RE505X Functionality Questions

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-17 04:12:24
Model: RE505X  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi,

Backgound

I have a single level 4 bedroom house, about 250 square meters. Currently I have a 100/20 Mbps Fibre Internet connection, an AC WiFi router and an AC WiFi range extender to minimise dead spots at the other end of the house. Overall this setup works well for fixed devices but roaming devices (phones, tablets) are a bit of a pain becasue they often hold onto the router wifi SSID too long and experience very slow speeds or drops instead of swapping to the wifi extender SSID. The number of connected devices is increasing (currently about 14 inc smart devices) and I'm upgrading to a 900/500 Mbps Fibre internet connection shortly so I'd like to upgrate the house WiFi to ensure all devices work seemlessly and have the best possible connection speed. 

Specifc questions regarding RE505X

1. If I keep my curent AC WiFi router and have the RE505X in bride/extender mode will it extend the AC WiFi or provide AX WiFI?
  2. If I run some ethernet cabling to the centre of my house and have the RE505X in AP mode does it operate in AX mode?
  3. Am I best to simply turn off the router WiFi and purchase a 2 pack Deco X60 mesh kit? 

Would appreciate any help or advice.

Options
3 Reply
Re:RE505X Functionality Questions
2020-08-17 05:46:16

@Gavzda 

Good day.

For your case, no matter It is wirelessly connected to the router, or by Ethernet cable as the access point mode, RE505x would broadcast AX Wi-Fi.

But since the main router is AC standard, the final internet speed would be still limited to AC standard.

So if you wish to have a seamless mesh system and the final wireless speed is not limited by the AC standard, Deco X60 mesh kit would be a better option.

Thank you very much.

Options
2020-08-17 06:31:37

@Solla-topee 

Thanks for the reply.

If I was to hard wire the RE505X to the router as an AP then WiFi connected devices would get maximaum AX speed, not limited by AC.

I'm tending towards the Deco X60 becasue it will guarantee AX coverage over whole house and should allow roaming devices (phones & tablets) to stay with the same SSID, not have to reconnect to a different SSID.

I believe that if I was to use a Deco X60 kit I'd still have to keep my router, is that correct? So final solution would be:

ISP Router <---wired---> Deco X60 Node - - - wifi - - - Deco X60 Node

Options
2020-08-18 02:44:07
Yes, you are right
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1013

Replies: 3

Related Articles