Archer C6 : Speed through router is capped at 10Mbps

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-19 12:01:53 - last edited 2020-08-21 07:55:26
Model: Archer A6  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.3.5 build 20200630

Hi

The internet speed over both wired and wireless connections through the router is capped at 10 Mbps. it never goes above that. If i plug the internet cable directly into my PC, i get speeds upto 150Mbps ( that's the internet plan i have). I use ACT Fibernet Service. 

This is a new Archer C6 router ( been using it for 2 weeks now). It was working fine but on it's own without any changes in settings of the router, this issue popped up and I haven't been able to find a solution. 

Please help.

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Archer C6 : Speed through router is capped at 10Mbps-Solution
2020-08-21 07:55:22 - last edited 2020-08-21 07:55:26

@Rosh21 

Hi,

For the LAN negotiation issue you encountered, please try the below suggestions and get back to the community with the details if it cannot be solved, thanks.
1. Login to the web UI of the Archer C6 and go to the Basic-Network map page, click the Archer C6 image/icon and scroll down this page, you will see the ethernet negotiation speed of the LAN ports, show us the screenshot:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2472/
2. Go to Advanced-system tools-system parameters to edit the duplex, change it to 1000Mbps full-duplex.
3. After that, try to test the negotiation speed on your PC again. It is strongly suggested to change another cat5e or above cable. 
4. It is also suggested to change another wired device with gigabit ethernet ports to do a test. 

If none of the above works, please tell us the brand and model number of the gigabit ethernet adapter on that PC, we will check and investigate further.

Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Archer C6 : Speed through router is capped at 10Mbps-Solution
2020-08-21 07:55:22 - last edited 2020-08-21 07:55:26

@Rosh21 

Hi,

For the LAN negotiation issue you encountered, please try the below suggestions and get back to the community with the details if it cannot be solved, thanks.
1. Login to the web UI of the Archer C6 and go to the Basic-Network map page, click the Archer C6 image/icon and scroll down this page, you will see the ethernet negotiation speed of the LAN ports, show us the screenshot:

https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2472/
2. Go to Advanced-system tools-system parameters to edit the duplex, change it to 1000Mbps full-duplex.
3. After that, try to test the negotiation speed on your PC again. It is strongly suggested to change another cat5e or above cable. 
4. It is also suggested to change another wired device with gigabit ethernet ports to do a test. 

If none of the above works, please tell us the brand and model number of the gigabit ethernet adapter on that PC, we will check and investigate further.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Archer C6 : Speed through router is capped at 10Mbps
2020-08-21 11:57:46

@Kevin_Z 

Thanks for getting back to me Kevin.

I followed the steps that you suggested. I can see that the internet negotiation speed is at 10Mbps full duplex, while the LAN negotiation speed is at 1000Mbps full duplex.
I changed the negotiation speed in the system parametres but the seetings do not apply. I tried this a couple of times but it didn't take.

Also, I checked the system log and found that with other settings like NAT, PPP, UPnP, etc. get recorded in the log but the negotiation speed changes ( when settings altered ) doesn't show up in the log. ( I'm not sure if this is normal behaviour or not).

I tried using different Cat5e cables to connect PC to router and also checked the same with another laptop, got the same results.

Ethernet port: Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM

In the Ethernet status it says  Speed  :   1.0Gbps

Router model I'm using is Archer C6 (EU) Ver 2.0
Firmware version : 1.3.5 build 20200630 rel. 57406 (4555)

Let me know what can I do further. 

thanks

File:
internet snapshot.JPGDownload
Options
2020-08-26 08:51:07

@Rosh21 

Hi,

What is the length of the Ethernet cable between your modem and the C6, in other words, what is the distance between them? Is it the same cable when you are testing the speed with your modem directly?

Is it possible to get a gigabit switch to perform a test? And it is suggested to use a shorter cable and confirm again.

Good days.

Options
2020-11-03 05:05:33

@Kevin_Z 
I am getting Full ISP Speed of 50 Mbps on my laptop.

When connected to  the router wired or wireless  I get 10 Mbps and it doesnt cross that.

Manually changing the duplex speed also doesnt help.

Options
2020-11-04 05:41:55

@suryan221 

Hi, it is suggested to try with different cat5e or cat6 cables between the modem and the WAN port of the C6, ensure the connection between the modem and C6 is good.

If the above doesn't work, try to reset the C6 and reconfigure it from scratch, then confirm, don't edit the advanced settings and just leave them by default.

Have a nice day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6289

Replies: 5