Have to disconnect and connect PPPoE connection constantly to get the router to work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Have to disconnect and connect PPPoE connection constantly to get the router to work

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-14 01:51:25
Model: Archer C20  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 0.9.1 4.17 v0001.0 Build 200526 Rel.70733n(5553)

I have to take out the ethernet cable and reconnect it, or dial it up again. I have to do it multiple times  to get it to work (if I am lucky). 

I have tried factory resetting it. Upgraded to the the latest firmware. Cloned the MAC address. But the connection is pretty inconsistent when the router restarts, and I have to try connecting the wire multiple times before the connection becomes consistent. 

When I connect the wire directly to my computer, it connects at once and the connection is pretty consistent most of the times. This kind of tells me that it could be the ISP, but I am not sure. Could they wire have gone bad, or is it the router?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Have to disconnect and connect PPPoE connection constantly to get the router to work
2020-08-14 03:14:22

@soitchu 

Hello,

May I know who is your ISP?

How about the internet LED on the C20 when the internet drops, is it orange or green? Can you access its web interface at that time? If yes, what are the WAN IP address and default gateway?

Besides, please follow the instruction below to do some tests and tell me which case you belong to:
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2237/

If possible, you may get another router to test the line or modem to confirm if it is the ISP issue or the router issue, thanks.

Options
Re:Have to disconnect and connect PPPoE connection constantly to get the router to work
2020-08-15 09:04:26 - last edited 2020-08-15 09:12:59

My ISP is Excitel. The connection doesn't drop. It is either doesn't connect at all, or it is damn slow/no internet access, when it does. Yes, I can access the web interface at that time. Tried it on my last router, works fine.

I also contacted the ISP, and they told me to contact the customer service of the router.

Edit : I am case 2

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 745

Replies: 2