Just returned my M5 deco for a refund

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-07-31 18:11:11 - last edited 2023-06-28 05:54:24
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

This is just some feedback / warning to others, i had my deco a whole of 60min before i requested a return from amazon. Note easily 90% of the networking equipment in my house is TP Link.

Setup and Installation was NOT easier with an app.

1. Had to download the app wouldnt download on my android phone for some reason so ended up downloading on my work iPhone.

2. Had to create a tp link account in order to use the app. WHY???

3. Had to have a working internet connection in order to setup my wifi??

4. I couldnt use the SSID i wanted as there was another SSID in the area with the same name.. I KNOW, I WANTED to use the same SSID so all my devices would reconnect to the new AP when i turned the old one off.

Managing is NOT easier with app.

5. Have to have a working internet connection in order to manage my wifi (because i need to log into the app). again why? maybe i want these for a non internet capable network of IOT devices.

6. Options for managing the decos in the app were so limiting, i mean it wasnt even obvious how to get the ip of the deco unit from the app. Especially when you compare it to something like the TP Link Archer C9.

honestly i am hugely disappointed in these, and up until now i have never hesitated to recommend TP Link products such as routers or dongles as they are excellent value for money. I was actually intending to recommend them to a friend as soon as mine were setup.

If you really really want to fix this:

1. Dont build native apps for management build it in HTML5 and have it hosted on the device OR just have the app scan for the devices SSID and connect then hand over to the HTML5 app

2. I dont need nor want a tp link account to mange my private home network so lets just get rid of this requirement.

3. if you are going to insist on native apps for setup fine, but dont require a web account and ensure you have the webapp available for day to day management. Sure make it mobile friendly but also make it PC friendly.

I'm now off to find something to replace my current APs with that does not cause me physical pain to setup.

Regards,

Ryan

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Just returned my M5 deco for a refund-Solution
2020-08-03 11:45:57 - last edited 2023-06-28 11:13:58

@Ryanm101 

Hello,

Sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with the Deco working mechanism, which I want to explain a little bit and may help you or others to understand it better:

1. In order to install a Deco mesh system in your network, it is basically requiring to create a TP-Link ID or account, which is used for managing the Deco system remotely or allowing Deco device to work with third-party integration such as Amazon Alexa.

2. Deco app is compatible with both Android phones and iOS, and it requires Android 5.0 or higher version, iOS 11.0 or higher OS version. The Deco app allows you to quickly and easily install and manage your Deco Whole-Home Wi-Fi System.

3. When login to the Deco app on your phone, there is a requirement for internet access as you mentioned, as it needs to connect to the TP-Link cloud server to register and synchronize. However, you can still link the Deco device to your account with internet access, but ensure there is a cable plugged into one of the Ethernet ports on the Deco (you can connect to any device such as a computer or an AP without internet access), otherwise, you will fail to go through the whole setup process.

4. Basically, we don't suggest you create the same SSID on the Deco mesh system as well as on your existing non-mesh network, as it will cause issues when creating the Deco mesh network and will cause issues when devices are roaming or connecting to the network.

5. Some features or functions might be limited on the Deco app, but we are updating and releasing new Deco app as well as new firmware for the Deco mesh system, which will enrich all the functionality, we hope you are more patient with it.

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Just returned my M5 deco for a refund-Solution
2020-08-03 11:45:57 - last edited 2023-06-28 11:13:58

@Ryanm101 

Hello,

Sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with the Deco working mechanism, which I want to explain a little bit and may help you or others to understand it better:

1. In order to install a Deco mesh system in your network, it is basically requiring to create a TP-Link ID or account, which is used for managing the Deco system remotely or allowing Deco device to work with third-party integration such as Amazon Alexa.

2. Deco app is compatible with both Android phones and iOS, and it requires Android 5.0 or higher version, iOS 11.0 or higher OS version. The Deco app allows you to quickly and easily install and manage your Deco Whole-Home Wi-Fi System.

3. When login to the Deco app on your phone, there is a requirement for internet access as you mentioned, as it needs to connect to the TP-Link cloud server to register and synchronize. However, you can still link the Deco device to your account with internet access, but ensure there is a cable plugged into one of the Ethernet ports on the Deco (you can connect to any device such as a computer or an AP without internet access), otherwise, you will fail to go through the whole setup process.

4. Basically, we don't suggest you create the same SSID on the Deco mesh system as well as on your existing non-mesh network, as it will cause issues when creating the Deco mesh network and will cause issues when devices are roaming or connecting to the network.

5. Some features or functions might be limited on the Deco app, but we are updating and releasing new Deco app as well as new firmware for the Deco mesh system, which will enrich all the functionality, we hope you are more patient with it.

Hopefully, that answers your question but let us know if you need more details.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Just returned my M5 deco for a refund
2020-08-03 12:05:56 - last edited 2020-08-03 12:06:30

@TP-Link_Deco 

To take each of your points:

1. I dont need to manage a home network remotely, I need to be able to manage it regardless of internet connectivity. In fact i would say 90% of non technical users would set it up and never manage it again. Those of use that 'manage' our own home networks need to be able to do it easily and from any device at a time of our choosing.

2. Yes the app was very quick to setup the network but it was also restricitive as it had very few configuration options. It also requires a 'version' of android / iOS thereby immediately causing issues for people that dont really use their phone much and maybe have older phones. A web based solution which has been the staple for configuration of routers is accessible to all devices and other than a browser dosent have any real minimum requirements.

3. Not really sure what you are saying here. My point is what if i wanted to setup an air gapped network NOT connected to the internet for say home IoT devices? I cannot use the decos as they wont work. Or what if i was setting this up while awaiting for an internet connection / my internet was down?

4. I get this BUT i have a lot of devices, i wanted the networks to run in parallel in order for me to turn off the old one and the devices would then auto connect to the new one as long as it has the same ssid, no break in the kids netflix experience for example, this isnt insurmountable it's just needless extra steps.

5. I'd have said non-existant, i gave this an extra try simply as the most recent firmware came with a web interface, but it was beyond useless.

The only reason to force me to create an online external account to manage my home network that i can see is to either gather metrics on my useage and somehow make money from selling that data or to send me spam. Personally I'm not a fan of having to create online accounts with companies to manage my home gear because look at sonos bricking old hardware or look at the companies that go out of business and then the users cant use the things they have bought becase the online authentication servers are offline.

Also tell me this, if TP Link servers went offline due to error / failed upgrade or what ever how am I meant to manage my home network?

Effectively this online dependancy has now created 2 more points of failure (general internet connectivity and TP Link login servers) that would prevent me managing my home network though no fault of my own.

Regards,

Ryan

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 788

Replies: 2