Archer C6 - WIFI (2.4G and 5G) suddenly turning off and no way of turning on except via power cycle)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Archer C6 - WIFI (2.4G and 5G) suddenly turning off and no way of turning on except via power cycle)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-06 03:10:36 - last edited 2020-08-07 07:34:18
Model: Archer C6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.5 Build 20200630 rel.57406(4555)

Hi Everyone,

Asking for your assistance or comments if anybody of you encountered this problem already and if there is a solution.

Sorry a bit long and details but just want to make sure that I dont leave anything out.

• Archer C6 bought last March 2019. Since then till 2 days ago everything worked ok.
  • Problem started 2 days ago wherein wifi (|both 2.4g and 5g) just suddenly turns off.
    • Wifi LED on router face is off.
    • Inside the router - status page, Both 2.4G and 5G wireless radio says "Off"
    • Inside the router - wireless - wireless settings page, In both 2.4G and 5G tabs, the "Enable Wireless Radio" button is checked but grayed out. All succeeding fields in that area is also grayed out.
  • I am sure that the Archer C6 is not broadcasting any Wifi Signal since all Wifi Devices in the immediate vicinity cannot see my SSID and has no network connection.
  • Wired connections are not affect since all wired devices has continous LAN and WAN connections.
  • Sometimes, by doing a power cycle it re-enables the radios but a lot of times it does not help.
  • There was also an instance wherein i got fed up with the power cycle that I just left it with no wifi and just continued using my wired devices, only to find out 4 hours later that the radios re-enabled by themselves but turn off again sometime after. Noticed this because all of my wireless devices just received viber messages that was sent earlier.
  • Thought this was a firmware issue, I updated to the latest firmware as suggested by the router setup page (router page - system tools - firmware upgrade). Was able to install the latest firmware but this did not fix the issue.
  • Next I did was to bring back the device to factory defaults - still did not solve the problem.
  • Last I did before writing this, with factory default settings - i made the router a stand alone device (no WAN or WIFI devices connected to it) just the power adapter and 1 Windows 10 PC connected by LAN. Using the LED lights on top of the router and the router setup page, I observed the behaviour of the radio's. --> Still off and fields are grayed out.

Any troubleshooting steps that you can suggest to fix this issue or is time to buy a different router.

Thanks.

Arthur.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Archer C6 - WIFI (2.4G and 5G) suddenly turning off and no way of turning on except via power cycle)-Solution
2020-08-07 07:33:37 - last edited 2021-08-18 06:45:12

Hello,

Do you still use the original power adapter? Was there any power cut or bad weather before it starts to behave like this? 

Try one more time to hard reset it by holding the reset button or hole for 10s and reconfigure it from scratch. 

If there is no request for Onemesh, you can try to disable it on the Archer C6 as per this thread, then monitor the connectivity:

[Solution] Disable Onemesh Hidden network

If nothing can make it work correctly, you may need to contact the local tech support to check the warranty cause the device seems faulty:
https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/contact-technical-support/#Hotline-Support 

Good day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Archer C6 - WIFI (2.4G and 5G) suddenly turning off and no way of turning on except via power cycle)-Solution
2020-08-08 02:51:46 - last edited 2020-08-10 07:28:00

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin_Z,

1. Do you still use the original power adapter? Was there any power cut or bad weather before it starts to behave like this?

--> Yes I still have the original power adapter and still currently using it. No power outage prior to the problem happening and ever since I purchased the router, it was always protected  by a UPS.

2. Hard reset via the physical reset button

--> yes, done that one as well. brought me back to the factory default settings, but radio was still acting up.

3. Installing the Beta Firmware

--> thank you for sending me this, but was not able to try it out already since I've installed OpenWRT already

4. warranty

--> definitely out of warrant based on local guidelines. might as well play with the firmware thus I installed openwrt. incase this does not solve the problem then I will still end up buying a new one.

Update.

