TD-W8960N: Hotel owner has problem re MAC filtering

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-02-05 03:13:08
Region : Ireland

Model : TD-W8960N

Hardware Version : V4

Firmware Version : TD-W8960N

ISP : Vodafone Ireland

Hi all,

I am having a rather annoying problem. I run a small hotel (just 3 floors) and my modem gives a strong enough signal to provide wireless access to everybody in the house however I'm finding that a lot of people, whilst they can connect to the modem, cannot browse online. Connection just times out when they open their browsers.

Recently a guest gave me his laptop and asked me if I could do anything with it. I'm by no means an expert when it comes to this kind of thing so I chanced my arm by putting his MAC address into the CP's Wireless/MAC Filter page. He connected immediately and was able to go online much to my relief.

Thing is, I don't want to have to do this for every guest that comes through my door! Is there any way everybody who has a laptop can connect without me manually entering their MAC addresses?

MAC restrict mode is set to 'disabled' but I thought that would allow everybody unrestricted access?

Can someone help me out? I'm really confused.
Options
2 Reply
Re:TD-W8960N: Hotel owner has problem re MAC filtering
2013-02-05 05:16:22
Maybe typical hotspot? Will it be good idea?
Options
Re:TD-W8960N: Hotel owner has problem re MAC filtering
2013-02-07 09:54:11
you mean some one can break the wireless encryption of the TD-W8960N and access to it by wireless??
or you never encrypt your wireless network? if you use WPA2-PSK as the encryption mode,then type in a long and complex wireless password, i don't think anybody can crack it.
also you can change the password each month.

i think mac filter is not a good method to forbid lawless access, Ask your customer about their device's MAC address is very hard.
another, as far as i know, if you let the MAC filter work at disable mode, then all MAC address in the list will be blocked,
so if you want to use MAC filter, you must type in something manually, i think it's not good.
the device can't know which computer is lawless, so it can't help you to deny it.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 438

Replies: 2