Deco M5 network causes 3rd party apps to be 'unable to connect to network'

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-05 05:39:29 - last edited 2020-08-05 05:41:13
Model: Deco M5  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: Latest

Hi there, i'm having a problem with wifi controls in the Deco app and the impact this has on 3rd party apps on iPads. (For reference i'm on latest software/firmware versions of both App and Hardware).

I'm using the parental controls within the Deco app to turn on / off wifi access to my son's iPad Air to manage his usage. When i do this, and switch wifi back on, the iPad connects to the network fine, but then only native apps (like Safari, App store etc) work without issue. All 3rd party apps declare themselves as 'unable to connect to internet' (Spotify, Netflix, games like Roblox and Clash of Clans etc).

I initially raised this with Apple as i thought it was a software error in iOS. They advised me to factory reset the device (thanks Apple) but this made no difference. This issue persisted. They then handballed me to TP Link saying the issue is in the way the Deco App manages Wifi access. 

After several hours of playing around with settings on the iPad, resetting the iPad, fiddling with the Deco App etc, i finally found a way to get round this:

1. In the iPad, disconnect from the Deco Wifi and 'Forget this network'

2. Blacklist the iPad within the Deco App.

3. Delete the iPad from the Deco App.

4. Reboot the iPad.

5. Create a completely new connection to the Deco network. 

Question: Is this a bug in the Deco app or network? Is there a way to get round it or fix it so i can control my son's device at a network level without having to go through all the above?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Deco M5 network causes 3rd party apps to be 'unable to connect to network'
2020-08-11 09:55:50 - last edited 2020-08-11 09:59:19

@Ash223 

Hello,

Can I have the screenshot of the Parental Control setting on your Deco app? Please try to disable the Parental Control first and confirm again if those apps can connect to the internet.

BTW, what's the OS version of the iPad? Is it iOS14 beta?

Thanks.

Options
2020-08-12 04:51:46

@TP-Link_Deco Hi thanks for coming back to me. iOS is version 13.6 (latest update). 

My son's profile that I've created in the Deco app is here - just the one device attached (his iPad). Hitting 'pause' is the cause of Apps to stop working:

Options
2020-08-12 08:45:23

@Ash223 

Sorry, can you please send the screenshots again as the files cannot be open? Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 942

Replies: 3

Related Articles