For your case, we will follow your case by email and please check your email box later.

By the way, may I know the model number of your BT router?

How about the dropping frequency?

How many devices are connected to the RE300 and what are they?

Thank you~

Options
2020-08-13 10:18:21

@Solla-topee 

Hi, I have a BT Hub 6A. At the moment it's a couple of times a day. I've setup a schedule to reboot the extender overnight as this seem to allow me to connect in the morning before work. I only have 1 device connected to the extender, that is my work laptop.

Options
2020-08-18 06:20:24

@Dunjamon 

Hi!

We have already forward your case to our senior engineers and please have a check of your email box.

Hope they would help you fix the issue.

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-08-25 08:41:59

@Dunjamon I am having this same issue, only the connection drops every 5/15 minute. it make the extender unuseable which is a shame. Is there a fix to this? It seems like it started onve I updated the firmware to the latest version 1.0.5 Build 20191114 - but I am not entirely sure though. I have also had issues maintaining the 5Ghz conenction between the RE300 and the main router. Distance is around 7 meter and signal is strong. Main router is SAGEM FAST3890V3 firmware version: sw05.76.9.7u-1. HW version 3.0

Any advice_

?

Options
2020-08-25 10:04:26

@jbarreth your issue sounds a little more extreme than mine. The only thing I could do to get it to work properly was to add in a scheduled reboot overnight. I only use the extender with my laptop so set it to power off overnight and then back on just before I start work. Seems to be ok for me for now. 

Options
2021-06-13 20:11:24

@Solla-topee 

Can u pls help me i have been having the same problem it works fine for some time and then I start having issued with it again I have to reset it I have tried rebooting but it didnt work 

Options
2021-06-16 12:06:18

@AnshJain Hello, 

Please check my reply for your new thread :

' Please confirm your RE300 is on the latest firmware which is 2021 firmware for (EU) V1 (select hardware first and check corresponding firmware): 

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/re300/v1/#Firmware

When devices could not obtain IP address, how about the LED status on your RE300, are 2.4Ghz/ 5Ghz Led  ON or OFF when issue happens? '

Options
2021-06-16 12:20:53
I ended up getting a different one which looks to be working a lot better.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1113

Replies: 10

Related Articles