New M9+, can't connect clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-21 18:54:05 - last edited 2020-08-28 09:29:56
Model: Deco M9 Plus  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.4.2 Build 20200725 Rel. 65637

Hi,

I just got a 3-pack Deco M9 Plus and set it up. Other than my phone that I used to configure it, I couldn't connect any other wireless clients. So I looked for a firmware upgrade (it came with 2019xxxx, and there was no way to upgrade using the app (said that FW was current) or the web (no web interface with that FW). Luckily, I found the update program in another thread, and it worked, so now I'm on 1.4.2 Build 20200725 Rel. 65637.  I hoped that would fix the issue (at least it allowed me to see status using a web browser, even though I can't really configure much).

Unfortunately, none of my other wireless devices would connect. I turned off 5GHz and that didn't make a difference. I turned on the guest network and had the same result. I changed the password on the guest network to something really simple, and eventually it worked, but I don't like having a simple password on it. 

Also, I haven't changed the password on the main wifi network, as I'm concerned that my phone will lose its connection and I won't be able to change anything (since the web interface hardly allows me to change anything at all). 

I've tried turning fast roaming off, as well as beamforming, and neither of those makes a difference. 

The only other thing I can think of is that I still have an old router still on the network, which allows the other devices to still get wireless access until I get my Deco working correctly, It is just functioning as an access point without DHCP enabled -- it was doing the same thing before adding the Deco (I replaced another router with the Deco). Seems that shouldn't have any effect on what I'm doing, though...

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

andy

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:New M9+, can't connect clients-Solution
2020-08-27 22:00:41 - last edited 2020-08-28 09:29:56

@TP-Link_Deco 

Thanks for your reply.

I tested everything you said (or already had tested it), and nothing helped. So I decided to try changing the password on the main network, and when I selected it in the app to edit it, I noticed, much to my surprise, that the cursor was NOT at the end of the password I had specified -- rather, it was ONE character past it! In other words, there was a space at the end of the password (that didn't show up when clicking on the button to show the password).  I then changed the password, making sure the new one didn't end in a space, and the problem was solved!

So I feel a bit silly. It turns out that the keyboard app I use on my phone automatically adds spaces after punctuation marks, and that password ended with one of those characters. It never occurred to me that this would be an issue (as I've always configured my routers from a web interface on my desktop, which doesn't have that situation).

I suppose it makes sense to allow passphrases and such to end with spaces, but it sure had me worried for a while! It would be nice, however, if the "show password" option had some way of indicating the trailing space(s).

At least it's working now! Thanks again!

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:New M9+, can't connect clients
2020-08-27 03:21:13

@avsfan 

Hello,

Is there any error message when you try to connect to the M9 main wireless on your wireless devices? Do they support 2.4GHz only? What are those devices?

You may try to create a simple wireless network name and check whether it can be detected correctly:
https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/1591/

If still cannot connect, try to disable fast roaming, setup QoS as standard, and clear all the high priority rules. You may also disable the anti-virus.

May it help and have a good day.

Options
Re:New M9+, can't connect clients-Solution
2020-08-27 22:00:41 - last edited 2020-08-28 09:29:56

@TP-Link_Deco 

Thanks for your reply.

I tested everything you said (or already had tested it), and nothing helped. So I decided to try changing the password on the main network, and when I selected it in the app to edit it, I noticed, much to my surprise, that the cursor was NOT at the end of the password I had specified -- rather, it was ONE character past it! In other words, there was a space at the end of the password (that didn't show up when clicking on the button to show the password).  I then changed the password, making sure the new one didn't end in a space, and the problem was solved!

So I feel a bit silly. It turns out that the keyboard app I use on my phone automatically adds spaces after punctuation marks, and that password ended with one of those characters. It never occurred to me that this would be an issue (as I've always configured my routers from a web interface on my desktop, which doesn't have that situation).

I suppose it makes sense to allow passphrases and such to end with spaces, but it sure had me worried for a while! It would be nice, however, if the "show password" option had some way of indicating the trailing space(s).

At least it's working now! Thanks again!

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:New M9+, can't connect clients
2020-08-28 09:31:39

@avsfan 

Hi, glad to hear that it works, congrats.^_^

Thanks a lot for your valued suggestions, which have been noted and we will record then feedback to the engineers to evaluate.

If need any further help, just let us know.

Good day.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 338

Replies: 3

Related Articles