No need to go out and buy a new router because after installing the 3rd party firmware on the Archer C6, no more radio problems, radios are now running smoothly. Based from my experience this is not a hardware issue and is definitely a firmware issue. I think if this is a hardware issue, regardless of what firmware you use (either TP Link original or 3rd party) the radios will still have problems. But in this case, after installing a 3rd party firmware, radios went back to normal.

Thanks.

Arthur.

Recommended Solution
Options
9 Reply
2020-08-07 07:33:37 - last edited 2021-08-18 06:45:12

Hello,

Do you still use the original power adapter? Was there any power cut or bad weather before it starts to behave like this? 

Try one more time to hard reset it by holding the reset button or hole for 10s and reconfigure it from scratch. 

If there is no request for Onemesh, you can try to disable it on the Archer C6 as per this thread, then monitor the connectivity:

If nothing can make it work correctly, you may need to contact the local tech support to check the warranty cause the device seems faulty:

Good day. 

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Archer C6 - WIFI (2.4G and 5G) suddenly turning off and no way of turning on except via power cycle)
2020-08-08 02:32:50
Tried to use the beta firmware and it doesnt want to update.
Options
2020-08-08 02:51:46 - last edited 2020-08-10 07:28:00

@Kevin_Z 

Hi Kevin_Z,

1. Do you still use the original power adapter? Was there any power cut or bad weather before it starts to behave like this?

--> Yes I still have the original power adapter and still currently using it. No power outage prior to the problem happening and ever since I purchased the router, it was always protected  by a UPS.

2. Hard reset via the physical reset button

--> yes, done that one as well. brought me back to the factory default settings, but radio was still acting up.

3. Installing the Beta Firmware

--> thank you for sending me this, but was not able to try it out already since I've installed OpenWRT already

4. warranty

--> definitely out of warrant based on local guidelines. might as well play with the firmware thus I installed openwrt. incase this does not solve the problem then I will still end up buying a new one.

Update.

No need to go out and buy a new router because after installing the 3rd party firmware on the Archer C6, no more radio problems, radios are now running smoothly. Based from my experience this is not a hardware issue and is definitely a firmware issue. I think if this is a hardware issue, regardless of what firmware you use (either TP Link original or 3rd party) the radios will still have problems. But in this case, after installing a 3rd party firmware, radios went back to normal.

Thanks.

Arthur.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Archer C6 - WIFI (2.4G and 5G) suddenly turning off and no way of turning on except via power cycle)
2020-08-10 07:29:08

@ArthurP 

Hi, thanks for the update and glad to hear that the issue is resolved by upgrading to the OpenWRT firmware, we will forward this case to the developer and ask them to investigate.

Good day.

Options
2021-08-17 19:27:30

@Kevin_Z 

Also share for the Archer c6 (US)

Kevin_Z wrote

@ArthurP 

Hello,

Below is a beta firmware for the C6EU version, you may give it a go and see if it helps:

https://static.tp-link.com/2020/202007/20200723/ArcherC6v2_eu-up-ver1-3-7-P1%5b20200723-rel33309%5d.zip

Good day. 

Options
2021-08-18 06:42:43

@Subho440 

You are suggested to update to the latest official firmware from the local official website:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/download/archer-c6/v2/#Firmware

If there is still an issue, please describe the issue in detail then we can suggest.

Options
2021-08-18 10:16:30

@Kevin_Z 

It turnsoff automatically 

After 2- 3 hours

Options
2021-08-20 02:00:45

@Kevin_Z 

Thank you for the reply.

Sorry to say that I've shelved the ARcher C6 router a long time ago.

As far as I can remember,

• I've used the original power adapter and there was no adverse weather during that time.
  • I've also tried to re-flash the router with a third party firmware and it worked perfectly for a few more months. The only reason why I've decided to shelve it is because I was able to acquire a better type of router.

Kevin_Z wrote

Hello,

Good day. 

Options
2021-08-20 03:25:16

@ArthurP 

Thank you very much for updating the status, and it's glad to know you find a better solution.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3631

Replies: 9