Frustrated with dead spots despite so many Deco devices

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-09 17:51:29
Model: Deco P7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I had 3 P7s connected to my router. But had dead spots. So I bought 3 M5 devices and hooked them up to the existing set up.

Still have dead spots in the areas I was trying to fix (the 4 bedrooms at the cornors of the house) and the basement. My house is 5,000 sq. ft plus 2,000 sq ft basement.

Have 2 devices on the main floor ( one P7 is the main device connected to the router, 1 device is in the hallway). There are 3 devices on the 2nd floor (for the 4 bedrooms) and 1 device is in the basement.

Am really fed up as I cannot figure out what more I can do.

All help will be very welcome.

Harry_Sohal

Options
6 Reply
Re:Frustrated with dead spots despite so many Deco devices
2020-08-11 02:17:17

@Harry_Sohal 

Hello,

Is it possible to get a layout of your house? How are the Deco units placed? Then we will check how to help you relocate the devices.

Thanks.

Options
2020-08-11 17:39:11 - last edited 2020-08-11 17:39:49

Thank you for your response.

Please find attached a layout of the house (as best as I could do). 

Look forward to your solution.

Thanks
Harry

File:
Layout.pdfDownload
Options
2020-08-21 16:30:03

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hi,

I replied to you a couple of weeks ago but you have not responded. I have attached the layout of my house in my previous reply.

Response please.

Harry

TP-Link_Deco wrote

@Harry_Sohal 

Hello,

Is it possible to get a layout of your house? How are the Deco units placed? Then we will check how to help you relocate the devices.

Thanks.

Options
2020-08-25 09:53:07 - last edited 2020-08-25 09:54:15

@Harry_Sohal 

Hi Harry, sorry to respond late.

As per your house layout, the signal strength should be good on the 2nd floor as there are already 3 Deco units.

Can you please verify again what do you mean by dead spots, do you mean the speed in these rooms is not good? Thanks again.

BTW, how are the Deco units connected in your network, via cable or wifi? Is the main Deco working as an access point or router?

Options
2020-08-25 13:03:12

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hi,

By dead spots I mean that either the internet speed is very slow. So for example on the 2nd floor, in 3 bedrooms we are not able to watch any video and even access websites do do work like kids trying to join their class using Zoom for example.

On the main floor, I am not able to join a web meeting a lot of the times from the dining room. I get a message telling me that my internet connection is weak. Same with the living room. Please refer to my layout I sent to see what I mean.

My  main deco is joined to the internet router using a cable the rest are connected wirelessly.

It was set as in ,router, mode initially, then I was advised to change it to the 'access point' mode and is currently set up as in 'access point' mode.

Is it possible that the devices are defective or are having range issues? How does one check for that?

Thanks
Harry

Options
2020-08-27 08:55:38

@Harry_Sohal 

Hi Harry, thanks a lot again for all the detailed info.

As per your description, can I say some video applications cannot load successfully but normal web browsing should be ok, right?

Firstly, please ensure all the Deco P7s are plugged into the wall socket in order to build up a stable PLC backhaul connection, unplug the 3 Deco M5s temporarily, then confirm the wired speed by connecting a laptop to the P7 in this room with an Ethernet cable. BTW, what is the network bandwidth you paid for your internet? How about the speedtest on the main floor by connecting a computer to the main P7 directly (unplug the 2nd P7 on the main floor), is it normal or acceptable?

If the wired speedtest is not good, please confirm the speed by connecting the computer directly to your modem/router. Please be aware that the Deco mesh will only extend your wireless range but not increase the internet speed.

Thanks a lot and let me know if there is an update.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1164

Replies: 6