2 M4 units and 3 M3W Mesh repeaters

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-09 22:43:26 - last edited 2020-08-10 09:48:22
Model: Deco M4  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Our house is 2 stories, and difficult for wifi

My fibre is 300Mb

I installed

1 Deco M4 as main wifi router, conected to the modem switch

3 Deco M3W repeaters

Close to the first M4 router wifi speed is 300Mb.

Speed goes down considerably to 100MB, or less, on the repeaters.

I installed a second wired Deco M4 at house´s second floor, however, wifi speed close to the second M4, instead of increasing, goes down to 50Mb.

What is wrong ?

Thank you for your help.

Michel

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:2 M4 units and 3 M3W Mesh repeaters-Solution
2020-08-10 09:48:01 - last edited 2020-08-10 09:48:22

@MichelBrazil 

Hello,

Please verify some basic information and we can try to fix it:

1. Is the main Deco M4 working as a Router or an Access Point? What is the detailed network topology, is there a switch between the main Deco M4 and the modem? 
2. Try to connect your computer to the 2nd Deco M4 by an ethernet cable, then run a speedtest to test the wired connection.
3. Relocate the 2nd Deco M4 and move it closer to the main Deco, then test the speed via speedtest again.

4. How about the wireless link speed on that computer or phone when connected to the 2nd Deco M4 on the 2nd floor? Please confirm it as below:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/

If the wireless link speed is slow, try with another wireless device and confirm again, tell me the model number of the wireless adapters.

5. Try to move the 2nd Deco M4 closer to the main Deco and ensure there are no/fewer obstacles between them. If it doesn’t make sense, reboot all the Deco units for a try.

Good day.

Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:2 M4 units and 3 M3W Mesh repeaters-Solution
2020-08-10 09:48:01 - last edited 2020-08-10 09:48:22

@MichelBrazil 

Hello,

1. Is the main Deco M4 working as a Router or an Access Point? What is the detailed network topology, is there a switch between the main Deco M4 and the modem? 
2. Try to connect your computer to the 2nd Deco M4 by an ethernet cable, then run a speedtest to test the wired connection.
3. Relocate the 2nd Deco M4 and move it closer to the main Deco, then test the speed via speedtest again.

4. How about the wireless link speed on that computer or phone when connected to the 2nd Deco M4 on the 2nd floor? Please confirm it as below:

If the wireless link speed is slow, try with another wireless device and confirm again, tell me the model number of the wireless adapters.

5. Try to move the 2nd Deco M4 closer to the main Deco and ensure there are no/fewer obstacles between them. If it doesn’t make sense, reboot all the Deco units for a try.

Good day.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:2 M4 units and 3 M3W Mesh repeaters
2020-08-11 22:14:36

Good evening...

1.- Main Deco M4 is LAN wired to a modem with 4 giga LAN ports. So I would say that it is working as Access Point.

2.- 2nd M4 is wired to a switch.

Computer wired to same Switch - 338 Mb download

Computer wired to 2nd M4, wired to same Switch - Only 66 Mb download

Michel

TP-Link_Deco wrote

@MichelBrazil 

Hello,

Good day.

@TP-Link_Deco 

Options
2020-08-12 07:34:23

@MichelBrazil 

Hello, thanks for the details.

May I know the model number of the switch? Is it possible to connect the 2nd Deco M4 to the Ethernet connection on the 2nd floor directly for a check? Meanwhile, please unplug the other three Deco M3Ws first.

May I confirm again if your network topology is as below?

ISP modem router----Main Deco M4 (AP mode): computer will get about 300M
                             \----switch----PC: 338M
                                             \--2nd floor Deco M4----PC: 66M

The other three M3Ws are wirelessly connected to the network.

Thanks.

Options
2020-08-14 16:13:57

@TP-Link_Deco 

TP-Link_Deco wrote

@MichelBrazil 

Hello, thanks for the details.

May I know the model number of the switch? Is it possible to connect the 2nd Deco M4 to the Ethernet connection on the 2nd floor directly for a check? Meanwhile, please unplug the other three Deco M3Ws first.

May I confirm again if your network topology is as below?

ISP modem router----Main Deco M4 (AP mode): computer will get about 300M
                             \----switch----PC: 338M
                                             \--2nd floor Deco M4----PC: 66M

The other three M3Ws are wirelessly connected to the network.

Thanks.

I already connected the 2nd Deco M4 direct from main router, bypassing the switch, and no changes. So the switch is not affecting it.

The topology you drawed is correct.

I will retry again with all three Deco M3Ws unpluged.

Options
2020-08-15 12:29:31

@MichelBrazil 

I unplugged all M3W repeaters. And no change on 2nd M4 speed. Still below 66Mb.

I turned off also main Deco M4, and found out that the 2nd M4 went offline, even if wired.

So, 2nd M4 is getting it´s signal (weak without the repeaters) from main M4, and not from the wire.

So my question is if it is possible to have 2 wired M4 on same network...

Options
2020-08-17 12:23:00

@MichelBrazil 

Hello,

It is OK to have the wired connection between the two Deco M4s in the same network, which should not be the cause of the slow speed issue.

Can you please confirm again what is the link speed when your laptop or phone is connected to the 2nd Deco M4, ensure the other M3Ws are unplugged?

We will send you an email to follow up this issue, please check your email box and respond, thanks.

Options
2020-08-17 12:35:41

TP-Link_Deco wrote

@MichelBrazil 

Hello,

It is OK to have the wired connection between the two Deco M4s in the same network, which should not be the cause of the slow speed issue.

Can you please confirm again what is the link speed when your laptop or phone is connected to the 2nd Deco M4, ensure the other M3Ws are unplugged?

We will send you an email to follow up this issue, please check your email box and respond, thanks.

@TP-Link_Deco 

Speed from 2nd Deco M4 with all M3Ws unplugged still around the same 60 Mb.

Options
2020-08-18 01:17:08

@MichelBrazil 

Hello,

Our engineer has emailed you, if you are willing to do further analysis, please check your inbox and respond.    

Thanks for your cooperation and support. Good day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 770

Replies: 8