Ethernet Backhaul Not Working

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-19 11:15:38
Model: Deco P7  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version: 1.4.2 Build 20200408 Rel 73944

Ethernet back haul is not working on my P7 Decos.  I had a D-Link switch but the TP Link site said that those switches cause problems for the ethernet backhaul function so I purchased two tp-link 8-port gigabit switches to replace my 16-port D-Link switch. As you can imagine, this was a very expensive investment because now I have a 16 Port D-Link switch that I cannot use.   But regardless, even after I replaced the switch, ethernet backhaul still does not work. I tried turning off the guest Network and that had no effect. I also Rebooted the routers multiple times to see if the Deco that is connected via Ethernet cable would switch from using the power line to using the ethernet connection, but that also had no effect. I also tested the ethernet cable to make sure that it is working correctly and it is. This connection is a Cat6 connection.

Now that I have spent all of this additional money and the ethernet backhaul function is still not working correctly, I need TP link to provide me with some support to solve this problem. It is very frustrating! This feature should not be so difficult to implement. It should really be Plug and Play.

Options
7 Reply
Re:Ethernet Backhaul Not Working
2020-08-19 17:02:17

@KevinCH out of interest how do you know it's now working? I am looking tomuse ethernet backhaul but have no idea how to tell it is functioning.

Options
2020-08-25 07:10:45

@KevinCH 

Hello,

Sorry to hear that the Deco P7 failed to build up the Ethernet backhaul. Please confirm some details and we can try to fix it together. 

1. What is the current network topology/diagram? How many Deco P7s do you have in total and how are they connected?

2. What is the model number of the gigabit switch, is it TL-SG1008? What if you remove the switch temporarily from the network and connect the Deco P7 together, will they be able to build up the Ethernet backhaul?

3. Try to reset the Deco P7 to factory defaults and reconfigure it from scratch, then confirm again if they can build up the Ethernet backhaul when adding the switch back into the network.

@atca You may confirm this by clicking the Internet icon on your Deco app (ensure it is the latest version)->tap the satellite Deco, then you will see the satellite Deco’s signal source. For more details, you may refer to the below FAQ:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1794/

Good day.

Options
2020-08-25 20:56:55

@TP-Link_Deco 

1. What is the current network topology/diagram? How many Deco P7s do you have in total and how are they connected? I have 5 P7s.  One of them is connected via ethernet backhaul and the rest of them are connected via wireless or via powerline.

2. What is the model number of the gigabit switch, is it TL-SG1008? It is TL-SG108. What if you remove the switch temporarily from the network and connect the Deco P7 together, will they be able to build up the Ethernet backhaul? I have not tried that yet because this network is located in a different house.  I will have to wait until I go back to that house in order to test this.  However, it's important for you to understand that I had an expensive D-Link 16-port switch and I removed that and purchased 2 of your TL-SG108 swtiches because your tech support blog says that D-Link switches prevent the ethernet backhaul from working correctly.  It appears that I wasted my money buying the 2 TL-SG108 switches...

3. Try to reset the Deco P7 to factory defaults and reconfigure it from scratch, then confirm again if they can build up the Ethernet backhaul when adding the switch back into the network. I really don't want to do this because it will take time to reconfigure everything.  Are you sure you can't solve this problem so that I don't have to erase the router's configuration?

@atca You may confirm this by clicking the Internet icon on your Deco app (ensure it is the latest version)->tap the satellite Deco, then you will see the satellite Deco’s signal source. For more details, you may refer to the below FAQ:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1794/

Options
2020-08-27 08:30:11

@KevinCH 

Hello, terribly sorry for all the inconvenience caused in this case, but don't worry that we will try our best to figure it out.

Can I confirm your network layout again?

Modem--->Main Deco P7 (Router mode)--->SG108--->2nd P7, all other P7s are connected wirelessly or via PLC backhaul

BTW, we will contact you via email to follow up your case, please check your email box and respond.

Thanks.

Options
2020-08-27 11:19:02

TP-Link_Deco wrote

@KevinCH 

Hello, terribly sorry for all the inconvenience caused in this case, but don't worry that we will try our best to figure it out.

Can I confirm your network layout again?

Modem--->Main Deco P7 (Router mode)--->SG108--->2nd P7, all other P7s are connected wirelessly or via PLC backhaul

BTW, we will contact you via email to follow up your case, please check your email box and respond.

Thanks.

@TP-Link_Deco 

Hi,

I have tried a couple of different configurations:

1.  the one you described above and

2. Modem-->sg108-->main deco and kitchen deco connected ethernet to the switch (not in series), with all other decor connected wirelessly or via powering

unfortunately, both of the configurations I've described above produce the same results -  the kitchen p7 does not utilize the ethernet backhaul.

please let me know if you have any ideas on how to improve the configuration. 

Thank you

Options
2021-08-18 10:10:06

@KevinCH 

I have the same issue with the same switch (TP-Link SG-108). These are unmanaged switches so there should be no loop back prevention feature (or at least a method to disable it). 

Has anyone heard of any fix?

Options
2022-01-30 22:17:53 - last edited 2022-01-30 22:23:54

Having the same issue with the same switch (TP-Link TL-SG108S bought from Amazon).

My test setup is:

Modem → Deco S4 (main) → TL-SG108S (switch) → Deco S4 (Decos in router mode)

The Ethernet backhaul does not work in that case. The Decos connect to each other over WiFi.

It only works if there is no switch in between:

Modem → Deco S4 (main) → Deco S4 (Decos in router mode)

I have bought the switch after reading suggestions in the TP-Link guide to use TP-Link switches. 

@TP-Link_Deco Can you confirm whether the TL-SG108S switch is the issue? Do you have a recommendation on a switch that definitely works with the Deco?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1631

Replies: 7

Related Articles