Deco M5 1.4.7 Firmware Update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Deco M5 1.4.7 Firmware Update

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
21 Reply
Re:Deco M5 1.4.7 Firmware Update
2020-09-09 10:11:05

@Saurabh_S Hi, yes, I'm aware. My gripe is the lack of functionality within it, unlike a majority of router devices (even within TP-Links' own product range)

Options
2020-09-13 17:51:32

@dk61 

I'm curious: Why do you wish to "select channels"??

What compelling functionality will it give you? The whole point of mesh networks is to give a seamless, unfettered and performant experience for wireless networking.

Virgin Media 200Mb+ SuperHub (Modem Mode) -> ASUS Router (WiFi Off) -> three Deco M5 units (in Access Point operating mode).
Options
2020-09-13 20:37:56

@Saurabh_S 

Thank you for your clarification. 

So are you personally and specifically experiencing these range issues and speed issues with lags and Frame drops...? 

I must be one of the lucky ones; humbly speaking I've experienced none of these issues. Perhaps I've positioned my four Deco nodes in some optimum way around my house. Or perhaps you have a faulty set of Deco nodes and should exchange these for a new set altogether? 

Virgin Media 200Mb+ SuperHub (Modem Mode) -> ASUS Router (WiFi Off) -> three Deco M5 units (in Access Point operating mode).
Options
2020-09-14 22:43:22 - last edited 2020-09-14 22:49:39

@Chiswick_Singh : congestion has little to do with the way you positioned your devices but rather the existence of other APs around your network - usually neighbors in the building etc.

i'll add and say that I am a happy Deco owner for its mesh capabilities but am VERY UNHAPPY with the way that TP-Link chooses to support this product line.

there have been 3 VERY simple issues which the support and development team simply chose to ignore / neglect despite dozens and dozens of user requests :

1. ability to disable DHCP service (on the Deco)

2. ability to choose wifi channel

3. ability to disable WPA

I own a small software company and have been in software development for the better part of the last 30 years and it is beyond my comprehension why would they ignore their users with such simple issues to implement.

I am truly perplexed.

Options
Re:Deco M5 1.4.7 Firmware Update-Solution
2020-09-15 03:37:14 - last edited 2020-09-15 03:37:20

Thanks @Chiswick_Singh for his professional and valued suggestions on this changing channel concern.

@AnonyOne 

We will soon release an official firmware to allow you to change the wireless security type on the Deco system in weeks, as for disabling the DHCP feature when Deco is working at AP mode, we will also give you the option on the later firmware updates in the future.

As for the changing channel request, just as Chiswick_Singh stated, this is how the Deco mesh system builds that it is conjunction of 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks, so the channel is not manually configurable. While our developers are working on this and will publish new official firmware in the near future, which will optimize the current channeling picking mechanism, it is suggested to wait for the new updates and confirm if that will help address any of your concerns.

Good days.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-09-15 09:15:41

AnonyOne wrote

@Chiswick_Singh : congestion has little to do with the....

@AnonyOne 

"Congestion"? - no one mentioned congestion on here :-)

In my local and intermediate vicinity I have counted 17 SSIDs - a mixture of 2.4G and 5G - confirmed using my Wifi Analyzer app. That's a lot of APs that should/could potentially be giving me issues to usurp my WiFi. And yet my WiFi is unaffected despite the congestion from neighbouring networks. The way mesh works is that it creates a ringfence or 'cocoon' within your own environment (i.e. home); in essence it represents the 'strongest' signal. Therefore the physical placement of my Decos wasn't random.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not being complacent, I'm probably just lucky. But then my intention was never to use the Deco in Router mode. I just wanted a powerful and reliable wireless nexus and Deco gives me that (in AP mode). Everthing else is handled by my (powerful) ASUS Router: DHCP, Nat'ing, Port Forwarding, Throttling, QoS, Firewall rules etc etc. I suppose the reason for this is that I consider myself a 'power user' and want the advanced options that give me extra functions and granularity to configure my network. The Deco doesn't give me that deep-level customisation; my ASUS router does. If I had to recommend a mesh to my mother-in-law it would be the Deco because it just works. ;-)

P.S. I will concede that the option to disable WPA should be present because of security concerns.

Options
2020-09-16 03:49:35

@Chiswick_Singh 

Hi, we have actually made a beta firmware for the Deco M5 to allow you to change the wireless security, here is what I answered some Deco M5 owners, you may give it a go:

https://community.tp-link.com/en/home/forum/topic/226502

Thanks a lot~

Options
2020-09-20 07:14:01

@Kingdaveontour1 

i have exactly the same issue! 5 decos purchased separately! The first 2 decos (in the order of purchase - as a two pack) are still on 1.4.4 while the last 3 decos I purchased (as a 3 pack) have just updated to 1.4.7!

Options
2020-10-05 00:58:16

@McFly 

I upgraded last week (I got some X20s so the M5s aren't as critical) and glad to see they are working beautifully.

Options
2021-02-18 18:47:40

@dk61 I have to be honest I wish I never upgraded the last firmware on thr 5 Deco M5s I have. Since then they have been terribly unstable. They were solid prior to that and if I could roll back I would. 

TP link need to look at this urgently. 

Options
Related Articles